Is your HUB as screwed up as mine?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I've heard that in the past it wasnt as hectic as it is now. The PASS system nowadays is only for them to say speed it up, drop more in cars at a time and with more accuracy. My building went threw a change not too long ago. Most cars werent even getting 150 packages a day. Now it seems you cant get a car to stay under 350.

Packing, accuracy and speed is all that matters. We got to take control of air, apds too. My side of the house got 2100. 420 for the kid in front of me who splits and I got 1680. At one point they pulled all three others working there and I was forced to load 8 cars for about 45 minutes. I have also gain a few more responsibilities for this week, plus a few I still have.

I have to clock in 20 minutes early to set up two air bays. One of the decks weights 300+ pounds. There were 2 people that set it daily. Im force to do it all my own. I show up way early to set it up because it takes longer then 20 mintues to do so. Im forced to work off the clock just to get this burden out of the way.

Next im off to resends where I empty out the remainder, put on belt scratch off hins, slide them down, pull them off and load up a trolly.

By this time im already pooring sweat due to 86 degrees and 100% humidity. This is before a shift.

Oh yea, UPS is totally what it used to be. I've heard years ago before PASS there were 10 - 15 missloads a night. In some cases that many in each car. The amount wasnt as much. And in some states, cities is still isnt. Im sure the past isnt as bad as you make it compared todays standerds.

Oh, I see grammars and speellings are still hip on teh internets. Grow up, writing after a shift is tough. Trying to form a complete verbal sentence after preloading is near an impossible feat.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
At our building you sign ipods, mp3, cell phones, etc. in when you come through the guardshack. Everyone is allowed to listen to music if they choose. The only people who aren't required to check phones in and out are the drivers, (don't ask me why. No idea). As far as UPS being compared to the military, slight resemblance at best. If you want freedom to do as you wish when you wish, UPS offers you the freedom to end your service with them at any point for any reason. The military doesn't. Get over it.

I like them methods, checking in all goods before a shift. Must be nice!

Hey, did I say it being like the military was a bad thing? You people take way too much out of context. Did I say I was gonna quit? Wow, theres some serious poor reading comprehension amist here.

Most of you people sound like your in the Union. It has destoryed this country. Look at what the Union has done to GM. Charging so much for a car that wasnt worth it because all the money needed to support union infused contracts. You know UPS is heading that way too. Sooner or later you will see it. The demand of increased pay for workers and drivers keeps getting rasied. People will stop using the serivces for cheaper outlets, as they do today. Yet not on a grander scale.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Hey, did I say it being like the military was a bad thing? You people take way too much out of context. Did I say I was gonna quit? Wow, theres some serious poor reading comprehension amist here.

Most of you people sound like your in the Union. It has destoryed this country. Look at what the Union has done to GM. Charging so much for a car that wasnt worth it because all the money needed to support union infused contracts. You know UPS is heading that way too. Sooner or later you will see it. The demand of increased pay for workers and drivers keeps getting rasied. People will stop using the serivces for cheaper outlets, as they do today. Yet not on a grander scale.
You sure do have a lot of interesting views. I guess the fact that GM has made billions and billions in profits that did not go to their union employees, has nothing to do with their downfall. Now you're predicting that because UPS is union as well, they will also fall. What about the hundreds of police and firefighters that are union? Will those cities go bankrupt as well?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've heard that in the past it wasnt as hectic as it is now. The PASS system nowadays is only for them to say speed it up, drop more in cars at a time and with more accuracy. My building went threw a change not too long ago. Most cars werent even getting 150 packages a day. Now it seems you cant get a car to stay under 350.

Packing, accuracy and speed is all that matters. We got to take control of air, apds too. My side of the house got 2100. 420 for the kid in front of me who splits and I got 1680. At one point they pulled all three others working there and I was forced to load 8 cars for about 45 minutes. I have also gain a few more responsibilities for this week, plus a few I still have.

I have to clock in 20 minutes early to set up two air bays. One of the decks weights 300+ pounds. There were 2 people that set it daily. Im force to do it all my own. I show up way early to set it up because it takes longer then 20 mintues to do so. Im forced to work off the clock just to get this burden out of the way.

Next im off to resends where I empty out the remainder, put on belt scratch off hins, slide them down, pull them off and load up a trolly.

By this time im already pooring sweat due to 86 degrees and 100% humidity. This is before a shift.

Oh yea, UPS is totally what it used to be. I've heard years ago before PASS there were 10 - 15 missloads a night. In some cases that many in each car. The amount wasnt as much. And in some states, cities is still isnt. Im sure the past isnt as bad as you make it compared todays standerds.

Oh, I see grammars and speellings are still hip on teh internets. Grow up, writing after a shift is tough. Trying to form a complete verbal sentence after preloading is near an impossible feat.

Seems like you are vying for admiration and some type of recognition.

Wrong company. You set the bar, the company doesn't.

So who is to blame in the end? For your working off the clock (cheating other people of hours)? For being overworked? For not being able to complete a sentence?

The company?

I strongly disagree. :dead:

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I think you may have missed something. If anything it was not charging too much for a car, it was overproducing those silly SUVs that inherently WERE overpriced, and soccer moms either could not afford due to the economy - so they sit on the lot in millions - or each soccer mom already bought one in America that was going to buy one, and there were no more buyers for them.

The idea of comparing GM to UPS is an apples to orange argument if there ever was one. UPS's only competition is FedEx at this point. GM has many, many competitors.

UPS can ship packages in a poor economic climate, perhaps not as many, but the work will be there. But do people go on a whim and buy a car as easily as shipping a package? Apples to oranges.

Is it the unions fault that GM signed checks their bodies couldnt cash? Is it the union that forced these auto makers to mass produce vehicles that would not sell?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
It takes 2 sides to negotiate a contract. GM and the UAW agreed to the terms of the contract. If it was that bad of a deal GM shouldn't have agreed to it. My ex-wife works for the auto industry and I can't believe some of the crap that goes on but the company agreed to the contact. Comparing the Teamsters and UPS to GM and the UAW is ridiculous.

Whine whine whine. How about you do one peak before you start crying about how hard your job is. If you keep this attitude you will not make it, sorry.

As a preloader, what can headphones be a distraction to? People can think while listening to music. Its not like you go into some kind of zone of nothingness.
I'm not trying to drown out the voices, but rather that annoying buzzing noise that goes off every other second along with the humming of the belt.
I think preloading provides a great opportunity to listen to your music. It's like working out with music.
It's easy going 4 hours without music, but going in mon-fri having to see and hear the same ole stuff gets pretty dull sometimes.

I must be confused...are you getting paid to work or, getting paid to listen to music?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Whine whine whine. How about you do one peak before you start crying about how hard your job is. If you keep this attitude you will not make it, sorry.

I've worked peak, and it was easy. Why? They give you more time to do it in. More time at cages or feeders means a even quicker clock out.

I guess 1680 in less then four hours isnt too hard then, lulz. But that amount in 5 or more is even harder.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
It takes 2 sides to negotiate a contract. GM and the UAW agreed to the terms of the contract. If it was that bad of a deal GM shouldn't have agreed to it. My ex-wife works for the auto industry and I can't believe some of the crap that goes on but the company agreed to the contact. Comparing the Teamsters and UPS to GM and the UAW is ridiculous.

Teamsters are teamsters to me, they are all alike.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I think you may have missed something. If anything it was not charging too much for a car, it was overproducing those silly SUVs that inherently WERE overpriced, and soccer moms either could not afford due to the economy - so they sit on the lot in millions - or each soccer mom already bought one in America that was going to buy one, and there were no more buyers for them.

The idea of comparing GM to UPS is an apples to orange argument if there ever was one. UPS's only competition is FedEx at this point. GM has many, many competitors.

UPS can ship packages in a poor economic climate, perhaps not as many, but the work will be there. But do people go on a whim and buy a car as easily as shipping a package? Apples to oranges.

Is it the unions fault that GM signed checks their bodies couldnt cash? Is it the union that forced these auto makers to mass produce vehicles that would not sell?

Oh I agree, and your point is presented better then others. A car (supply) to a service is entirely a different ball game.

What Im referring is the way Unions push for more pay for the workers of these businesses. Look at the people who built those cars, you know how much they were getting paid an hour? 167 dollars an hour, and most of them hardly do anything. I agree, the product they were making was way too expensive for the times ahead. The overseas makers made a killing because they offered a better product for 1/3 the cost. Who would you buy from?

The service for UPS is cheap compared to the prices of shipping. They pay me well for 20 hours a week, in hours that is. They pay drivers very well. But the stuff in the car overshadows anything we earn in a week. In the time I've been here propably made this company billions. And Im just one person.

On the other hand, people buy way too much in this country. They claim repo or foreclosure when they really couldnt afford it to begin with. I here people crying on the news all the time about it. The problem lays in goverment. The passed laws stating that banks couldnt turn anyone from getting a loan. The banks well knowingly knew these people had no chance at paying them back.

One story was about this exmilitary guy whinning about him getting close to losing everything. When asked what he had and his job, it was obvious whos fault it really was. He owned a big truck, trailer, house, baby and one on the way. He was only making 25,000 a year. Duh, Americans have seemed to have forgotten reality it seems.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Oh I agree, and your point is presented better then others. A car (supply) to a service is entirely a different ball game.

What Im referring is the way Unions push for more pay for the workers of these businesses. Look at the people who built those cars, you know how much they were getting paid an hour? 167 dollars an hour, and most of them hardly do anything. I agree, the product they were making was way too expensive for the times ahead. The overseas makers made a killing because they offered a better product for 1/3 the cost. Who would you buy from?

The service for UPS is cheap compared to the prices of shipping. They pay me well for 20 hours a week, in hours that is. They pay drivers very well. But the stuff in the car overshadows anything we earn in a week. In the time I've been here propably made this company billions. And Im just one person.

On the other hand, people buy way too much in this country. They claim repo or foreclosure when they really couldnt afford it to begin with. I here people crying on the news all the time about it. The problem lays in goverment. The passed laws stating that banks couldnt turn anyone from getting a loan. The banks well knowingly knew these people had no chance at paying them back.

One story was about this exmilitary guy whinning about him getting close to losing everything. When asked what he had and his job, it was obvious whos fault it really was. He owned a big truck, trailer, house, baby and one on the way. He was only making 25,000 a year. Duh, Americans have seemed to have forgotten reality it seems.

I think this alone says you should do a bit more reading and thinking for yourself. The top rate for those union workers was not much higher than UPS drivers - near $30/hr (it was actually 28/hr a couple years ago). That is my understanding.

If autoworkers were making 167/hr (which is in reality 5x what they are actually making), those car companies would have shut down operations years ago and outsourced overseas at least in part immediately.

BEyond that you are correct in part with the loans. People were and are living well outside the "comfort zone" as to what they could afford COMFORTABLY.

How about this one? Just recently my center sup told me that he purposely had to secretly misload some packages into my car so that he can write down that he found them.
He said something about "assaulting" me. He said that he would prefer not to play that game and told me just to say that I was "assaulted" if some other guy try to ask me.
Another time I had 12 misloads in one car when I knew I had NONE! I took the time at the end of the day to check for misloads and some how I came up with 12.

I just make sure I do my job safely(which means at my own comfortable pace) and do my job to the best of my ability. Screw the sups numbers. I get paid hourly and not by how many boxes I load.

Sups have nothing better to do than to harass their workers. That is what they are getting paid to do. I just ignore them though.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How about this one? Just recently my center sup told me that he purposely had to secretly misload some packages into my car so that he can write down that he found them.
He said something about "assaulting" me. He said that he would prefer not to play that game and told me just to say that I was "assaulted" if some other guy try to ask me.
Another time I had 12 misloads in one car when I knew I had NONE! I took the time at the end of the day to check for misloads and some how I came up with 12.

I just make sure I do my job safely(which means at my own comfortable pace) and do my job to the best of my ability. Screw the sups numbers. I get paid hourly and not by how many boxes I load.

Sups have nothing better to do than to harass their workers. That is what they are getting paid to do. I just ignore them though.

LOL

I think you mean "salted". Salt is when a supervisor tests you by setting up missorts to see if you are reading labels (for ex)