Is your UPS check enough? Are you making it?

Over70irregs

The average payment on a new home is now at a record $2,750/month. The average house is now renting for a record $1,900/month. The average new car payment is now at a record $733/month. The average used car payment is now at a record $530/month. The average student loan payment will be $500/month when payments resume. The average gallon of gas is now nearing $4.00 again. The average household credit card balance is now at a record $7,300. The average household will have $0 of excess savings by the end of this quarter. How are you making it?

DriverNerd

My biggest complaint is feeding four people (compared to lodging and cars this isn't much) but I can't get out of the grocery store without spending $300.

over9five

Staff member
The average payment on a new home is now at a record $2,750/month. The average house is now renting for a record $1,900/month. The average new car payment is now at a record $733/month. The average used car payment is now at a record $530/month. The average student loan payment will be $500/month when payments resume. The average gallon of gas is now nearing $4.00 again. The average household credit card balance is now at a record $7,300. The average household will have $0 of excess savings by the end of this quarter. How are you making it?

My biggest complaint is feeding four people (compared to lodging and cars this isn't much) but I can't get out of the grocery store without spending $300.
FJB

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
I echo the food cost issue. Personally, we've been able to avoid the rest of the list. Housing is affordable, cars are paid for, and CC and student loan debt are non-existent. But, we have three hungry boys between 4 and 8. One of our choices we've made is to try and not feed them garbage. We eat gluten free as everyone in our house feels better when we do. We try and buy organic as much as possible.
We do try and offset that by raising and growing as much food as we can. It helps, but still feels like it's a big battle.

Siveriano

I still my first check, was something around $650 after all deductions, I was so happy and fell for it, changed my life style, the more I made, the more I spent.
Living paycheck to paycheck was not good, turned my financials around and its been 4 years since I stop spending money just for the heck of it, started saving, paid my credit cards, paid my card 1 year earlier.
Currently I'm renting but is low cost, and I don't see a point on getting a home at the moment with the current market prices, have saved up a considerable amount of funds, roth ira maxed at 6.5k, 401k with 22% contribution rate.

Two more expensive bills are Car insurance and rent, but with 1.5 weeks it gets covered, the remaining 2.5 weeks are for food and savings.
Single, no kids, no debt, no problems.
Takes a bit of research and a lot of will power to stay on budget but once you see 2+ months of paycheck just sitting on your bank account, it just hits different, not having to check upsers at 3am on a Wednesday to see how much you are getting on Friday, not checking your bank account on Friday at 3am to see how much you got paid, going on vacation for 2 weeks and not worrying about the 2 weeks that you wont get a deposit (even tho you got paid in advance).

I'm really grateful with UPS and with myself for having the discipline to achieved this financial freedom