Is your UPS check enough? Are you making it?

Pullman Brown

The average payment on a new home is now at a record $2,750/month. The average house is now renting for a record $1,900/month. The average new car payment is now at a record $733/month. The average used car payment is now at a record $530/month. The average student loan payment will be $500/month when payments resume. The average gallon of gas is now nearing $4.00 again. The average household credit card balance is now at a record $7,300. The average household will have $0 of excess savings by the end of this quarter. How are you making it?

All these purchases were made in the old world before Covid! You can think the neo-Marxist governments of the old Yankee empire that started in the war of Northern Aggression. Jeffrey Davis was right the federal government would continue to grow and abuse its authority if the South didn’t resist and secede! He was right and the consequences are still being felt up till today!

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
I work to provide a good living for my wife so she can run her/our household! She has her side gig for herself which brings some spending money! I’m cool with that, but she knows who’s in charge and loves it! Alpha!
Same. My wife hates spending money. And if she does, it's on stuff the kids need. I never even question what she buys. I'm fortunate.

BobJ

Same. My wife hates spending money. And if she does, it's on stuff the kids need. I never even question what she buys. I'm fortunate.

I work to provide a good living for my wife so she can run her/our household! She has her side gig for herself which brings some spending money! I’m cool with that, but she knows who’s in charge and loves it! Alpha!

That's not how it works when you're married.
Unless you're a beta male.
Two guys at work hid money from their wives in separate bank accounts. The wives made better money (pharmacist and real estate) than the UPS husband; The women controlled the finances and they lived it up.

Everything was great...Until the wives decided to quit working. Just didn't want to work anymore. No kids. Finances got tight.

One eventually got a divorce. He got lucky when she agreed to a payout. She got the house too, but he kept his UPS pension.
The other is still married. He kept it together until his wife eventually went back to work, part time. They got therapy.

These events happened about a decade apart with both telling me (at the time)how important it was to keep a "hidden" fund. If their wives had known about all of their money, it would have been spent to nothing.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Two guys at work hid money from their wives in separate bank accounts. The wives made better money (pharmacist and real estate) than the UPS husband; The women controlled the finances and they lived it up.

Everything was great...Until the wives decided to quit working. Just didn't want to work anymore. No kids. Finances got tight.

One eventually got a divorce. He got lucky when she agreed to a payout. She got the house too, but he kept his UPS pension.
The other is still married. He kept it together until his wife eventually went back to work, part time. They got therapy.

These events happened about a decade apart with both telling me (at the time)how important it was to keep a "hidden" fund. If their wives had known about all of their money, it would have been spent to nothing.
Certainly worth the risk when her lawyer and the judge find out about it.

BobJ

Certainly worth the risk when her lawyer and the judge find out about it.
The guy offered a large payout and she accepted right away. She never questioned it.

He could have disclosed everything during the process, but apparently she just wanted out; didn't even want the pension because she would have to deal with him again when he retired.

Of course, i'm only hearing his side of this...

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
The guy offered a large payout and she accepted right away. She never questioned it.

He could have disclosed everything during the process, but apparently she just wanted out; didn't even want the pension because she would have to deal with him again when he retired.

Of course, i'm only hearing his side of this...
My comment was about the “hiding money” strategy. Probably works in 10% of the cases, but who wants to do that for decades while they’re waiting to get divorced? Huh???

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

We were saving money and had no debt other than car payments and a mortgage. Inflation hit and we eliminated spending and that got us back in the green, but ran out of things to cut. We took advantage of the inflated housing market and bailed on our old house. It was a great house but in a horrendous neighborhood that was getting worse by the day and we got walloped by the jacked up interest rates. Right now we’re just skating by, sometimes losing but never gaining ground in terms of savings, but we have a large amount of cash to fall back on from the house sale. If it stays stagnant and prices stay up we’ll eventually burn through our savings. Hasn’t been long enough to see how our raise helps. Fortunately work has picked up and I’m getting OT everyday now. We’ll see how it goes. This is the first time in my life I’ve worried about our financial security.

We were saving money and had no debt other than car payments and a mortgage. Inflation hit and we eliminated spending and that got us back in the green, but ran out of things to cut. We took advantage of the inflated housing market and bailed on our old house. It was a great house but in a horrendous neighborhood that was getting worse by the day and we got walloped by the jacked up interest rates. Right now we’re just skating by, sometimes losing but never gaining ground in terms of savings, but we have a large amount of cash to fall back on from the house sale. If it stays stagnant and prices stay up we’ll eventually burn through our savings. Hasn’t been long enough to see how our raise helps. Fortunately work has picked up and I’m getting OT everyday now. We’ll see how it goes. This is the first time in my life I’ve worried about our financial security.
Hopefully you take advantage of the current higher interest rates with your extra cash.

I've been with my wife for almost 20 years and we still have separate checking and savings.

BobJ

We just never integrated. Not even a real reason.
What do you do when there is a big purchase?

Does it cause a problem when she spent the money for "us" so it doesn't count as a "her" purchase?
-I've heard this complaint from a lot of married guys. Especially when splitting tax refund money.

What do you do when there is a big purchase?

Does it cause a problem when she spent the money for "us" so it doesn't count as a "her" purchase?
-I've heard this complaint from a lot of married guys. Especially when splitting tax refund money.
Never came up. I buy what I want, she buys what she wants, we plan everything in between. It probably helps that she makes a little more than I do.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Sad they went through that and still couldn't figure out that having separate accounts was a part of their problem to begin with.