Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest. I just wanted to let you know that there will be some service disruptions here over the next few days. We're moving to a new server and then the latest version of xenforo is going to be installed. ~ cheryl

Issued Intent to Suspend notice

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by PTPeanuts, Oct 7, 2019.

1. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

The Local's Principal Officer and/or the Local Unions executive board.

I thought everyone knew this ?

Why would it matter ?

2. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

The fam

3. BigUnionGuy

How many Teamsters does it take.... to screw in a light bulb ?

4. How many leaders does it take to screw the Teamsters?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. BigUnionGuy

As many as it takes.

You gotta a problem with that ?

:biggrin:

Old Teamster joke.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

Seriously? Think about that for a moment. And yes- my question was rhetorical....

7. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

About the only time we saw a BA in my building was right before a union officers election. Then he would be out in the parking lot handing out t-shirts, caps and handshakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

Supervisors are supposed to know when a situation may fall under FMLA, and they carry more of the burden of that understanding than employees. I wasn't bringing that up to explain the process, merely to help the OP with his particular circumstances. He informed his direct supervisor of his condition, and the supervisor did not point him in the right direction. He can use that fact to support his attempt to have his prior absences covered by FMLA when he talks to HR.

9. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

The employee may discuss the reason for leave, or not. No supervisor determines what are FMLA circumstances and what are not.

10. zubenelgenubi

I didn't say they determine it. They are expected, as representatives of the company, to recognize what situations might be covered by it and facilitate getting the ball rolling. Failure to do so can open the company up to liability for any damages suffered by the employee.

Imagine trying to convince a jury that the company was justified to discipline an employee who was suffering from a medical condition after negligently denying him his right to protected leave. A court isn't going to care if the employee followed the proper channels, they are going to care that a representative of the company failed to facilitate the employee's navigation of the proper channels.

11. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in knowing where this language can be found.
    I'm acquainted with a situation, not related at all with UPS, where the employee got fired but some outside influences got her re-employed quickly.

12. zubenelgenubi

I don't know that there is any specific language in the contract or legislation that spells all this out. It has to do with the actual legislation, and the way the courts enforce employee rights laws. Supervisors are most emoloyees' primary contact with the company. They are not necessarily expected to know all the ins and outs of things like FMLA, but they need to know enough to direct employees to a manager or HR if the situation warrants it.

HR departments are supposed to develop policies that will effectively keep the company in compliance with the law, and then provide management with training on how to follow/enforce policy. Failure at any level, whether in establishing policy or enforcing it, opens the company to liability.