It aint right

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Tooner, you couldn't have said it any better. I couldn't agree with you more. I understand what you are saying. We are struggling to get caught back up because of the amount of layoff that I've had the first half of this year. And I'm supposed to be on layoff next week. I'm hoping that my sup will change that. I thought for sure that I had enough seniority that I wouldn't be affected by the layoffs. Was I wrong!!! Seven or eight weeks is a killer. It's a huge chunk of change. I did get in some pt work but it wasn't nearly enough.

Don't you guys have the right to bump two part timers if your laid off? I know its stinks to take split shifts but it's better than not!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Don't you guys have the right to bump two part timers if your laid off? I know its stinks to take split shifts but it's better than not!!
Yep, sure do. The only problem for me is that I have a 30 min drive one way to work. I had to balance drive time, work time and wake up time. :surprised:

grgrcr88

Yep, sure do. The only problem for me is that I have a 30 min drive one way to work. I had to balance drive time, work time and wake up time. :surprised:

Are there two part time shifts that run consecutively? Here we have a midnight sort that runs up to the preload so you could get 8hrs from midnight to 8:30am if seniority allowed.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Are there two part time shifts that run consecutively? Here we have a midnight sort that runs up to the preload so you could get 8hrs from midnight to 8:30am if seniority allowed.
That would make it too easy. :wink2: We only have 2 shifts. Preload (4-8:30a) and Local Sort (5-9p).

grgrcr88

That would make it too easy. :wink2: We only have 2 shifts. Preload (4-8:30a) and Local Sort (5-9p).

I feel your pain, I was on TAW last week working the midnight to 8:30. I could not figure out when to sleep. Drove till 4 monday(injury), came in at midnight that night, worked til 9, got home and had to shower. Could not get to sleep til about 10:30. Was up for about 27 hours strait. Slept for 10 hours next day though!! Had to go in at midnight monday morning after being up all day and night Sunday also, dr. apointment this morning. Full release back to driving tommorow thank goodness!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My problem with justifying working 2 shifts was 1 - gas and 2 - sleep. Gas would have ended up costing me (then) about 120$ a week, but the real issue was sleeping. If (and that is a BIG IF) I got off at pm, got home by 9:30, it would probably be 11 before I could get to bed. Then I'd have to be up by 2:30a at the latest to be ready to leave by 3:30a. After weeks of this I would be totally exhausted.

menotyou

bella amicizia
$100 might seem like a lot to some, but when the IME(quack) says you are 50% or 25% disabled and can work light duty, you check gets cut to match. Even if, your doctor says you are 100% disabled. Even if, UPS wouldn't take you back because you used you TAW before you go out, or they aren't allowing you to have TAW. You have to go to court and fight what the IME's opinion caused. The IME's are paid by Liberty Mutual. If they agree with your doctor, Liberty won't sent you back to that one, again. They will make you drive around the state to get an IMS's opinion that Liberty agrees with. Don't you think the IME's have a vested interest to make Liberty happy? I will be pointing this out the next time I am in court.
In NY, it takes about 6 months to get a court date. So, if you are getting $400(Upstate's figure), you get $200 or $100 a week until you can prove your case. It can take years. That is why Worker's comp can bankrupt people. In NY.

Johney

Supplemental health insurance is in addition to any comp payments. I am covered 24/7 for injuries and sickness for about $100/month.
Let me ask this Upstate if you are out on comp does it supplement your income enough as if you were working? Not asking for amounts but is it worth the $100 a month? We have a couple of guys who seem to make more on comp(with insurance) than working 40 hrs.

Johney

$100 might seem like a lot to some, but when the IME(quack) says you are 50% or 25% disabled and can work light duty, you check gets cut to match. Even if, your doctor says you are 100% disabled. Even if, UPS wouldn't take you back because you used you TAW before you go out, or they aren't allowing you to have TAW. You have to go to court and fight what the IME's opinion caused. The IME's are paid by Liberty Mutual. If they agree with your doctor, Liberty won't sent you back to that one, again. They will make you drive around the state to get an IMS's opinion that Liberty agrees with. Don't you think the IME's have a vested interest to make Liberty happy? I will be pointing this out the next time I am in court.
In NY, it takes about 6 months to get a court date. So, if you are getting $400(Upstate's figure), you get $200 or $100 a week until you can prove your case. It can take years. That is why Worker's comp can bankrupt people. In NY.
WOW things are alot different down here than where you are Menotyou I feel for you. Our comp cases take alot longer than 6 months to be heard but once heard and judged that is it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Thank you for the kind words, Johney. NY loves to litigate. If your comp case is simple, it can be quick here, too. But, mine is quite complicated and I make my attorney do his job. Plus, NY is broke, so they are backlogging more and more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let me ask this Upstate if you are out on comp does it supplement your income enough as if you were working? Not asking for amounts but is it worth the $100 a month? We have a couple of guys who seem to make more on comp(with insurance) than working 40 hrs.

I had bilateral ulner nerve release surgery on my elbows a few years ago. 2 weeks of comp, 2 weeks of light duty. $880 from comp, $1,000 from Combined.