It Appears I'm Being Fired - Please help...

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I called in beforehand - "Personal Reasons" - Sounds better than "Going to job interview"

Tomorrow is two weeks no word. No returned calls. I believe I am having car trouble today.

Believe me, I am not quitting. If I get fired, I'll fight it.

Seeing what else is out there in my areas of "expertise" has been a very good experience, so I guess I should find a way to be thankful for this.

Sleeve_meet_heart is on the right track, the way I am thinking. Been at UPS 14 months, I am an un-qualified cover driver, unloading cardboard for 4 hours a day. The "you'll be making tons of money soon" carrot & stick rotted away months ago.

helenofcalifornia

When you worked Danny, a "no call-no show" may have been reason for termination, but not anymore. Warm bodies are (is?) what UPS wants now. Several "warm bodies" plague my center's operations now with their absences. They really have to want "to get you" to use this excuse to fire you; it would be used to build their case against the errant employee.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
They really have to want "to get you"
Helen, If there was any reason for discipline toward Living by UPS, this could be enough to push it over the edge, and stick him with a termination. They call it job abandonment. If he is at all interested in having a career at UPS, then he does not need to aggravate the situation voluntarily or through carelessness.

That being said, there is a life outside of UPS. While it might not be as secure as that regular paycheck, and the pay might not be as good, you can make a good living away from brown. It all depends on the person.

But it is difficult task for many to cut the umbilical cord with brown.

d

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Dannyboy - I agree with you. But the here & now with this is the following;

Do I really want to go to the mat for an $11/hour job (every once & a while $16.10) where, if lucky, I get 20, 25 hours/week, sweating my 44 year old ass off when, in all actuality, I can make MORE per hour and get MORE hours at ANY other job available (not some, ANY available job) and not have to change my shirt 3 times in a 4 hour shift.

If I'm not fired, I'll stay till established elsewhere where the environment is more pleasant, I make more, and get more hours. Like McDonalds for God's sake.

klein

Für Meno :)

Do I really want to go to the mat for an $11/hour job (every once & a while $16.10) where, if lucky, I get 20, 25 hours/week, sweating my 44 year old ass off when, in all actuality, I can make MORE per hour and get MORE hours at ANY other job available (not some, ANY available job) and not have to change my shirt 3 times in a 4 hour shift.

If I'm not fired, I'll stay till established elsewhere where the environment is more pleasant, I make more, and get more hours. Like McDonalds for God's sake.
I totally agree with you !
I'm just looking at some online jobs now (jobbank) .
There are still some good oens out there.
I'm thinking of applying for "beerline service technician"
I think that would be a fun job, even though it pays a bit less, but less stress, hassle, etc.

And yes, 4 hrs a shift, won't cut it for you ! You can't survive on that.
Good luck, and yes, there is life after brown.
We had many ft longterm drivers quit. Not everyone is happy to spend 12-14 hrs away from home.

Good luck, I hope you find something great !
And yes, I'm only speaking for myself, but please, please keep me updated !

Wishing you the best !

klein

Für Meno :)
That would be like the Fox guarding the henhouse , doncha think?:wink2:

Hey, it's a job you do need to have knowlege of beer.
Because, it's almost mandorty to test it afterwards , if the CO2 content is right (too much, too formy, too little - too flat tasting).

But, I think it would be fun. But, what do I do, if they send me to that particular Bosten Pizza location, where I'm no longer welcome ?

I'm sending out a resume, anyways for it today. Sounds like fun.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You have 100% all of my symapthy.. Totally unfair.
So, where's the interview ? Any jobs on your mind you think of taking ?

Mind you, I still believe you'll get your job back... but they are just pissing you around . That'll end sooner or later.
Beer tester comes to mind, oh, sorry, that would be the job for Klein.

I don't understand - are you terminated? What are you calling about? You have not made it clear what happened, at least from what I read.
It will never be clear, don't you know? It's the same story, just dressed up a little differently. I can't wait until he write his memoirs, 4 chapters of how the world was against him.:knockedout:

When you worked Danny, a "no call-no show" may have been reason for termination, but not anymore. Warm bodies are (is?) what UPS wants now. Several "warm bodies" plague my center's operations now with their absences. They really have to want "to get you" to use this excuse to fire you; it would be used to build their case against the errant employee.
Very true.

Good luck to you, Mrs. Calabash, whoever you are.

jimmydurante.jpg
Ha, cha cha cha!

Please remember to stand the fries up in the Bbag. :happy2:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Three weeks now tomorrow with no answer-

"We don't have an answer for you yet. But we'd like you to come in at 3:30am to do the pre-load"

Yeah - that's gonna happen.

P

pickup

Three weeks now tomorrow with no answer-

"We don't have an answer for you yet. But we'd like you to come in at 3:30am to do the pre-load"

Yeah - that's gonna happen.

How about this ?

Assume you will be fired and treat each day like your last one at ups. Show up, do your best and punch out. Put a deadline like 1st of september, when you inquire again. Then repeat the process, and ask again oct 31. At this point , it is the uncertainty of the whether or not the sword that is hanging over head is going to fall or not . While you are doing this, if something clearly better falls into your lap, take it.

However, if you start aggravating the situation, you are going to get fired.

All I am saying, if this weren't you, but a friend of yours, how would you advise him to act, keeping his best interests in mind? Well, be a friend to yourself is what I am saying:peaceful:

P

pickup

And with all due respect to klein, he is too close to his own situation to be giving advice to you about how you should approach your situation. Take what he says with huge lump of salt.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
How about this ?

Assume you will be fired and treat each day like your last one at ups. Show up, do your best and punch out. Put a deadline like 1st of september, when you inquire again. Then repeat the process, and ask again oct 31. At this point , it is the uncertainty of the whether or not the sword that is hanging over head is going to fall or not . While you are doing this, if something clearly better falls into your lap, take it.

However, if you start aggravating the situation, you are going to get fired.

All I am saying, if this weren't you, but a friend of yours, how would you advise him to act, keeping his best interests in mind? Well, be a friend to yourself is what I am saying:peaceful:

That is very smart - advice I would hope I would give & didn't see it; What would I recommend to someone else?

I appreciate that.

On Pre-Sort, I work at 100% - nothing held back. I hate it, but I am definitely not sand-bagging it.

P

pickup

I don't think they can fire him now. It's way past "timely manner".

I was thinking that too, but was waiting for someone with more brains than I to say it. (I'm still waiting :wink2:) Seriously, I was waiting for someone like a shop steward, or even tieguy who can say" don't sweat it, its way past the point that they can act."

over9five

Staff member
I was thinking that too, but was waiting for someone with more brains than I to say it. (I'm still waiting :wink2:) Seriously, I was waiting for someone like a shop steward, or even tieguy who can say" don't sweat it, its way past the point that they can act."

Yes you are still waiting! I was thinking the same thing.

tieguy

Banned

I don't understand why its taking so long. Timelyness issue may argued by the company saying the issue is under investigation. But it sounds like its even exceeded the time allowed for accident investigations. Not sure about this one.

A grievance on the timelyness might be an option but then it could provoke a negative response.

Have you gone into talk the center manager face to face to show your concern and eagerness to return to work?

hickrig

Even if panels are over, win or loss, one could continue the fight to the NLRB. UPSers forget this. For those Teamsters and Unionmembers who don't have a chance at panel hearings, they go straight to the NLRB. Few at UPS realize that once panels are over, the fight can begin.