It Could Always Be Worse

Meat

My retirement will be dependent on my 401k, with my pension being a very small portion of my income. Everyone has the same opportunities as I have to build their 401k. Put in your 6% and get the 3.5% match and watch your money grow.

Do you have any sagely advise for the working populace (approximate 50 percent) that doesn't have access to a 401(k), much less a contributing 401(k)?

Meat

Traditional or Roth IRA.

The contribution limits are substantially different - not to mention post-tax programs generally favor those that will be in a higher tax bracket in the future (not the case with people working in gigs without benefits).

Last edited:

bacha29

Does your pension show on your paycheck or your yearly tax forms? Do you put your pension anywhere on your tax return? Line 1 on MY W-2 says "wages, tips and other compensation" It does not mention anything about pension. Your pension might show up on your compensation package from the company but to the IRS, it is not considered compensation.
Here you are lecturing us on pensions but yet you don't know that they are taxable or where they go on your return. So let me help you IRA distributions goes on form 1040 line 15a and gross pension receipts on line 16a.

bacha29

The contribution limits are substantially different - not to mention post-tax programs generally favor those that will be in a higher tax bracket in the future (not the case with people working in gigs without benefits).
For 2016 an individual age 50 and over over can add an additional $5500 to their 401K contribution for a maximum total of $22,500, The maximum contribution to IRA is $5500.....$6500 if age 50 and over.

Oldfart

Here you are lecturing us on pensions but yet you don't know that they are taxable or where they go on your return. So let me help you IRA distributions goes on form 1040 line 15a and gross pension receipts on line 16a.
WHILE you are working? The portable contributions do not show on your tax returns WHILE it is being deposited into your account. They do when you start withdrawing them. And you think you know something. What a tool. People kept saying your company deposits into your pension are considered COMPENSATION. If they are considered COMPENSATION, why are those deposits NOT on your W2?

Last edited:

bacha29

No you maroon. WHILE you are working. The portable contributions do not show on your tax returns WHILE it is being deposited into your account. They do when you start withdrawing them. And you think you know something. What a tool. People kept saying your company deposits into your pension are considered COMPENSATION. If they are considered COMPENSATION, why are those deposits NOT on your W2?
It is reported on form 1099 MISC,

Oldfart

It is reported on form 1099 MISC,
You need to consult a tax man. You actually think the 8% Fedex contributes to my portable every year goes on my tax return? I guess you THINK my 401K contributions go on there as well. Maybe you need to read a book on tax preparation.

You show your ignorance about business more every post

bacha29

You need to consult a tax man. You actually think the 8% Fedex contributes to my portable every year goes on my tax return? I guess you THINK my 401K contributions go on there as well. Maybe you need to read a book on tax preparation.
When you withdraw from it you will receive a 1099 stating what the amount you withdrew. That amount including what portion is taxable which will include what X contributed is reported to the IRS . If you want to you can call what X contributed 'Free" money but it's NOT TAX FREE only tax deferred meaning taxed at the time of withdrawal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you withdraw from it you will receive a 1099 stating what the amount you withdrew. That amount including what portion is taxable which will include what X contributed is reported to the IRS . If you want to you can call what X contributed 'Free" money but it's NOT TAX FREE only tax deferred meaning taxed at the time of withdrawal.

...hopefully at a lower rate...

Oldfart

Is it taxed at the time it was deposited? Learn to read fella. NOBODY mentioned the taxes at the time of withdrawal. Once again, I will go slow for you since you are a little slow. Someone said that your portable is considered compensation WHILE you are working and having it deposited into your pension account. I said it was a benefit NOT compensation because it does not go on your tax return. You THINK it is taxable income at the time it is deposited while you are working. Like I said, you continue to show your ignorance.

It will be fine

Is it taxed at the time it was deposited? Learn to read fella. NOBODY mentioned the taxes at the time of withdrawal. Once again, I will go slow for you since you are a little slow. Someone said that your portable is considered compensation WHILE you are working and having it deposited into your pension account. I said it was a benefit NOT compensation because it does not go on your tax return. You THINK it is taxable income at the time it is deposited while you are working. Like I said, you continue to show your ignorance.
You're making a bad argument based on semantics. It is compensation for work performed. When it is taxed has no bearing on that fact. There's no such thing as free money.

Oldfart

I will pay taxes on money someone GAVE me as a benefit all day long. I don't like paying taxes but if I am paying taxes, that means I am making money. UNLIKE the liberal Democrats that get the "earned income credit?

Oldfart

You're making a bad argument based on semantics. It is compensation for work performed. When it is taxed has no bearing on that fact. There's no such thing as free money.
Please read some business publications. You might learn something. It is a benefit, not compensation. It does not show on a W2 or any yearly tax forms.