IT Layoffs

mumbles

I have read all of the posts with interest. Many of you are not going to like what I write - for those of you who don't, I apologize. I know many of the folks that were layed off and several of them should have been let go a long time ago. Several were written up and barely made it through the PIP process and some were even demoted at one time. What was wrong in their being let go was how it was handled - no dignity was awarded them.

That being said - the good old boy network continues to thrive at UPS, because some of the folks one would expect to be let go are still there. There is no sign of their being let go because some managers have already told their departments that they are done with the layoffs.

With the outsourcing - known as Global Development - there are going to be a lot of people that will need homes. Since we all know that there are no jobs available to post to, think about where they are going to be placed. For every person that is let go, it makes room for someone to take that spot. In a department, if one person is layed off and the department headcount doesn't change, then it leaves room for someone that is out of a job from the outsourcing to take their place. This is already happening in one portfolio, where one system manager made the announcement to his department and named two people as replacements for those who were layed off. Now if management decides that they really don't need to fill the layoff spot - the headcount can be moved to an area that "needs" the headcount and a person whose job has been outsourced can in fact take that spot.

In today's climate, do your job and make a plan in case it becomes you that gets that call.

I have read all of the posts with interest. Many of you are not going to like what I write - for those of you who don't, I apologize. I know many of the folks that were layed off and several of them should have been let go a long time ago. Several were written up and barely made it through the PIP process and some were even demoted at one time. What was wrong in their being let go was how it was handled - no dignity was awarded them.

That being said - the good old boy network continues to thrive at UPS, because some of the folks one would expect to be let go are still there. There is no sign of their being let go because some managers have already told their departments that they are done with the layoffs.

With the outsourcing - known as Global Development - there are going to be a lot of people that will need homes. Since we all know that there are no jobs available to post to, think about where they are going to be placed. For every person that is let go, it makes room for someone to take that spot. In a department, if one person is layed off and the department headcount doesn't change, then it leaves room for someone that is out of a job from the outsourcing to take their place. This is already happening in one portfolio, where one system manager made the announcement to his department and named two people as replacements for those who were layed off. Now if management decides that they really don't need to fill the layoff spot - the headcount can be moved to an area that "needs" the headcount and a person whose job has been outsourced can in fact take that spot.

In today's climate, do your job and make a plan in case it becomes you that gets that call.

You forget the Application Programmer jobs out-sourced to Asia. Did those replacement work for IBM or Accenture?

ISWarrior

Is the global solution right for you?

Doing business overseas can bring big savings on labor costs – but plenty of risks as well.

Do as I say, not as I do.

negrosangre

perhaps they will be happy if we get fed up with the daily scrutiny and uncertainty, and leave on our own accord...no severance, no RSUs, etc...maybe that's the master plan..????

That's what I've been thinking lately. Especially if you are a newbie, and not making much, or close to retirement. Those two groups they can hold out on and see what happens.

Copious

I have read almost all of these posts in this thread and I have yet to read one that says UPS will not succeed with those let go......perhaps that sums up the value they added?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have read almost all of these posts in this thread and I have yet to read one that says UPS will not succeed with those let go......perhaps that sums up the value they added?

That applies to every person that works at UPS ... from Scott Davis on down. UPS is a process based company where no individual is important.
Just need hard working, intelligent people.

1873.jpg

Last edited:
A

an anonymous guest

"UPS doesn't want shining stars, just a lot of bright lights.'

Former CEO from NJ

nygiant

Don't know if everyone signed, but we had a PCM about it this morning and by the time I was back from lunch, people were being let go. They even had people standing around the slaughter room. I guess they were security or something.

tomarnez

:2scared:What a wild ride !

9am meeting to discuss upcoming cuts in SS

Afternoon meeting to tell us that our App Mgr was done with his cuts, and we were safe :whew:

:future: but who knows what the future brings?

and my condolences to those that did not make it 'till end of day.

:not_fair:

gimmeabreak: I am surprised that you actually had a meeting to tell you that your app manager is done with cuts and you're safe.

I actually knew three guys personally in shared services, that were let go today. i am afraid I may be next based on the pattern as they're targeting specific age group (50+).

The layoffs are coming after months of scrutinization of every center to trim whatever fat was left from operations after the years of trimming to pay for Worldport. Operations are slow, package levels are flat, and layoffs are part of the beast. I'm a major team-player in all of this, but if you IT peeps really thought you'd make it through unscathed, you didn't pay attention in economics class. Less packages = less support needed and you guys, along with many more of us, are overhead. If you can't justify your position, you're out.

On the other hand, I think it is tragic that all these upper level guys, FE's, and other over-55-yr olds who are too bored to retire won't get the friend out so the rest of us can have a shot.

IT, you're in our prayers for a safe journey!

upser001

I am not too sure that is the criteria. I've heard it was advanced age, poor performers, rebels, etc., but it seems that the mix of folks getting cut is very random.

Don't believe it! UPS never do things random. This layoff was planned in great detail. The layoff people were picked in such a way that no specific group of people (race, age groups, etc) stands out. This is done to avoid any class action lawsuits. I cannot prove what I just typed, but I know from my gut this is true.

Our group in Paramus NJ were told on Monday (8/17) that the layoff is over for us. Let's hope this economy turns around soon. We will all be out of a job if UPS volume remains flat. :anxious:

whiskeyagogo

if you IT peeps really thought you'd make it through unscathed, you didn't pay attention in economics class. Less packages = less support needed and you guys, along with many more of us, are overhead. If you can't justify your position, you're out.

The 'surprise' at the layoffs come because UPS has never before laid off IS MIP folks en masse as is happening now. Those of us in IS with marketable skills have always accepted UPS' less than industry standard wages for the stability of a company where they didn't lay us off. That's all going to change now. Even if I survive the next few months of purges, I'm going to fine tune my skills and start seeking work elsewhere. Why should I work for $20K less than I could pull in anywhere else if the stability is gone? I bet there are plenty others who feel the same way and are going to be looking for an exit.

Last edited: