IT Layoffs

A

an anonymous guest

Dfigger:

Why the videos from 'Little SHop?'

UPS is a big shop.

Have they gone vegetarian in the caf?

I could have answered all those questions when I was there...and so could you.

Go UPS!
P71

zzeee

For those who are waiting for their final paycheck to go into Direct Deposit and who expect it to be for the full month's pay...for get it. They are mailing your final checks to your home and paying you up to the day you left. So much for my budget!!!

I got mine today in the mail.
They have a nerve to deduct UPS PAC contribution. :devil3:

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I got mine today in the mail.
They have a nerve to deduct UPS PAC contribution. :devil3:

The payroll computer doesn't know you got fired, and would therefore probably not want to have that deducted.

That's one of the reasons I always sent a check instead of payroll deduction.

The payroll computer doesn't know you got fired, and would therefore probably not want to have that deducted.

That's one of the reasons I always sent a check instead of payroll deduction.
The Payroll computer had to have been told a month ago who not to send a full check or direct deposit.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
The Payroll computer had to have been told a month ago who not to send a full check or direct deposit.

Payroll computer gets updated on 12th of month, I believe, so given the timing of your move....I'm sure they were staged so as to be done at the last possible moment, BECAUSE once the payroll computer is updated, you can SEE THAT on UPSers.com

We discovered that to our chagrin one year in March, when everyone saw their raises on UPSers.com before they had a chance to get their salary review with their bosses. Very embarrassing....

upser001

My group in Paramus NJ is having a meeting this coming week to talk about the Global Development project. Rumor has it that this is also an opportunity for any concern employee to ask questions about the recent layoffs. I doubt anyone will ask any question on this subject since everyone is nervous about what is happening. There is rumor that there is plan to outsource the entire IT group if Global Development shows promise. I hope this rumor is not true.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
My group in Paramus NJ is having a meeting this coming week to talk about the Global Development project. Rumor has it that this is also an opportunity for any concern employee to ask questions about the recent layoffs. I doubt anyone will ask any question on this subject since everyone is nervous about what is happening. There is rumor that there is plan to outsource the entire IT group if Global Development shows promise. I hope this rumor is not true.

Don't worry about it....Accenture hasn't had any successes yet, and trying to coordinate development across 12 time zones has been an abysmal failure at UPS and other companies. And, it NEVER turns out to be cheaper once the first 'loss leader' contract comes up for renewal, not to mention the 'change orders' that are inevitable.

ISFriendly

payroll computer gets updated on 12th of month, i believe, so given the timing of your move....i'm sure they were staged so as to be done at the last possible moment, because once the payroll computer is updated, you can see that on upsers.com

we discovered that to our chagrin one year in march, when everyone saw their raises on upsers.com before they had a chance to get their salary review with their bosses. Very embarrassing....

maybe if you worked harder and didn't try to snoop around you might still be working

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As having net+/a+/mcse and worked in IT, having been subsequently laid off from a reasonably good job with a large corporation in 2001, I hope anyone affected finds shelter before the storm hits if it has not already. If it has, all the best to you!

20% less than market? Brutal.

For years IBM has wanted to come in and manage the UPS Data Center. They've said "so UPS can concentrate on their core business". I can see IBM taking over Telecom and the data center operations and Accenture taking over application development and software. This would be managed by a small group of UPSers. If this fails, UPS could hire people at lower salaries and less benefits...win-win (kidding). It's a sign of the times. Our Gov't is a big club and so are corporate big wigs. In the end it will be them and the rest of us. Maybe Global Development should have been American Development.

Hi Folks,

Just to let you know they were doing layoffs from the TSG group in the East Bay District (Oakland California) back in 2005 as I was part of that group. They also did another round of layoffs in 2006. I eventually left on my own as I got fed up with management.

Steve

IT Layoffs
days after the apr 2009 earnings report, the wheels were set in motion to lay off UPS IT workers in the near future in order to go more lean and mean and save money. if you just write code and/or are not a "star" and you work in UPS IT, your days may be numbered. update your resumes folks, it's going down. the brutal economy will be brutal to UPS IT, it will NOT be spared....... and don't look for a formal announcement; like lot's of companies, UPS is keeping layoffs quiet to remain in the best light for Wall Street.

Several are a couple of questionable postulates in your post ... but keeping your skill set up to date and your resume updated are prudent measures.

if you just write code and /or are not a "star" and you work in UPS IT, your days may be numbered.
I guess it depends on where you are and which systems you work on. UPS may not be hiring people but they have been very few actual layoffs and none that I can see at least for another year. We have so many contractors working here now, we could reduce the workforce by 20% before actually laying off a UPS IT employee.

UPS is keeping layoffs quiet to remain in the best light for Wall Street.
This is the exact opposite of what companies do ... they announce layoffs but in many cases, only partially, execute the announced number of layoffs.

AirTechSpec

...Accenture taking over application development and software...

I was interested to see a recent comment from one of our projects that their "knowledge transfer" to Accenture had been put on hold after two Accenture employees quit. :speechless:

So it goes when you depend on others to do your work for you.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hi Folks,

Just to let you know they were doing layoffs from the TSG group in the East Bay District (Oakland California) back in 2005 as I was part of that group. They also did another round of layoffs in 2006. I eventually left on my own as I got fed up with management.

Steve

My bad ... I keep forgetting TSG is considered part of IS.
When is think of IS, I think of RR/DD = 20/29.
Hoke

There were no PIP, no HR involved, nor was I told about LE
I was told:
"My position is impacted by reduction of force in connection with the 2009 Global Development initiative...
The involuntary terminations related to the Global Development initiative will commence in or about August 2009 and are expected to continue through December 2009, and may continue through the first six months of 2010...
termination and retention decisions turned on one or a combination of the following factors: length of service, employee performance, skills and experience, and the staffing needs of the portfolio"

As for me,
next week I have a meeting with Washington DC team of lawyers. We will see.

If you don't mind the question, what would be your purpose for meeting with lawyers? I only ask because it does not sound like you were wrongfully terminated? I have read many posts here and I understand why people are upset about losing their jobs, but I have yet to read where UPS is breaking any laws.

I also wish you and everyone else the best of luck with finding employment in the future. I will be praying for you all.