January flavor of the month

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We generate revenue.

They generate reports.

I'm pretty sure that center-level management has been given a quota for the volume of reports that they are required to generate at certain intervals.

What I havent figured out yet is whether that quota is daily, weekly or monthly. And I'm still trying to determine how the volume of reports is calculated. Is it by the word, or by the volume of printer ink consumed, or does some nitwit in a cubicle actually stack each centers reports on a scale and calculate the weight of the paper?

Inquiring minds want to know...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yet another Soberups conspiracy theory....

Cementups had it right---anytime the engine is on and the wheels aren't moving is idle time. There are two types of idle time---that we can and cannot control. Sitting in the PC and running the engine for 40 minutes is clearly excessive idle time and can be controlled. Sitting at a stop sign or work zone cannot be contolled. Turning the ignition off is a big no-no----what if you had to move the PC quickly to avoid an accident or get out of the way of an emergency vehicle? With all of the other elements of our day I don't really focus on idle time.

Our flavor of the month is the DOK. We are meeting one on one with the HR rep 15 minutes before start time to review the material. Yes, we are being paid to do so.

pretender

Our Flavor of the Month is that they started up on the Depth of Knowledge crap again. They ignored it during Peak, now thats its slowing down a little they have to start up on something else. First accident of the year? Safety Committee member got charged with an accident after he got hit while parked. Didn't fold his mirror in and somebody hit it. Same old.......

A few days before I retired, they actually wanted me to take the DOK again. If you put your letter in Monday, you can be gone by March 1...

barnyard

KTM rider
If you are in really heavy traffic, moving, but real slow, that can be idle time. During my productive feeder training, my idle time was through the roof, there was a 4 or 5 mile section of construction where we idled in 1st through most of it. My trainer said that going so slow would show up as excessive idling. He was correct.

That means, if you are at a stop sign with a long line and you idle your way to the sign, that entire time will show up as idle time.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So really other than lunch time, and if its 0 out and there is nowhere to duck inside, and you run your car, I dont see how they can gig us on that. I will shut it off at gates where I have to ring and wait, sometimes minutes, but other than that it is clearly out of my control how much I idle.
Also the driver drill was added. to DOK. Mirrors, signals, inersections, pedestriansandmotorists, <<<<<(counts as 1) eye lead time, and following distance. Must know all 6, I was told on Wednesday. Thursday morn, the last 2 were dropped.
:knockedout:
Upper mgmt is forcing our sups to jump through the same hoops as us. Now they are going to get warning letters when their groups have accidents, injuries. They have no protection from it, we do have the union in our corner.

Seems production has taken a back seat to safety. I guess they finally realized the increase in accidents and injuries were in fact in direct corelation to the harrassment over production. This should be an exciting yr.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Sometimes I shut her off at red lights and throw my next 5 stops on the cab floor.
Bite me ups.

This is a no no too but if you want to continue doing this and you have keyless entry, your vehicle does not have to be off to open the bulkhead. Your fob will still open it.

barnyard

KTM rider
I took some stops from another driver yesterday. 5 of them were near the area I was taking, so I took those. They were not in his EDD, so we could not transfer, so I scanned them all as misloads, so I could get them loaded in my board. Got a message back that said a misload report was generated and were part of the daily conference call, so do not send misload messages anymore.

Really????

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I took some stops from another driver yesterday. 5 of them were near the area I was taking, so I took those. They were not in his EDD, so we could not transfer, so I scanned them all as misloads, so I could get them loaded in my board. Got a message back that said a misload report was generated and were part of the daily conference call, so do not send misload messages anymore. Really????

Why in the world would you have done that? They were not misloads---there were an impromptu add/cut---stay in EDD, scan the packages and then force the address. When you send in genuine misloads it does generate a report and a subsequent conference call. Continue to send in genuine misloads but do not send "misloads" that are clearly not misloads.

I still can't figure out why you would send those in as misloads.

barnyard

KTM rider
Why in the world would you have done that? They were not misloads

They were not in the other driver's diad, so he could not scan them to hand off to me. I wanted them in the board. If they were not misloads, they were cut and missed by the preload.

If they were not misloads, what were they??

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why in the world would you have done that? They were not misloads

They were not in the other driver's diad, so he could not scan them to hand off to me. I wanted them in the board. If they were not misloads, they were cut and missed by the preload.

If they were not misloads, what were they??

I had 35 stops earlier this week that were supposed to be cut from my route. They were not. They took up my entire 7 and 8000 section. Never thought of sending them all in as misloads. That would of been funny though.

barnyard

KTM rider
I had 35 stops earlier this week that were supposed to be cut from my route. They were not. They took up my entire 7 and 8000 section. Never thought of sending them all in as misloads. That would of been funny though.

If they were not in my board and I was in a foul enough mood, I would have scanned them as misloads. My mood occasionally dictates how much I am willing to cover someone else's keester. I had puked once yesterday and was 'helping them out' by taking stops off of 4 drivers. It was supposed to be less than 4 hours and turned into 8.5 hours. I had the cold sweats all day and was in no mood to goof around.

Plus we had freezing rain and the roads, driveways and yards were skating rinks.

Would have been different if I was more 'happy go lucky.'

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They were not in the other driver's diad, so he could not scan them to hand off to me. I wanted them in the board. If they were not misloads, they were cut and missed by the preload. If they were not misloads, what were they??

They were certainly not your misloads.

The tracking data was still in the other driver's DIAD even though it did not show in EDD.

I can't recall the last time another driver and I swapped data through the DIADs when at a meet point. He simply hands me the work and I force it in to the board.

How long did it take to send in all of those misloads? The last time I did it took about 15 seconds for one package.

barnyard

KTM rider
The tracking data was still in the other driver's DIAD even though it did not show in EDD.

How long did it take to send in all of those misloads? The last time I did it took about 15 seconds for one package.

They were not.

We tried doing the 'transfer' thing and when he scanned the packages, they got the message, "not in EDD.'

It took less than 15 seconds to scan all 5 in one message, just keep hitting the 'add another package' softkey.

You are presuming that I do not know how to do the job and what is possible and not possible with the diad. Knock it off, it is getting really, really tiresome.

The packages I sent as misloads were outside the area in my board. I would have had to manually type in all addresses and override the streets. Forget to do that and I would have had to go back for more over rides. Way, way, way easier to send in the misloads and have them update my manifest.

The only other way to do it would have been a phone call with the OMS. The OMS would have had to find whose manifest they were on and transfer them to me. Neither me nor the driver I took them from knew whose packages they should have been, so I could not have even suggested where the OMS look for them.

My way took almost no time and generated a report that should be easy to blow off, except the UPS way is for division managers to micromanage a preload. Do I want to gum that up???

YES.

kingOFchester

Wait, how does scanning a package as a misload add the said packages to your diad? Whenever I have had misloads, EVERY day, they do not show up in my EDD when I scan them as misloads??