Job Interview

Hey guys I go in for my first interview today as a package handler. Anything I should expect? Questions? Suggestions about shifts?

any help is appreciated.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Hey guys I go in for my first interview today as a package handler. Anything I should expect? Questions? Suggestions about shifts?

any help is appreciated.

I'm pretty certain, from my short time here, that it varies wildly from center to center.

I went in with full resume, dressed neat, ready to talk. HR manager held a mirror under my nose. It fogged. I was hired.

haha that's great.. Well I was also wondering whether or not to say I would like to work the ramp? rather than the HUB?

Also, im going to be leaving for school at the end of August, should I say anything about transferring? Or not mention anything at all?

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

any help is appreciated.

My suggestion to you would be take it seriously. UPS will be only what "YOU" make of it. It can be your PT gig only or it can be your CAREER!
But that is your choice!

UPS is either in you....or it isn't. When you go for your tour, take a look around...the work is hard.

If it is not something you think you can physically handle...(and I don't mean to be blunt)... but don't waste your time and especially don't waste ours. If you are doing a job that you absolutely hate, speak up...there are many different things going on.

If you think it is something you may like and you enjoy physical work and a challange then UPS is right up your alley.

Don't be a kiss arse when you get there...no one likes that, they will only take advantage of you.

UPS is a GREAT company. They hire most of the time from within, so keep your eyes and ears wide open. If you see something you like or may want to try, speak up.

Stay proud - If ya stick it out...it is certianly worth it.

Hold yourself accountable - Make whatever you do, your very own personal business, the trucks you load, and the customers the drivers service are also your customers. You can make or break the day at UPS, however your can also make or break your customers day.

Think of it in these terms:

You may be loading/unloading....
  • someones first present... or their last
  • someones medication they NDA'd
  • someones late mortgage check
  • someones birthday present
  • YOUR PAYCHECK.
IF YA can swing it....GET ON THE PRELOAD!! That is the heart of most operations! You'll get used to the hours!

GOOD LUCK!! Come back and tell us how it went!

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
haha that's great.. Well I was also wondering whether or not to say I would like to work the ramp? rather than the HUB?

Also, im going to be leaving for school at the end of August, should I say anything about transferring? Or not mention anything at all?

UPS pays tuition for school, my suggestion is you ask about that. There are certain criteria...find out your options.

bellesotico

BOXstar

I definitely think you need to mention you are leaving for school in August.

This is what the master agreement says about transfers:

Section 6. Part-Time Employee Transfer
Part-time employees who wish to transfer to another location for educational purposes may submit a
written request to the Employer. If approved, the transfer shall be allowed subject to the following
conditions:
A. A part-time opening exists at the desired location.
B. Employees must have attained seniority and been employed by the Employer for at least one (1)
year.

C. Job Classification Seniority shall be end-tailed.
D. Company seniority shall be retained for the purpose of number of weeks of vacation, and number of
holidays in accordance with the applicable Supplement at the new location.
E. Any expenses, including moving expenses associated with an approved transfer, shall be the
responsibility of the employee.

B. Employees must have attained seniority and been employed by the Employer for at least one (1)
year.

should I not even bother then? I will only be there for about 2 months before I would have to transfer.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I definitely think you need to mention you are leaving for school in August.

This is what the master agreement says about transfers:

Section 6. Part-Time Employee Transfer
Part-time employees who wish to transfer to another location for educational purposes may submit a
written request to the Employer. If approved, the transfer shall be allowed subject to the following
conditions:
A. A part-time opening exists at the desired location.
year.
C. Job Classification Seniority shall be end-tailed.
D. Company seniority shall be retained for the purpose of number of weeks of vacation, and number of
holidays in accordance with the applicable Supplement at the new location.
E. Any expenses, including moving expenses associated with an approved transfer, shall be the
responsibility of the employee.

That is a great point. See I didn't know the specifics regarding school and transfers. However, attaining seniority and employment of one year is pretty significant.

ITSTHATTIME - try not to be discouraged by this since there seems to be variations everywhere, and HR may have other suggestions on what you should do. UPS loves college students and encourages school so make sure you "ask" and "get" all of the information you can regarding your situation.

Mike Hawk

Get hired at your current location, show up on time etc. be a good employee, then quit on good terms. Once you move to your new location apply again and there is a good chance you will be hired.

I work preload in south Miami. I am not sure if you are aware of the type of people that might apply to work a 3am-9am shift in south Miami. Put it like this, I was the only one who wasnt wearing jeans and a t-shirt to my interview. Some of these boys had doo-rags on. I felt way overdressed for the occasion but I ended up getting the job. Go in there, present yourself nice, speak clearly and if I were you I would not mention that you plan on leaving in August (transfer or no transfer). They would probably rather not spend a week of training on someone who is leaving in a month.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Get hired at your current location, show up on time etc. be a good employee, then quit on good terms. Once you move to your new location apply again and there is a good chance you will be hired.

I'm not sure I agree with this. It costs UPS good money to train people, plus he won't be telling anyone about his "plan" to leave which gives him a good month and a half of work? With all the turnover already and low volume, it doesn't seem like a great idea to come and and go. However, this is more for UPS eyes than the thread author.

I would suggest looking in the area you're going to school and see if THEY'RE hiring first. If they are hiring now they'll likely be hiring in a few months too. If they are not hiring near your school, then you're probably better off not doing UPS altogether if for only <2 months.

Just imo

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

Well that was just great advice Mike....

ITSTHATTIME - go to your interview and talk with HR. Don't take the chance of not being hired back...besides that does not make for a good work etiquite! Nor a great way to start...

bellesotico

BOXstar
I work preload in south Miami. I am not sure if you are aware of the type of people that might apply to work a 3am-9am shift in south Miami. Put it like this, I was the only one who wasnt wearing jeans and a t-shirt to my interview. Some of these boys had doo-rags on. I felt way overdressed for the occasion but I ended up getting the job. Go in there, present yourself nice, speak clearly and if I were you I would not mention that you plan on leaving in August (transfer or no transfer). They would probably rather not spend a week of training on someone who is leaving in a month.

Would you want to spend a week catching missed packages by some new guy who isn't even gonna bother staying?

Not me. The company isn't the only thing affected here..

I canceled the appointment. I'm just going to wait until I go to school. Although, the online app for where I'm going says (Back-Up) for package handler. What does that mean? It seems like that means they'd be slow to hire.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I canceled the appointment. I'm just going to wait until I go to school. Although, the online app for where I'm going says (Back-Up) for package handler. What does that mean? It seems like that means they'd be slow to hire.

Well, now you have none of the answers you were looking for...:pouting: