Job offer at FEDEX

Air Recovery

So I’m currently stuck in a dilema and I need some opinions on what I should do. I’m currently a package handler with five months in. I got an offer at FedEx for a full time courier driver, should I take it or just wait until I become a driver at UPS (don’t have any idea how long that will take) I really want to stay at ups but I need that full time money especially since I have a baby on the way.

Take it if you like doing the same job as us for

1. Literally no where close in pay. 1st year fedex drivers i encounter out in the wild take home 600-650 where our first year drivers are taking home 900-1300

2. Zero union protection against bull:censored2:.

3. No pension/retirement

4. No medical benefits. We pay next to nothing for amazing medical.

Go ahead and switch. Theyre basically amazon drivers.

MassWineGuy

UPS has better pay and benefits. But it's blood money and a deal with the devil in many ways. From a business standpoint it's much better run than FedEx, I think. But you need to weigh the emotional and physical costs that come with how UPS treats its drivers. Like dirt, basically. And even though I'd join the union in a second if I could because it's pretty much the only game in town, the Teamsters Union is corrupt as h*ll. And they've been giving in a lot to the company. Just ask Saturday UPS drivers how they feel earning less than other drivers.

FedEx is the reverse in a way. It treats staff much better, but the money and benefits aren't great. The deductible and maximum out of pocket amounts for medical are very high. See if you can do what others have suggested. Find another part time job, make it known to your supervisors that you're available for extra work, and bide your time til you're a driver. We deliver more than envelopes, though. There's plenty of heavier stuff. And I can't complain about having vehicles with A.C.

Brown_$$

Some people in you hub should be able to tell you approx. how long it will take you to go FT. I would stay with UPS. Look long term down the road 25-30 years. The advantages are substantial. You may regret a short term decision based on money now.

Yeah. Some coworkers got called after one year of being with ups. I’m hoping I luck out like they did. Does it matter if you’re a hard worker or not? because damn I see a lot of slackers at work lol

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yeah. Some coworkers got called after one year of being with ups. I’m hoping I luck out like they did. Does it matter if you’re a hard worker or not? because damn I see a lot of slackers at work lol

All seniority, assuming you are qualified, and you qualify. I had to wait 7 years. Most drivers below me waited a year tops. I had another full time job, and two other part time jobs at times. If you have the drive, you can make it happen.

ouanling

You’re the clueless one here and it’s pretty funny.
im a driver, im in my 30's and its my first job ever and i dont need that much more until i can fully retire. Sometimes its better to be open than to go into angry denial every time someone's doing better than you. I got here by investigating people that had it better than me constantly since i was a kid. I spent almost half my life living on a tropical island with my kids because of that.

And you know what? i didnt have to learn my 5's and 10's and i did not do a single day of preload.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
im a driver, im in my 30's and its my first job ever and i dont need that much more until i can fully retire. Sometimes its better to be open than to go into angry denial every time someone's doing better than you. I got here by investigating people that had it better than me constantly since i was a kid. I spent almost half my life living on a tropical island with my kids because of that.

And you know what? i didnt have to learn my 5's and 10's and i did not do a single day of preload.

What kind of drugs you on?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

5671C747-5A61-411C-ADDD-0E52C65F5790.jpeg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
how long you been working there? you should know merit doesnt matter in a union job. I hated that. But if it only took a year for some of the drivers ( the last ones? as this changes ) then that is pretty good.

hope you get on FT soon as a driver.

Brown_$$

how long you been working there? you should know merit doesnt matter in a union job. I hated that. But if it only took a year for some of the drivers ( the last ones? as this changes ) then that is pretty good.

hope you get on FT soon as a driver.
I’ve been at ups for five months, coming into my 6 in october. Thanks! I hope so too 🤞

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I’ve been at ups for five months, coming into my 6 in october. Thanks! I hope so too 🤞

I am pretty new so take this with a grain of salt. But there are a lot of things they can DQ you for from driving if they think you are going to be lazy. I know one guy who says he failed the driving test four times. I think that probably had something to do with the fact that he had a reputation for being difficult and trying to avoid work. So yes it’s all about seniority but being a decent worker will definitely not hurt your chances.

rocket man

So I’m currently stuck in a dilema and I need some opinions on what I should do. I’m currently a package handler with five months in. I got an offer at FedEx for a full time courier driver, should I take it or just wait until I become a driver at UPS (don’t have any idea how long that will take) I really want to stay at ups but I need that full time money especially since I have a baby on the way.
Do what you you want to do. Was it a hard decision to have a baby was it a hard decision to start with UPS. I think you should be on your way.

rocket man

Was it a hard decision to have a baby was it a hard decision to start a UPS why are you asking that question? Just go to FedEx enjoy let them pay for your baby which they won't they might give you a FedEx blanket

Brown_$$

Was it a hard decision to have a baby was it a hard decision to start a UPS why are you asking that question? Just go to FedEx enjoy let them pay for your baby which they won't they might give you a FedEx blanket
You don’t make any sense but okay.. like I said,I’m staying at UPS lol

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
You might of mentioned this here already. If you're female, I'd take the FedEX position. Very few, very,very few female UPS drivers make it to 100% pension. My belief is men work hard then go home and unwind and/or quit for the day. Women go home to kids, messy house, grocery shop. Basically a second job of hard labor for 30+ years is almost too much to take.

Stay at UPS if you can until family leave kicks in and everything paid for. Then make the switch.

If you're a dude. A semi decent house starts at $500k in Ontario, CA. Then UPS is your best bet to have a little something down the road. Like others said, it will change you. The person you are today will not be the same in 30-years.

FedEx would probably be a better place to shoot for management. Maybe be manager of Freight down the road.

Good Luck!

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
You might of mentioned this here already. If you're female, I'd take the FedEX position. Very few, very,very few female UPS drivers make it to 100% pension. My belief is men work hard then go home and unwind and/or quit for the day. Women go home to kids, messy house, grocery shop. Basically a second job of hard labor for 30+ years is almost too much to take.

Stay at UPS if you can until family leave kicks in and everything paid for. Then make the switch.

If you're a dude. A semi decent house starts at $500k in Ontario, CA. Then UPS is your best bet to have a little something down the road. Like others said, it will change you. The person you are today will not be the same in 30-years.

FedEx would probably be a better place to shoot for management. Maybe be manager of Freight down the road.

Good Luck!
I have a female SPAer who is also an air driver. Something to consider.

Gone fishin

Just from another point of view. Full time guys make around 70-80 thousand if they want to put in the overtime at FedEx. That being said , in my area that’s a comfortable living for a single person.
If you’re married and your spouse makes a good salary ( mine makes more than a ups driver ) you might want to be at FedEx.
I have six good friends that work at ups and haven’t seen but a handful of their kids sports or events. Family means more to me than anything.
Just telling you about the other side , I haven’t missed a game or event. I’m off about 3-4 and have a lot of family time.
Good luck , everyone has different priorities and situations.

PT Car Washer

Just from another point of view. Full time guys make around 70-80 thousand if they want to put in the overtime at FedEx. That being said , in my area that’s a comfortable living for a single person.
If you’re married and your spouse makes a good salary ( mine makes more than a ups driver ) you might want to be at FedEx.
I have six good friends that work at ups and haven’t seen but a handful of their kids sports or events. Family means more to me than anything.
Just telling you about the other side , I haven’t missed a game or event. I’m off about 3-4 and have a lot of family time.
Good luck , everyone has different priorities and situations.
You make a great point. A lot of a UPS drivers income go to a new $50k pickup truck (or more) wife's new car, new motorcycle, new RV, or a lot of other worthless junk. Most times having less is having more.