Job-setup, work for free

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
fred_flintstone_clocking_out.jpg

Even less developed cavemen punch in before working.

If your Teamster steward can not do his job, I suggest you go to a union meeting and become a steward. Then you can file a grievance every time he works someone off the clock. As long as you do your job properly, he can not harass you.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My supervisor is saying we are required to come in and start work 15 minutes early. One employee says "are you going to pay us for that 15 minutes"
Supervisor says "NO, its called initiative, its called job-setup"

He is telling people to come in and work before their scheduled start time.
Can we do something about this? No one should be told to work for free.

Or is he correct in saying that we have to come in and start working early no matter what.
I want this guy gone, I'm sick of being supervised by a drunk and an a-hole. At the very least I need to transfer away from his section.

Any advice?
File an Art 37 grievance. Over-supervision, coercion and harassment.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
This crap was happening years ago when I was still on preload. They expected us to have send-agains done before the belt started moving (start time.) The mere threat of a group grievance got that changed quickly.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
My supervisor is saying we are required to come in and start work 15 minutes early. One employee says "are you going to pay us for that 15 minutes"

Or is he correct in saying that we have to come in and start working early no matter what.
I want this guy gone, I'm sick of being supervised by a drunk and an a-hole. At the very least I need to transfer away from his section.

Any advice?

Find your nearest Dairy Queen and :censored2:?!?

newfie

Any advice?

easy one, where is the shop steward , let him/her handle it.

browntroll

they tried this in my hub a few years ago, a talk with the business agent put a stop to this.
pt sup expected me to setup belts that night shift had just finished using, he said since its my work area
i had to reset all the belts, find any left packages, and move conveyor diverters before my start time.

rod

Retired 22 years
If they owed me for say 20 minutes I would give them one pay period to correct the situation. If it wasn't on the next check I would plop my butt down at a coffee shop for an extra 20 minutes or sit in my truck listening to the radio. Either way I got what I was owed. I'm guessing that system probably wouldn't work in todays UPS.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If they owed me for say 20 minutes I would give them one pay period to correct the situation. If it wasn't on the next check I would plop my butt down at a coffee shop for an extra 20 minutes or sit in my truck listening to the radio. Either way I got what I was owed. I'm guessing that system probably wouldn't work in todays UPS.
that's so funny. our drivers all did that when they felt slighted. I even told a boss that it didn't pay to cheat people since most drivers got payback for twice the amount.

they still haven't learned to this day.

rod

Retired 22 years
that's so funny. our drivers all did that when they felt slighted. I even told a boss that it didn't pay to cheat people since most drivers got payback for twice the amount.

they still haven't learned to this day.

I never was jumped by a manager for doing that--and for the most part they knew. Actually I think it saved them the B.S. of having to put in the paperwork or make the phone call to payroll. I was always overallowed anyway so what's another 20 minutes.