Job-setup, work for free

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I mean this with all seriousness and absolutely no sarcasm....

You have complained about your lack of effective union representation. Have you called your local Union hall to voice your concerns? And would you consider becoming a shop steward yourself? It sounds like you have the willingness to stand up for yourself, as well as a genuine concern for the well-being of your co-workers. That's 90% of what it takes to be an effective steward right there.
This is a pretty good suggestion. Then you slap them across the face with more article 17 grievances than they can count.

Dr.Brownz

Such blatant ignorance. I'm a real person asking for help in a real situation that no union-steward or supervisor cares about in my building. Not being paid for my time worked is not some frivolous topic. I simply reach out to learn from people who have experience.
It seems because I had a crush on a co-worker, suddenly everything I say regarding this job is irrelevant, that is not true. I am sincerely asking for help in keeping things safe, legal and drama-free, but then there are people like you who feel its better to project their own insecurities through cyber-bullying instead of lending a hand in my situation.
This SUP's idea of a PCM is telling us that we're all trespassing on his land and we should work for free. That is not how a UPS employee should act, and his behavior needs to be stopped. Just cause some driver sitting up on his high-horse thinks he's the bomb, doesn't mean that you demean the voice of someone who is legitimately asking for help.

You've made this same thread multiple times and you never follow anyone's advice.

Go read read your previous threads, its the same thing over and over. Call your
BA and if that doesn't work file labor board charges. Go do it.

But you wont because you are trolling.

arice11

I mean this with all seriousness and absolutely no sarcasm....

You have complained about your lack of effective union representation. Have you called your local Union hall to voice your concerns? And would you consider becoming a shop steward yourself? It sounds like you have the willingness to stand up for yourself, as well as a genuine concern for the well-being of your co-workers. That's 90% of what it takes to be an effective steward right there.

Finally some positive input.
You see this is the type of stuff I look to find here.
Such things are no longer mediated or proactively sought out in my building.
Sometimes I think that place is about 5% UPS the rest is some kind of thrown together ghetto warehouse.
Teamsters have no voice in that building, only people from United Way show up to beg for money.
No one has ever organized a single thing to inform us about union issues...well except when someone was stealing prescriptions and lottery tickets...that was the only time in 4 years when the Union steward stood up and talked to us as a group.
I should look into this, could be a way out of the boxes and into the paper work, hahaha

arice11

You've made this same thread multiple times and you never follow anyone's advice.

Go read read your previous threads, its the same thing over and over. Call your
BA and if that doesn't work file labor board charges. Go do it.

But you wont because you are trolling.

You know when I go out on a boat to fish, trolling is actually a very good way to catch the best 'em. Pace yourself and at the right moment you reel in the biggest one in the lake.
I don't know what "trolling" is to whatever useless social media paradigm, but to me its a practical way to be successful at obtaining some delicious goals!

newfie

You know when I go out on a boat to fish, trolling is actually a very good way to catch the best 'em. Pace yourself and at the right moment you reel in the biggest one in the lake.
I don't know what "trolling" is to whatever useless social media paradigm, but to me its a practical way to be successful at obtaining some delicious goals!

There is much to learn in the art of useless social media paradigms. Every poster on a message board is a psychiatrist eagerly awaiting the opportunity to practice their craft on your postings...:)

trickpony1

The union is good at some things and not so good at others.

It appears you've exhausted the union's ability to intercede and stop the theft of time.

You may want to file/call the Dept of Labor and/or the NLRB.

Got testicles?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

It appears you've exhausted the union's ability to intercede and stop the theft of time.

Got testicles?
From what I have read it does not appear that he has even begun to get the union involved in the theft of time.

Prior to involving the NLRB, I would say he should pick up the telephone and call his Local in order to utilize the grievance procedure.

He may very well have an ineffective steward, but that doesn't mean he has an ineffective Local.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Got testicles?
From what I have read it does not appear that he has even begun to get the union involved in the theft of time.

Prior to involving the NLRB, I would say he should pick up the telephone and call his Local in order to utilize the grievance procedure.

He may very well have an ineffective steward, but that doesn't mean he has an ineffective Local.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
this all is Basic Teamster 101.( meaning every Teamster should already know the answer ) you can search these forums on this problem that comes up here at least once a month and spend hrs reading similar threads.

the answer always comes out the same.

blkmamba

Finally some positive input.
You see this is the type of stuff I look to find here.
Such things are no longer mediated or proactively sought out in my building.
Sometimes I think that place is about 5% UPS the rest is some kind of thrown together ghetto warehouse.
Teamsters have no voice in that building, only people from United Way show up to beg for money.
No one has ever organized a single thing to inform us about union issues...well except when someone was stealing prescriptions and lottery tickets...that was the only time in 4 years when the Union steward stood up and talked to us as a group.
I should look into this, could be a way out of the boxes and into the paper work, hahaha
Not true. Teamsters always have a voice when they know their rights. You need to read your contract. Read labor laws. Educate yourself first and ask questions later.

You need to be proactive, not reactive. You get crap because you're dramatic and make issues that could be easily taken care look like a world ending catastrophe.

newfie

this all is Basic Teamster 101.( meaning every Teamster should already know the answer ) you can search these forums on this problem that comes up here at least once a month and spend hrs reading similar threads.

the answer always comes out the same.

agreed the sad thing is many responses to his question with no answers from the basic teamster playbook.

arice11

agreed the sad thing is many responses to his question with no answers from the basic teamster playbook.

No one will inform us about these playbooks, last time I saw an employee reading one, the supervisor got mad and sent him home. I think he was trying to ascertain if they could legally have him work on some holiday (which we did...it was only a 2.5 hour day)
I hear ya comments and I understand I have to go get 'em myself. I'm cool with that. Just need some info ammo from people who actually know what's up...if I go to my union steward and ask for a playbook, he'll just shake his head and tell me what he told my co-worker "That type of thing gets you in trouble"
That whole building needs to be refitted with a less grumpy union steward./

blkmamba

No one will inform us about these playbooks, last time I saw an employee reading one, the supervisor got mad and sent him home. I think he was trying to ascertain if they could legally have him work on some holiday (which we did...it was only a 2.5 hour day)
I hear ya comments and I understand I have to go get 'em myself. I'm cool with that. Just need some info ammo from people who actually know what's up...if I go to my union steward and ask for a playbook, he'll just shake his head and tell me what he told my co-worker "That type of thing gets you in trouble"
That whole building needs to be refitted with a less grumpy union steward./
You either make this crap up or your building has the biggest bunch of p******. You don't have to go to a steward to get a contract. No supervisor would send an employee home for reading a contract. If the employee was reading it while he should have been working, he would be refusing to work as directed. If what you say about your sup is true then he would have tried to fire the employee not send him home.