Jobs In Detroit - Dubai UAE

Hi All,

I am a UPSer from Dubai, UAE, moving to Detroit in July 08. I have four year experience with UPS , I started as a call center agent and was promoted within 2 yrs to freight services supervisor , coordinating LTLS and FTLS, I need some advise on applying for jobs in detroit area and advise on pay scales.. can someone assist me

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Re: Jobs In Detroit

My perception is that everyone drives a Mercedes and dresses in white robes (don't know what thats called) in Dubai. Is this your first trip to the U.S.?

Yes, it is my first trip to USA. Dont know the job market here...
Thats just a perception that people are rich... The white thing is called , tandora.,. ...
But salaries are good in dubai and people are treated with great respect, be it SP or any technician working with UPS.. Reading the forum here it doesnt look too good to me

DS

Fenderbender

Considering the price for a vanity licence plate with the #5 on it goes for 6.7 millon$and the number1 drew $14million you are way out of our league over here.Stay there ,no money here.
I dont think you can handle Detroit...
but you just never know...

ExupserNaples

Friend, Detroit is one of the most depressed, crime ridden, gray sky area that you could ever go to. Iraq might be better. He had to lose a bet. But on the bright side, real estate is real cheap. Just have a bunch of fire extinguishers ready for "fright night." (Google it):sad-very:

Guys,
First -I am a Female ,, so its "she"
Second- Please dont discourage me, i wanna b positive :-)
but lets see how things go...
i understand that Package ops sucks, but what abt UPS freight? I have expereince in LTLS as well

ExupserNaples

Sorry we assumed you were a man, not sure why. We are NOT trying to discourage anything at all. Just friendly advice. If I were moving to your country and inquired about the worst place in the whole country to live, and you gave me valuable information, I would be thanking you. But to each her own. Post how your Detroit lifestyle is going in a few months. All of us that said it was a bad move could use some gas cards.:happy-very:

cwmaxxout

Well you say you have a little time before you get too Detroit. I left Detroit for Texas, lived there over 40 years (warning if you ain't never been too the ghetto don't go to ghetto) The enconomy really sucks research on the internet check with UPS center. Detroit have alot of people that can do many jobs they don't need you help. Sorry about being blunt, but this one I could't help but respond. I'm doing much better in Texas now, so good luck!:whiteflag: MAXXOUT

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree, Detroit City should not be on you list of places you would like to live. I havent been there since the 70s and I hated it then. Sure I still would. On the bright side you can commute, and live outside of Detroit. I seem to remember an area called Walled lake, and New Boston, which seemed to be nice. I lived in Inkster, dont go there. AS far as opportunities, get with an HR person to make your transition smooth. Get them to get you in before you leave, experience there does not mean you can get hired here. Because of the job market, especially in slow growth areas, and Detroit would be one, and the whole state of Michigan is in recession. Good Luck

Channahon

Take Tooner's advice and get with your local HR manager. You will need to have all your paperwork in order to get a job in the US. Are you a US citizen or will you be working on a visa? You will have to prove to UPS that you are in this country legally and can work.

As far as the area of Detroit, it does have the largest concentration of people from the Middle East, so it may be the place for you to settle in the US.

Good luck

guys
thanks for ur advises.. the reason i have no choice but detroit is because, my husband is doing his residency in medicine at wayne state..
so , i hv no other option.. i was considering UPS to pursue with my career, but now i feel that other places would be better in terms of growth.. i just thought that UPS in Dubai was awesome to work for, in terms of work conditions and pay, same would be the case here,,,
anyway , thanks once again!! i will try my luck at some other organisation....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
guys
thanks for ur advises.. the reason i have no choice but detroit is because, my husband is doing his residency in medicine at wayne state..
so , i hv no other option.. i was considering UPS to pursue with my career, but now i feel that other places would be better in terms of growth.. i just thought that UPS in Dubai was awesome to work for, in terms of work conditions and pay, same would be the case here,,,
anyway , thanks once again!! i will try my luck at some other organisation....
My son was born in wayne county hospital. Great place then, (73, oh iam dating myself.) Dearborn now has like 70 percent arab americans and taylor is nice also. You will do fine just get with the hr rep. There are many burbs, where it is nice, but detroit city is nasty, wayne county is outta there. Just get a nice place in the burbs, and follow your husband. Ups grows everywhere, just need a foot in the door when you get here, or you will end up maybe not being able to find work, is my guess.

tejarajwani, I have a friend that just moved to to your homeland. Her husband is doing research of some type at the university in Columbo(?). They have been there a couple of weeks and have posted a few pictures on a travel blog. There sure is some pretty scenery. Their three sons are going to school there also. I think they are really enjoying the stay.