Joining the Union now or wait after the year?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Well the Union sure took care of that problem for new hire PT. Earn minimum wage and pay minimum dues. Like I said I am in my position by choice. Not complaining. In fact I feel sorry for a lot of middle age drivers. center manager beats them like a borrowed mule and they have no recourse then to wait for a Feeder route to open.
Yeah, I'm 39 myself and work way more than most of my peers, some make 60k some of us make 120k. I sometimes feel the taxes and whatnot don't make it worth while but, like you, I choose to work at the level I do. As you know, our union made options to fit employees lifestyles, you just have to work within those restraints and hopefully make good choices that work for you within them.

Yeah, I'm 39 myself and work way more than most of my peers, some make 60k some of us make 120k. I sometimes feel the taxes and whatnot don't make it worth while but, like you, I choose to work at the level I do. As you know, our union made options to fit employees lifestyles, you just have to work within those restraints and hopefully make good choices that work for you within them.
Be 60 this December. I think about retiring but making too much money and having too much fun. Most days.

clean hairy

OP, if you don't join, don't waste the time of anyone who is in the Union asking what to do because Management is picking you or your check is shorted.
I myself don't have time to help a person who won't help themselves by joining the union.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You don't get to vote. Oh yeah, you do get the same representation others get, I mean, stewards treat you the same and help you word grievances correctly, return your phone calls promptly, and include you in up to date information regarding your rights. Yeah, they get treated the same....
So you mean they get the same thing our union members get?
Oh, so they go out and negotiate their own contracts, defend themselves with discipline using the same black book we have as paying members, and pay their time in the trenches like the rest of us did with a FT job waiting on them at the end if they so choose?
Believe it or not, you don't always need someone else there to back you up. Imagine that.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So you mean they get the same thing our union members get?
Yes, of sorts.
Believe it or not, you don't always need someone else there to back you up. Imagine that.
Are you referring to discipline or just in general? When you're a small cog in big machine, you don't matter. Take a bunch of those cogs and when one goes down they all do, the machine has to take notice. Ask a member of FT management how they're treated and if they'd like their peers to back them up. Problem is they generally won't.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
In a RTW situation, don't you get all that a union member co-worker gets, even though you are not in the union?

Yes you do except when you have pay problems or a discipline issue. Being non Union may put you in the back of the line for representation.

From what I understood, the union has to defend non-members, true?

Yes, defend, sometimes meetings don't happen until weeks down the line and there's only so much time in the day.

I don't see why they should have any representation what so ever.

It is true. Possibly the suckiest part of RTW.

We've had scabs fired in my rtw state hub.

The stewards and the BA vigorously defended them as any dues paying member because that's what they are supposed to do. It's called integrity. Some officers in our union still have it

Once the employee returned to work they were handed a union membership form and politely told it was time to join.

Haven't seen one refuse yet

UPS4Life

I am not in a RTW state but if I was I would still join the union as I've never complained about dues being taken and knew going into it I had to pay them. If I didn't want to I could have went to fedex and made 2$ more an hour... I think I made the right decision.

With that being said, to the OP; if you are planning ups as a career I would join. If you are just out of high school and only using ups for school benefits and will be gone in two years or after school I would not.

I may get some flack for that view but I feel like if your not here to stay do us all a favor and just leave. Then again most people who quit will quit within a year so your basically giving the union free money and the company cheap labor.

All in all I would join, you won't regret it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Of you? Why would I be jealous of a brown nosing loser who has lived his whole life and has nothing to show for it except a leased car and an apartment.

...as opposed to a hick from the land of 10,000 lakes who looks forward to sitting in a shanty on a frozen lake in the middle of winter while rehashing memories of a company that no longer exists...