JUDGE OK'S Female Genital Mutilation

bbsam

Staff member
I do wonder how much of western revulsion to this practice has to do with th choice of it’s naming. If it were simply called “female circumcision”, would the outcry be as loud?

Or if male circumcision were called “male organ decimation” would it be as accepted?

That said, I would never subject my daughter to it and I didn’t object to my sons’ circumcisions so I’m pretty sure I have strong biases on the subject.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I do wonder how much of western revulsion to this practice has to do with th choice of it’s naming. If it were simply called “female circumcision”, would the outcry be as loud?

Or if male circumcision were called “male organ decimation” would it be as accepted?

That said, I would never subject my daughter to it and I didn’t object to my sons’ circumcisions so I’m pretty sure I have strong biases on the subject.
Except the female circumcision is actually mutilating the girl’s vagina. Have you ever read of the problems women have as a result of FGM? It’s pretty horrendous. Especially when they have babies.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I agree 100%. What they do to women should be criminal.
It is in some places. And some places allow it if a woman chooses to have it done to herself. I’m okay with it if the woman CHOOSES it. She’s the one who will have to deal with the resulting pain and any medical issues.

I have a huge issue when it’s done to young girls. If it’s the most extreme cut they will have to be cut open to have sex and again to have a baby. In more rural areas, having babies causes them to have fistulas where they constantly leak urine and feces. Many of them are kicked out by their husbands and kicked out of their villages. All over a procesure they never had a say in.

Indecisi0n

It is in some places. And some places allow it if a woman chooses to have it done to herself. I’m okay with it if the woman CHOOSES it. She’s the one who will have to deal with the resulting pain and any medical issues.

I have a huge issue when it’s done to young girls. If it’s the most extreme cut they will have to be cut open to have sex and again to have a baby. In more rural areas, having babies causes them to have fistulas where they constantly leak urine and feces. Many of them are kicked out by their husbands and kicked out of their villages. All over a procesure they never had a say in.
I leak urine sometimes.

bbsam

Staff member
Except the female circumcision is actually mutilating the girl’s vagina. Have you ever read of the problems women have as a result of FGM? It’s pretty horrendous. Especially when they have babies.
I have heard of them and believed much of it had to do with unsanitary conditions in third world countries. I would hope it would be different in the US but would not be at all surprised if it isn’t.