July 4th a Paid Holiday?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You have that option as well, you must use within 30days
Not at my station. I checked Policy the other day and it specifically says that management can decide which way to do it. Our management chooses to give us holiday cash for the 4th. Also, if you DO get a floater instead, you have to use it within 90 days, not 30.

SmithBarney

Not at my station. I checked Policy the other day and it specifically says that management can decide which way to do it. Our management chooses to give us holiday cash for the 4th. Also, if you DO get a floater instead, you have to use it within 90 days, not 30.
Shame, it didn't matter for me, but someone brought the policy to them so they could get the floater at another time. I guess like most "policy" some management just like to make it up as they go, like ours that blocked July 3rd from vacation, figure that out.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Shame, it didn't matter for me, but someone brought the policy to them so they could get the floater at another time. I guess like most "policy" some management just like to make it up as they go, like ours that blocked July 3rd from vacation, figure that out.

Lots of things are at the discretion of management. Don't know why that bugs people.

SmithBarney

Lots of things are at the discretion of management. Don't know why that bugs people.
Yes, sure they can do what they want, but not without ramifications... So when you require people to come in on a historically low volume day(the day before the 4th is always light) and then send a bunch home, and a bunch on road making minimums, its a failure.
BTW, I wasn't on the conference call but I hear it was a fun one, trying to explain why we were so overstaffed, and paying out minimums and guarantee pay to over 70% of staff...

vantexan

Everything is at the discretion of mismanagement, as well as the blanket 'needs of the company'. You are a pawn to be abused as well as used.
When my mgrs in New Mexico put FedEx pkgs into plain wrapping and mailed them to remote areas to keep me from getting OT it wasn't at their discretion, although they did use the station's discretionary fund to pay for the postage.

59 Dano

You're like a monkey that has to be retrained. Years and years of participation here and you can't figure out that managers have discretion despite all the "We do this at my station" and "Really? We do something different at my station" posts. Sad.

vantexan

You're like a monkey that has to be retrained. Years and years of participation here and you can't figure out that managers have discretion despite all the "We do this at my station" and "Really? We do something different at my station" posts. Sad.
I'm very aware of management's adjusting to situations on the fly. I'm always amazed when they go way beyond the bounds of corporate policy because they think the courier doesn't have a clue and they'll get away with it. Things that hurt courier morale. Or even as in the above example screw over customers trying to meet unreasonable expectations of upper management.

59 Dano

I'm very aware of management's adjusting to situations on the fly. I'm always amazed when they go way beyond the bounds of corporate policy because they think the courier doesn't have a clue and they'll get away with it. Things that hurt courier morale. Or even as in the above example screw over customers trying to meet unreasonable expectations of upper management.
ok