Jury Duty Pay What Happened?

woodsplitter1

I Am Trying To Find The Artice About Jury Duty Pay In The New Contract Or Supplement.where Did It Go? Do We Still Get 8 Hours Pay?

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Time to dig up an old thread, nobody answered this one.

I had jury duty last week, I took off two days. Under Article 29 of the last NMA, you turn in your jury pay and UPS pays you eight straight hours for the days served. I asked my supervisor today if I needed to turn in my jury duty pay, and he told me "to keep it". I went to UPSers.com a while ago to view my paycheck tomorrow, I'm short two days. Whats up? Did they just forget to put the days into payroll, or did we lose this benefit? I couldn't find Article 29 in the new NMA linked to this site.

tourists24

Time to dig up an old thread, nobody answered this one.

I had jury duty last week, I took off two days. Under Article 29 of the last NMA, you turn in your jury pay and UPS pays you eight straight hours for the days served. I asked my supervisor today if I needed to turn in my jury duty pay, and he told me "to keep it". I went to UPSers.com a while ago to view my paycheck tomorrow, I'm short two days. Whats up? Did they just forget to put the days into payroll, or did we lose this benefit? I couldn't find Article 29 in the new NMA linked to this site.
It is possible they forgot Scratch, but probably not. Get with your center manager and get him to correct it. The contract language has not changed and you get your guarantee, minus any amount received from jury duty.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, tourist24
Thats my understanding the way I see it. They usually forget to put in Option Days whenever I take off, I have to remind them three or four times to get it straightened out.

Ghost in the Darkness

When we serve on jury duty here we don't even see the jury duty pay from the county.

Same here. I had Jury Duty back in March. Showed up at 8:30 and they released us who weren't selected at 11:30. I got home and called work to make sure I didn't have to come in and they said no. I was paid my 8 hrs with no hassle and got the afternoon off too. Good deal!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got it straightened out today. Supervisor claims somebody else coded the two days wrong last week. He pulled up the records and I was coded "jury duty no pay" instead of "jury duty with pay". I kept the jury duty check, payroll will just subtract the $70 difference when I get the two days back.

I like jury duty, I wish they would call me more. I sat in on two jury selections for felony assault cases in Superior Court. I didn't make the jury on either one of them, the judge is a buddy of mine. We used to go backpacking all over the place as adult scout leaders. He was an assistant DA at the time, so I probably was struck off the list by both defense attorneys. It was tough to sit in the air conditioned Courthouse and catch up on some reading. We got to go home at 2:30 on Monday and he let us go home at 12:30 on Wednesday. It was an interesting way to watch the justice process and beat the hell out of shaking and baking in a package car in this hot weather.

Dustyroads

I was on a jury trial for two days a couple months ago. The day I returned I reminded the management team that I had jury duty for those two days. They said yeah, yeah, yeah. Well, when the pay was issued, they paid me for one day, eight hours. I told the steward. He spoke with the management team, and they assured me it would be corrected on the next pay period. Well, the next check comes out, and no pay. Well, the same steward then called the center manager at home, and the next morning they offered me a "green check" the next day or jury pay the on the next pay period. The next Thursday comes around, and presto, payroll finally gets it right; they pay me the second day at 8 hours, and they checked with the county court and determined that I would be paid by the county $10 for each day, so payroll then subtracted twenty bucks from the 8 hours they owed me. Because I was in such a kind mood, I didn't charge them late fees for being two weeks late. Just a team player :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son just got a jury questionairre in the mail. I told him I would gladly switch places with him. We share the same first name but different middle names so probably wouldn't work.