just fired..... now what?

CustomerConcern

How typical....UPSer jerks around then finally gets fired and of course it's the "stewards" fault when they don't get to keep their job. Hey slacker....you made the bed now sleep in it. Don't go running around crying that everyone else is doing just as bad...I am sure there was somehting else that got you on the radar and this was the easiest way to erase you. Sadly, though, its guys like you who go to panel and usually survive because they bargain over the stack of terminations and yours will probably get passed into the "save" stack.

brett636

Seriously, consider this a valuable lesson learned and do the job as its meant to be done in the time its meant to be done in. Your guaranteed 8 hours everyday, so if you get done in 5 ask your sup for your guarantee. Did you really think nobody would notice that a job that is supposed to only take 5 hours is taking you 9.5-10? Don't pay attention to what other drivers are doing as that is none of your concern. If they are seriously screwing around they will also get what is coming to them, but until that happens you don't know if they have a reason why they take so long to do their jobs or if management is aware of their performance. Some feeder drivers here would kill for an eight hour day since all of them work 10-12 hours normally, and by dragging your feet as much as you admit to your making sure your days at UPS are numbered. Goodluck and remember that a fair days work for a fair days pay goes both ways!

steeltoe

I agree with all the other replies. How can you have a meeting with the manager, the steward, get fired, and not be on the clock?

Again, the OP is wrong, but should he not have been on the clock when fired?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with all the other replies. How can you have a meeting with the manager, the steward, get fired, and not be on the clock?

I am just guessing but if he had punched in would he have been guaranteed his 8?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm still trying to come to grip with the fact that there is a job at UPS that takes only 5 but you are allowed 8. How did this fall through the cracks? Can't say I've ever seen anyone fired from UPS that wasn't guilty.

Re-Raise

I'm still trying to come to grip with the fact that there is a job at UPS that takes only 5 but you are allowed 8. How did this fall through the cracks?

That was my question also. I can't even imagine it happening on a rare occasion.

The OP seems to make like it was happening consistently, and not just his route but other drivers as well.

Does his center accept transfers?

formymax

Oh, it exists and it is indeed called the Feeder Department. Unfortunately the OP's story is the norm. I was a hard working driver for many years in one of the most crime ridden parts of the country. After coming to feeders, I was shocked to see what the OP described on a regular basis. I would like to see drivers like the OP, if the company chooses to give them their jobs back, be banned from feeders. As I have seen it, the dispatch segment of the department is broken. At their discretion, a dispatcher (equivalent to an OMS clerk) doles out extra assignments, unscheduled work and overtime. If a driver takes the time to develop a "personal" relationship with the dispatchers (i.e. stand around on the clock, BS and mostly talk about other drivers) they can write their own ticket - regardless of seniority or job performance. The drivers who make the most money, get assignments of their choosing and drive their choice of equipment are the ones always just "hanging" around. These drivers are also some of the worst performers on paper - go figure. Feeders is the easiest job in the company. The way management treats you is like night and day compared to delivery supervisors. Yet, there are a few that still try to "work" the system. Please, make it easy on all of us and just do your job.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Around here you must be on the clock to be terminated. They only pay 30 minutes though. Hard to ask for a guarantee if you are fired for a cardinal infraction. If you win with full back pay then you would get the 8hrs for the day of termination. Unfortunately, most times the company offers to return employee to work with all time off served as a suspension. Usually within a day or two of the termination. 99% of the time employee will take the deal just to get back to work, no matter how good their case is, so they never get the back pay.