Just got forced in saturday

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You answer the phone on your day off?

or did they tell you on friday during work?

before cell phones the company wanted to give me a pager so they could page me to come in when I was on the relief board. I wouldn't take it. I just called in in the morning and then late afternoon to see if there was any feeder work. If they bypassed my seniority in retaliation I filed greivances . I filed so many that after awhile they left me alone.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
You answer the phone on your day off?

or did they tell you on friday during work?

before cell phones the company wanted to give me a pager so they could page me to come in when I was on the relief board. I wouldn't take it. I just called in in the morning and then late afternoon to see if there was any feeder work. If they bypassed my seniority in retaliation I filed greivances . I filed so many that after awhile they left me alone.
Friday morning

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Friday morning
pre-emptive strike.

fight fire with fire
call out sick Saturday morning and there is no reason to prove it with a drs note unless it is 3 days in a row.

these people think they own you but they don't. learn and know your rights before doing anything.

My BA told me that if the company forced me to carry a company owned pager then they would have to pay
me all the hours I was waiting "on call"
That stopped the company in it's tracks.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
pre-emptive strike.

fight fire with fire
call out sick Saturday morning and there is no reason to prove it with a drs note unless it is 3 days in a row.

these people think they own you but they don't. learn and know your rights before doing anything.

My BA told me that if the company forced me to carry a company owned pager then they would have to pay
me all the hours I was waiting "on call"
That stopped the company in it's tracks.
Shop steward said they can get me for dependability even when calling in

Thebrownblob

You Shop Stewart is partially correct, The problem begins with the failure of UPS to uphold their end of the bargain. The building is not properly staffed indefinitely.

The other issue is there’s no such thing as dependability in the contract. There is however and attendance policy. But If the temperature was 100° all week you just simply call and tell them you’re too tired and feel it would be unsafe to go a sixth unscheduled day. If your attendance is stellar Monday through Friday I have a hard time believing a panel is going to fire you.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I'm sorry. Was just trying to help. maybe some of the other responses may help.

I just don't understand how the company can force you. Yes, it's possible for them to work you extra hours when you are already at work. In feeder I would get back from Sacramento and then they would force me to go to airport for a pickup after going down the line in seniority.

I understood , although not happy about it , that UPS has a business to run and need to service their customers.
Without customers we would all be screwed.

how many drivers they need and the seniority list isn’t just something they can choose to ignore.
Hopefully that gets addressed in the next contract.

They need to quit taking Monday's work and forwarding it to Saturdays.

I know every supplements different but put it in the master contract . A sixth punch weather volunteered or Force should be automatic double time.

Money is the only penalty this company understands

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If you have absolutely no recourse then take your time and make the time and a half $$$. .
Pay down principle on your mortgage......retire early if house is paid off faster.
Pay off debt.
Save more for the nicer things in life like family vacations , toys, etc.

I actually liked working Saturdays ( didnt tell them this ) but took my time all day. They didnt care as long as the work was covered. Saturdays are usually mellower around the hub anyways.

I retired about 4-7 years early because of all the overtime. Paid off house in 17 years instead of 30. Paid off all debt.
Took care of big item purchases while still working.
Retired at age 58 in relatively good health. Plenty of time to really enjoy life.

It just seems like this kind of thing is gonna become normal.