Just how much job security do we really have as union employees

UPSER1987

This morning after load I was taken into a truck with the onroad sup and a driver.
The PT sup said the truck looked excellent that morning but nonetheless the driver apparently went and complained to the onroad sup so the three of us went in the cargo area and had a "training session" which consisted of them nitpicking the load.

He said he wants every single package in perfect numerical order, that there should be no gaps at all in between packages (he has a huge truck, not sure what model it is but the cargo area is the most spacious I've ever seen and is never full, only runs about 220 packages daily), and that I need to identify and group together every bulk stop (even "bulk stops" consisting of 2 packages).

As he was explaining this, he elucidated his point by saying something like "You see, look here, if the packages are like this, I have to walk all the way down here (he proceeded to walk literally two steps) and grab it."
I almost started laughing because it struck me as comical at first until I realized he was dead serious.

The manager proceeded to tell me that after the load is done I should be "massaging the load" to clean it up and reach the driver's standards (even though I am cut as soon as my last small is coming down the belt and am not allotted any time at all to do this. I am never even allowed to stay for air.)
My temper started to rise and I made a few sarcastic comments to them. The manager seemed apologetic but the driver didn't say much after that.

I'm wondering just how much push back we can give, how much mouthing off can we do before it becomes an issue? Because what they were asking for is ridiculous in light of the work expected of me and I'm at that stage in my life where I am not liable to keep my mouth shut anymore. I'm open to criticism but I'm not going to put up with unrealistic standards.

I hate drivers like this. They like they are performing heart surgery- you’re delivering boxes. If he doesn’t like it he can fix it himself- he’s getting paid for it. Both you and the manager should tell him to friend off.

handleubb29392

I had to create an account just to laugh at you. I was loader on twilight for 4 years before I started driving. In no way is the heat even comparable. Package car heat sends people to the hospital, trailer heat sends you to the safety office to get a popsicle. Also, twilight runs into the dark when it starts to cool down so definitely a very interesting take. Regardless I don’t necessarily agree with a driver pulling a manager onto your truck is right. Just do your best we understand some things are out of your control.
Bootlicker

Not Rushin’

Your job, and how well you do it/the amount of care you put into it, DIRECTLY affects our day - it's the single biggest factor in whether we will have a good or bad day.

A bad load - * everywhere with no care put into where the packages are loaded or how bulk stops are grouped, or a load that’s poorly thought out - early day packages buried underneath 7-8000s on the wheelwells where they can't be seen or accessed without unloading/moving 10 pcs around just to make the stop....this * KILLS us.

A good load - one where the loader has done his best to get the packages on the correct shelf, in pretty close to the correct order, and doesn't have us looking a for that last straggler package of a 26 piece bulk stop, because they were loaded together. If you have packages for your load that day that are loaded under things or in a place other than the PAL number - scribble down a quick note and leave it on the driver's seat...these things, especially the note, makes our day so much better - not easier, but smoother, faster, and less frustrating,

As someone who loads the package cars, you should think to yourself everyday, "how would I load this truck, if it was me who had to deliver it"?

All that said, I know you guys have a near impossible job. The packages keep getting bigger, and there's more of them than ever too. They don't come down in order, and you've got to get them in the trucks to make room to get to the belt and your other cars, and worry about the order later...sometimes they toss you before that later comes. We understand all that. But you've really got to make a true and honest effort at doing your best everyday - you have one of the most important jobs at the company and the one that most affects your union bros and hoes.

If you're doing your best, and it's not perfect, oh well. That's how it goes. But just saying "oh that’s good enough", and half-assing it, instead of trying to make it as neat and organized as possible, is totally unacceptable. For everyone - PT sup, Sort Sup, Driver, Dispatch, ORS, Center Manager...we ALL suffer that day if the loaders don't do their jobs correctly. That's how important it is - now if they only paid you guys like it was, I have a feeling we'd have less issues...but that's just my guess.
The preload is given the tools to give a perfect load every day, but they’re not given the time. I’d rather have a good load and have to wrap up my car myself than be all loaded up with an unstable out of order, no PAL numbered load.
We all have difficult jobs, just express what you need in a positive way. Don’t rat someone out

freehoodies

This morning after load I was taken into a truck with the onroad sup and a driver.
The PT sup said the truck looked excellent that morning but nonetheless the driver apparently went and complained to the onroad sup so the three of us went in the cargo area and had a "training session" which consisted of them nitpicking the load.

He said he wants every single package in perfect numerical order, that there should be no gaps at all in between packages (he has a huge truck, not sure what model it is but the cargo area is the most spacious I've ever seen and is never full, only runs about 220 packages daily), and that I need to identify and group together every bulk stop (even "bulk stops" consisting of 2 packages).

As he was explaining this, he elucidated his point by saying something like "You see, look here, if the packages are like this, I have to walk all the way down here (he proceeded to walk literally two steps) and grab it."
I almost started laughing because it struck me as comical at first until I realized he was dead serious.

The manager proceeded to tell me that after the load is done I should be "massaging the load" to clean it up and reach the driver's standards (even though I am cut as soon as my last small is coming down the belt and am not allotted any time at all to do this. I am never even allowed to stay for air.)
My temper started to rise and I made a few sarcastic comments to them. The manager seemed apologetic but the driver didn't say much after that.

I'm wondering just how much push back we can give, how much mouthing off can we do before it becomes an issue? Because what they were asking for is ridiculous in light of the work expected of me and I'm at that stage in my life where I am not liable to keep my mouth shut anymore. I'm open to criticism but I'm not going to put up with unrealistic standards.
If you can bring yourself to do it, just let it slide. Maybe he had a really bad fight with his wife the night before or something. Doesn't make it right but we are all human.

If you cant, then just :censored2: his :censored2: all up and just have that newbie stressed/anxious look on your face while your doing it. Wink at the manager when they notice whats happening for bonus points.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Load it in sequence, as the job SHOULD be done. Irregs and bulks in sequence on floor, no custom loads cause it screws a cover if they run the route. Driver should be in dispatches office to have regular bulk stops reassigned to the spot they want it.

You should be have looked the driver in the face and told him you’re his union brother and the load is the way it is because of managements time constraints. You should be loading in sequence and filing on management for harassment if they say anything about speed.

Work as directed doesn't apply when being told to not follow the methods or safety related. Get a backbone and stand up for yourself without raising your voice or cursing.
Great response.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
As for when you're getting chewed out by somebody, it's in your best interest to say the least possible response that's the most truthful, such as "I'm doing my best", and stay calm while they go off the rails. You don't even have to respond.
when you're getting chewed out play dumb as much as possible. like if they ask you a question, make like you're just listening intently to what they're saying and expecting them to say something next as if they didn't even ask you a question. and "explain" yourself by going off on weird tangents. make it a chore for them to even carry on a conversation with you.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
when you're getting chewed out play dumb as much as possible. like if they ask you a question, make like you're just listening intently to what they're saying and expecting them to say something next as if they didn't even ask you a question. and "explain" yourself by going off on weird tangents. make it a chore for them to even carry on a conversation with you.
Playing dumb is my strongest talent 😂

freehoodies

>me getting asked what the hell went wrong yesterday
>”I thought it went pretty well”

Attachments

• BB2555FF-1C73-4BEF-9597-B7D1D8980CD8.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 58

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Driver cries like a little beotch. Load bomber's label down, and conveniently switch a few labels!

RMR46

RMR46

Tell the driver to stick it up his ass and straighten a truck out when it gets out on the route you did the best you can don't worry about it

quad decade guy

Tell the driver to stick it up his ass and straighten a truck out when it gets out on the route you did the best you can don't worry about it
Ok.

He would be doing your job then...

Driver is responsible......mgr......ORS....even you big boy.

I now co-work with my former loader. He got out of pkg asap......into feeders.....Wonder why?