Just how much job security do we really have as union employees

specter208

I recommend you try to be calm and show that you do care by doing the best you can. If you love your job and work and care for the driver then try not to talk back. Let your work do the talking and be humble and he will probably notice and be more forgiving.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
As someone who gets into that package car everyday, I can assure you that it wasn't designed to hold that many packages, and still function as a spacious store of sorted packages, setup in the order of delivery, all ready to grab 'em and fly, like the UPS training videos show.

You know, with the guy sliding 6 packages up the clean, dust-free, bare shelf to the selection area...

No, it looks like this:View attachment 253369

How exactly was the loader supposed to get these all in perfect order, and manage not to bury anything in the process?

Be :censored2:ing real, or at least stop being a troll in serious threads. You're being disingenuous.
This guy has gotta be just a troll, or is one of those drivers that has a total of 80-140 stops loaded in a 700 or 800 and :censored3: about it still. Probably one of those old dinosaurs that just won't leave to finally be turned out to pasture.

This is probably the car he got his wings with, the geriatric...
87bd2c3208a044461e7e28118ab7f1c1.jpg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Yeah the drivers have a difficult job....and so do I.
I have my own set of problems to worry about and lining up packages in perfect sequence ain't one of them.
Don't give me crap about 130 degrees. I unloaded trailers on twilight all last year.
A driver in 130 degrees for a few seconds compared to me being in 130 degrees continuously for hours.

I bet you also have the hardest pull in the building

A

Article 3

I only read the first post and a few after, so the other pages are whatever to me. If you want to fix this driver's issue, just do this:

Stack out the other two or three cars you load, and really focus on this problem driver's car. If any of the other drivers say anything to you, make damn sure they know why you're doing what you are doing. They will resent the everloving friend out of that guy. You can only go so fast, and apparently that guy is a special snowflake who needs the most attention. He'll eventually get enough crap from the other drivers or you'll be moved to a different set. Enjoy!
Heck, stack them all out and tell the other drivers why they're stacked out too. If he wants to come into your work area and bring a trained supe along to document your alleged transgressions then he's no longer a co-worker, he's handled the issue totally wrong.
The belt supes are trained to audit loads. If they're too lazy to do it then that's on the company.
If the driver to comes to your car with your boss to complain about his load then he has no right to your respect until he apologizes.
Everything rolls downhill but the collusion between the company and this driver against you is wrong.
Call the union hall. I hope you have officers that are lnt in bed with the company too.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Your job, and how well you do it/the amount of care you put into it, DIRECTLY affects our day - it's the single biggest factor in whether we will have a good or bad day.

A bad load - :censored2: everywhere with no care put into where the packages are loaded or how bulk stops are grouped, or a load that’s poorly thought out - early day packages buried underneath 7-8000s on the wheelwells where they can't be seen or accessed without unloading/moving 10 pcs around just to make the stop....this :censored2: KILLS us.

A good load - one where the loader has done his best to get the packages on the correct shelf, in pretty close to the correct order, and doesn't have us looking a for that last straggler package of a 26 piece bulk stop, because they were loaded together. If you have packages for your load that day that are loaded under things or in a place other than the PAL number - scribble down a quick note and leave it on the driver's seat...these things, especially the note, makes our day so much better - not easier, but smoother, faster, and less frustrating,

As someone who loads the package cars, you should think to yourself everyday, "how would I load this truck, if it was me who had to deliver it"?

All that said, I know you guys have a near impossible job. The packages keep getting bigger, and there's more of them than ever too. They don't come down in order, and you've got to get them in the trucks to make room to get to the belt and your other cars, and worry about the order later...sometimes they toss you before that later comes. We understand all that. But you've really got to make a true and honest effort at doing your best everyday - you have one of the most important jobs at the company and the one that most affects your union bros and hoes.

If you're doing your best, and it's not perfect, oh well. That's how it goes. But just saying "oh that’s good enough", and half-assing it, instead of trying to make it as neat and organized as possible, is totally unacceptable. For everyone - PT sup, Sort Sup, Driver, Dispatch, ORS, Center Manager...we ALL suffer that day if the loaders don't do their jobs correctly. That's how important it is - now if they only paid you guys like it was, I have a feeling we'd have less issues...but that's just my guess.
Tldr

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Don't even think of doing that. Just do your job to the best of your ability and in a safe manor and they can't do anything to you. Get used to being yelled at---it comes with the job no matter what your position is.
Back in the 50s it was a bit different

UPSER1987

You really have to be dumb to get fired at UPS. We take anyone and everyone as long as you’re breathing. Preload drivers hub all need mouth breathers

bumped

This morning after load I was taken into a truck with the onroad sup and a driver.
The PT sup said the truck looked excellent that morning but nonetheless the driver apparently went and complained to the onroad sup so the three of us went in the cargo area and had a "training session" which consisted of them nitpicking the load.

He said he wants every single package in perfect numerical order, that there should be no gaps at all in between packages (he has a huge truck, not sure what model it is but the cargo area is the most spacious I've ever seen and is never full, only runs about 220 packages daily), and that I need to identify and group together every bulk stop (even "bulk stops" consisting of 2 packages).

As he was explaining this, he elucidated his point by saying something like "You see, look here, if the packages are like this, I have to walk all the way down here (he proceeded to walk literally two steps) and grab it."
I almost started laughing because it struck me as comical at first until I realized he was dead serious.

The manager proceeded to tell me that after the load is done I should be "massaging the load" to clean it up and reach the driver's standards (even though I am cut as soon as my last small is coming down the belt and am not allotted any time at all to do this. I am never even allowed to stay for air.)
My temper started to rise and I made a few sarcastic comments to them. The manager seemed apologetic but the driver didn't say much after that.

I'm wondering just how much push back we can give, how much mouthing off can we do before it becomes an issue? Because what they were asking for is ridiculous in light of the work expected of me and I'm at that stage in my life where I am not liable to keep my mouth shut anymore. I'm open to criticism but I'm not going to put up with unrealistic standards.

Just tell him. "If you thought today was bad, wait until tomorrow"