Just how much job security do we really have as union employees

Jstpeachy

This is understandable.

I wish every loader who had trips in their set with committed air, just put the committed next days in the cab, and let us put them where they went or where we wanted them before we left the bldg.

Pretty simple solution, and makes things easier on everyone. No looking around for missing NDA at a stop for the driver, no thought besides air = front of the cab for the preloader.

We leave all air on the bumper or stacked out at the back of the truck. Is that not standard at other buildings? Makes it simple when our drivers come in “I’ve got 3 air on my board” 1,2,3 check!

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Never understood why it is so hard to load packages in a package car.
It says right in the name what it is designed to hold. Package Cars are designed to hold packages.
Not sure why preloaders can't do something so simple

GenericUsername

I only read the first post and a few after, so the other pages are whatever to me. If you want to fix this driver's issue, just do this:

Stack out the other two or three cars you load, and really focus on this problem driver's car. If any of the other drivers say anything to you, make damn sure they know why you're doing what you are doing. They will resent the everloving friend out of that guy. You can only go so fast, and apparently that guy is a special snowflake who needs the most attention. He'll eventually get enough crap from the other drivers or you'll be moved to a different set. Enjoy!

LarryBird

Never understood why it is so hard to load packages in a package car.
It says right in the name what it is designed to hold. Package Cars are designed to hold packages.
Not sure why preloaders can't do something so simple
It's not simple. They are asked to fit an eight ball's worth of coke, into a baggie designed to hold a gram, to put it into words that you can relate to.

Sometimes the excess coke just spills out onto the table, and there's nobody there with a straw to snort it up, so they've got to just sweep it up into a pile again, and try their best to jam it into the bag.

They do their best. It's hard to load everything where it's supposed to be in the truck - especially when the dispatch has 75 pcs set for the 3000 section...75 pcs that are supposedly gonna fit in a 5 foot long, by 3 foot deep, by 2.5 foot tall section of shelf - it's not gonna happen.

That's why these loaders should make a note of it, and load them in the best, most organized manner they can. I'd rather see them put them where they fit and can be grouped in some kind of order together and leave me a note about it, than I would seeing them try to fit them on the 3000s and piling the rest in front of the bulkhead and hand truck because their sheet told them to.

But that's just me. I have some common sense.

Ipopsheep

85% percent of the things we worry about never happen. you could be a piece of :censored2: loader and nothing will never happen to you for 10 years. Just give a :censored2: eating grin and say I will try harder. you can do it everyday and nothing will happen to you. Go Go Union

LarryBird

@CoolStoryBro

It is that simple
Load the packages into a Package Car that is designed to hold them.
As someone who gets into that package car everyday, I can assure you that it wasn't designed to hold that many packages, and still function as a spacious store of sorted packages, setup in the order of delivery, all ready to grab 'em and fly, like the UPS training videos show.

You know, with the guy sliding 6 packages up the clean, dust-free, bare shelf to the selection area...

No, it looks like this:
20190611_093441.jpg

How exactly was the loader supposed to get these all in perfect order, and manage not to bury anything in the process?

Be :censored2:ing real, or at least stop being a troll in serious threads. You're being disingenuous.

A

Article 3

This is exactly right.

That's where a note left on the driver's seat is a simple solution - "Hey couldn't fit _____ here, so it's here instead", takes 20 seconds, and saves the driver a ton of aggravation.

My loader did this everyday for all 3 of the trucks he loaded, in addition to splitting the belt for everyone because he was at the top, and it made our days much easier. He was never asked to do this - he just did it. This kid really cares if he does a good job every day, and he's one of the 2 or 3 best loaders in the building. That's why he get's holiday tips and gifts from his drivers, including the cover guys.

It doesn't go unnoticed when somebody cares about their job, and it's effects on how well you do yours, as the next guy down the line.

All that said, he is not my loader anymore. My new bid is not in his set, and my new loader blows. He is a cover driver too, which makes it all the more annoying - he :censored2:ing knows better. He just doesn't give a :censored2:. Which is understandable, as I'm sure he wants to be on the road, and not loading a truck at 4am for someone else to go make almost $40 an hour, while he makes his $15 building rate. But those are the breaks - do your :censored2:ing job right...which means to the best of your ability, when all the :censored2: out of your control is factored in, you've done your best to control what you could - how much you gave a :censored2:.
I'd tell that :censored2: driver to :censored2: :censored2: his :censored2: into the :censored2: office and get back under the :censored2: desk or the :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: manager :censored2:.

:censored2: his :censored2: :censored2:.

I feel better. :censored2:.

(Sorry, I thought this was the chat room.)

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryBird

Senior drivers decided that they wanted to have high turnover and a lower class of new hires.

They got exactly what they bargained for.
Not exactly true.

Part-timers make up a majority of this company's workforce, and it's not the driver's fault that the PT employees don't vote. They could dictate the terms of the contract through their voting power, if they exercised it, but they don't. So they get what they get, which is unfortunate that we as drivers sell you out for ourselves, but we did.

But do you think we wouldn't strike if you guys voted and that's how it went down - do you think we'd cross - you're out of your :censored2:ing mind if you think we wouldn't have your backs.

So you're half right - you got sold out. But it wasn't 'senior drivers' faults, it was your own.

Vote next time. Exercise your power in numbers. These packages don't move anywhere without you, nevermind the 'last mile' - you hold real power in this company and this union, if you want it.