Just quit glad I did.

over9five

Staff member

jaker

trolling
This is why it is always a good idea to read the entire thread before posting. The OP is going to tech school to learn how to repair forklifts, a job that most certainly has it's ups and downs.
Sorry to tell you I always read the whole thread and in this thread he only posted once , so if he posted once and didn't say what tech job then how am I supposed to know what job he is going to do

So show me upstate where he posted that info in this thread

working up a sweat

If you want to work for UPS, develop a thick skin and a strong back. Only 4% on my shift are under 30. The younger generation feel that they are entitled to the false utopia their parents and teachers told them about. If a sup wants to push you, push back. They will back off. You will earn respect with them if they see you working hard and making an effort. Don't be a "victim".

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have been loading for over 6 years and feel like walking out every night one of these nights I believe I will.
I applaud you! No one wants to be a pt here it is crappy pay and terrible work environment and the heat just tips it over the edge.
wow people totally overreact and let this stuff get to them. If you have been there 6 years why in the world would it get to you anymore just let it role of your back u know the game don't play it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you want to work for UPS, develop a thick skin and a strong back. Only 4% on my shift are under 30. The younger generation feel that they are entitled to the false utopia their parents and teachers told them about. If a sup wants to push you, push back. They will back off. You will earn respect with them if they see you working hard and making an effort. Don't be a "victim".
this is so true it's a generational thing I'm 30 but these new hires from 18-23 wow the sense of entitlement and lack of work ethic is amazing.

OptimusPrime

this is so true it's a generational thing I'm 30 but these new hires from 18-23 wow the sense of entitlement and lack of work ethic is amazing.

It's not a generational thing. At least not in this situation. There is ZERO reason to work here if you aren't a degenerate. Minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Is oppressive heat, poor environment, back breaking work, awful management really worth an extra $1.25 an hour? Especially with the fact you are required to show up 5 days a week, and maybe only get 15-18 hours? Hell no. If you aren't a criminal, don't act like a :censored2:, and have some ok people skills, you go get a job at the mall, local department store, or even a gas station. And you more than likely get similar pay, more hours, and don't work a 1/4 as hard. And that's in a climate controlled environment.

CAFAL

He didn't get into the union, ups got three weeks out of him and he is already replaced. They saved a ton of money by pushing him oit and moving onto another innocent body

Jigawatts

Not sure what the procedure is now, but when I was hired everything was done by a staffing company. Pretty sure UPS has to pay them for the day if they hire someone or not. As far as training, there is none. We watched a short video with happy UPS employees moving parcels in a nice and neat facility. On the job training was "here's a trailer, unload it as fast as possible."

Although I was always more of an Ultimate Warrior fan, I agree with Hulkamania. It's probably much cheaper to have a high turn over rate than pay someone with a little seniority. Especially now with the health care situation. Also, any clown off the street can unload a trailer or load a truck. Hourlies were much more valuable before PAS.

Good luck to the OP. UPS isn't for everyone.

working up a sweat

Look around and see who works PT for UPS. The small contractor who owns his own small business with maybe 1 or 2 employees that pays for his own health insurance if he did not work here. The middle age person who has lost his job and has little future prospects in his chosen career. The housewife, who's husband can't get our Cadillac insurance plan that UPS provides. The 55 year old guy who works for a major insurance company that has a good job title and has to travel a few times a year out of town for conferences( His health insurance stinks compared to UPS). The old retired guy who can physically hack it and get SS, UPS pay and Teamsters pension and insurance at the same time. The West Indian or non native US citizen, who's culture stresses on making it good in America and working 2 jobs. The single mother who's kid's father does not pay the freight. Little young Johnny living in his parents cellar does not have the incentive( even the tuition aid) to stay here.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Look around and see who works PT for UPS. The small contractor who owns his own small business with maybe 1 or 2 employees that pays for his own health insurance if he did not work here. The middle age person who has lost his job and has little future prospects in his chosen career. The housewife, who's husband can't get our Cadillac insurance plan that UPS provides. The 55 year old guy who works for a major insurance company that has a good job title and has to travel a few times a year out of town for conferences( His health insurance stinks compared to UPS). The old retired guy who can physically hack it and get SS, UPS pay and Teamsters pension and insurance at the same time. The West Indian or non native US citizen, who's culture stresses on making it good in America and working 2 jobs. The single mother who's kid's father does not pay the freight. Little young Johnny living in his parents cellar does not have the incentive( even the tuition aid) to stay here.

Or the other 90% who are students working their way through college.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Or the other 90% who are students working their way through college.

90%???
You really need to get out of your office/cubicle and take a look for yourself.
I can only think of one possible hub where that might be true and that's the air hub in Louisville.
There, they pay the poor hourly rate, but have tuition reimbursement and they put them up in an apartment.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
90%???
You really need to get out of your office/cubicle and take a look for yourself.
I can only think of one possible hub where that might be true and that's the air hub in Louisville.
There, they pay the poor hourly rate, but have tuition reimbursement and they put them up in an apartment.

I was in the Pdale hub and Roswell hub in the last year and they all looked under 25 to me except for a few here and there.

I know the last time I ran an operation, I had 192 people reporting to me and it was more like 95%.

I'll take your word that where you are, the average P/T union employee age is higher than 25.

hiro

I was in the Pdale hub and Roswell hub in the last year and they all looked under 25 to me except for a few here and there.

I know the last time I ran an operation, I had 192 people reporting to me and it was more like 95%.

I'll take your word that where you are, the average P/T union employee age is higher than 25.

The Hub I work in is similar. The Twi and Night sort are probably close to 90% under 25. The Day sort isn't quite that high, but most of the new hires are in that range.

working up a sweat

I work on the night sort, only 5 under 30 years old. 1 of them gave his 2 week notice today. He just got his respiratory therapist license and got a FT job 70 miles away. UPS helped pay for his education. He worked here for 6 years. I wish the best for him. I advised him to talk to management to get on the re-hire list. He did. The boss told him that he was an employee in good standing and can come back anytime in the future. I also told him to get a Teamsters withdrawal card.

I have a strong work ethic excuse me for getting pissed at a job that has **** pay and costs me 70 dollars in gas a week.I did everything I could to please that fat ******* FT Sup of mine I also have been taking care of my 73 year old grandmother for 3 years by myself who has alzhmiers disease. Dont talk to me about work
ethic. I am and will continue to do what best for me and my family.

Last edited by a moderator: