Just Quit UPS

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Well, today I just quit my Preloader job at UPS, because nobody would take the time to train or help me with my gigantic load. From the start, I have been assigned 4 cars every day. I was never shown any belt-to-car methods, and the supervisors did nothing to help. The only thing I was told, was that the truck number is on the box, and the shelf number is on the box. Everything else was up to me to make it work somehow. This location is a total wreck, and I now see why they can't keep employees. I get stuck chasing down packages, as boxes pile up outside, and inside of my trucks. Still, there is no supervisor or trainer to help. I was only working for 3 weeks and one day, and the stress and frustration of the job was too much to handle. Supervisors would get frustrated and walk away, without showing me any ways of making the job a little easier. I was really looking forward to working for UPS, and it seemed like a great job. I'm upset that nobody could take the time to train or help me.
I really wish this could have worked, and I'm really let-down by the whole experience.

Ca'mon Rub-a-dub-dub three weeks in a hub...why didn't you ask the other guys in the tub? The butcher, the baker and the candlestick-maker were all loaders before they hit it big with Mother Goose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub-a-dub-dub

BrownArmy

FracusBrown,

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Today's UPS isn't the UPS it was when you started. UPS isn't for everyone, etc. etc., that was true back in the day but it's true in a much different way now.

Thank you for your service.

surviv'n_it

Sorry the job didnt work out the way you hoped. I really do not think things will ever improve so like I tell co-workers, if you dont like the working conditions, you can quit. The job sucks big time but for what it pays I will work through it. I have 9 years left and I can retire at the age of 46, having saved half my paycheck every week since I can remember. How many other jobs can say this?

Sad but UPS doesnt care if you quit, there are always more people jumping to take your job.

dillweed

I'm sorry for your disappointment, you cannot be blamed for leaving that mess. I preloaded 10 years ago and it was hard, but nothing like it is now. As others have said, things have changed, and for the worse!

Little or no training has always been an issue. It's a hellish thing to be thrown into a new job like that with the chaos and madness that the UPS preload is made of.

Don't look back except to know you tried, gave it your best, and were wise enough to recognize it for what it is.

Best of luck in your future. You'll do great things.

HomeDelivery

i was in the same boat as the OP, so i switched companies since it takes too long to become a driver... got trained with the Smith System & is now a driver for the purple corp

menotyou

bella amicizia
Ca'mon Rub-a-dub-dub three weeks in a hub...why didn't you ask the other guys in the tub? The butcher, the baker and the candlestick-maker were all loaders before they hit it big with Mother Goose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub-a-dub-dub

Fracus,
Why don't you transfer to Black River. The managers there are looking to transfer out. Then, you could work Preload everyday, as it is now required if you want to make a number. Then, come back and tell us how easy it is, especially in the 'Black Hole' as the sups in Syracuse call it. It has nothing to do with the employees, either.

barnyard

KTM rider
No training time is allowed to achieve a production number. It's a damn shame what this company has done to my former shift. I loved my preload. 4 trucks is a vacation at my center. It has been documented by the stewards that they had 2 kids loading 13 trucks between them. B.S.!!!!

This.

I have been on TAW for a while now. Seeing what managers have to do has turned me completely off to this company. Managers are told to run their centers like their own small business, but they are then told how to run it by their district manager (including stops per car and who should be getting warning letters and production rides.)

I over-heard a conversation between a preload supe and the center manager on how the numbers would be skewed as there were 3 new preloaders starting that week. 1 of the new hires ended up scanning and applying labels for a couple of hours. 14 mis-spas that day.

UPS cannot continue to provide service to their customers and continue to provide high dividends to investors. The smartest thing UPS could do is buy itself back.

rubbadub

Preloader
Thanks to everyone. I really took pride in being a part of the "UPS Family"... I still wish I could get my job back, and have more time to get accustomed to the job, the right way. At my job, it seems the SUPS aren't just "doing things a different way", but they just seem personally too immature to be SUP's, themselves, as they get frustrated so easily, and seem to not know how to do their job without getting overwhelmed, and running away to hide. Damn, this was an awesome opportunity. I really wish I could've made it work. However the managers and SUP's are told to do things, then so be it... But the SUP's and managers at MY location just don't seem qualified for the job, and it shows every day. At first, things went great... But after the first week, I felt like I was pissing them off. They had terrible attitudes towards everything, and they'd just hide when an employee needs help with something... I mean, what else are supervisors and trainers for? I was even told that my trainer wasn't doing a very good job, and the manager told me she had her own problems with her. The management just seems too inexperienced, and not mature enough for their roles. They would rather just sit back and not have to deal with things. I mean, at first, this job was great... I was happy with a certain SUP, and the help she had given me, and I was happy with the cars I was loading at the time. I actually LOOKED FORWARD to getting up for work... But, when they started not giving a crap, I started disliking the job. It's so depressing, and I wish I could've somehow made it work. Thank you so much, everyone.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
FracusBrown,

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Today's UPS isn't the UPS it was when you started. UPS isn't for everyone, etc. etc., that was true back in the day but it's true in a much different way now.

Thank you for your service.

Fracus,
Why don't you transfer to Black River. The managers there are looking to transfer out. Then, you could work Preload everyday, as it is now required if you want to make a number. Then, come back and tell us how easy it is, especially in the 'Black Hole' as the sups in Syracuse call it. It has nothing to do with the employees, either.

It's just a silly rhyme...no offense intended.

Easy (or hard) is a relative term. Nearly everyone thinks they work harder and have a job that's more difficult than the next person. There's a lot of work that's more mentally and/or physically challenging than anything we do. There is also a lot that's easier.

rubbadub

Preloader
I thought the rhyme was quite humorous and very coincidental in this case... Kinda made me chuckle a bit. Followup, I talked with HR on the phone, and was told that in my situation, there was a lack of training involved. I shouldn't have been just stuck with 4 busy cars, with little training, and my trainer should have let me fill out my own training booklet, instead of giving me her OWN, word-for-word answers, she should have shown me the methods of belt "priorities", depending on where I was at any given point on the belt (ie: stacking packages, pushing them backward up the line), and that my SUP's should have been giving me extra attention during my shift. She admitted to these flaws, but I also stated that I was the one who became overwhelmed with the load, and lack of knowledge of what to do with the large volume of packages as they continued to come in on the belt. I may be getting a call from the district manager regarding my training, and before we ended the conversation, I told her how much I looked forward to my job, and took pride in being a UPSer. She then asked if I would ever be interested in considering UPS as my employer in the future, to which I replied "Yes, of course." ...She appreciated the fact that I contacted her regarding the issue.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I have gone though at least 8 preloaders in the since the end of May.
They lose about 4 to 7 a week in my building, the new hires about 20 at a time line up every tuesday, you can bet 19 wont last a week.

hdkappler

Well, today I just quit my Preloader job at UPS, because nobody would take the time to train or help me with my gigantic load. From the start, I have been assigned 4 cars every day. I was never shown any belt-to-car methods, and the supervisors did nothing to help. The only thing I was told, was that the truck number is on the box, and the shelf number is on the box. Everything else was up to me to make it work somehow. This location is a total wreck, and I now see why they can't keep employees. I get stuck chasing down packages, as boxes pile up outside, and inside of my trucks. Still, there is no supervisor or trainer to help. I was only working for 3 weeks and one day, and the stress and frustration of the job was too much to handle. Supervisors would get frustrated and walk away, without showing me any ways of making the job a little easier. I was really looking forward to working for UPS, and it seemed like a great job. I'm upset that nobody could take the time to train or help me.
I really wish this could have worked, and I'm really let-down by the whole experience.
real smart move.look at the money you were making.plus some of the bull **** that goes with the job.

hdkappler

If you lived here in my city, 3 weeks would be high seniority as a pre loader !
I don't blame you, because it sounds just like the center I used to work for.

Good luck, and don't worry, much better jobs out there.
better yet.everyone take a sick day all on one day duringthe week.(example)on friday.

C

chuchu

Easy (or hard) is a relative term. Nearly everyone thinks they work harder and have a job that's more difficult than the next person. There's a lot of work that's more mentally and/or physically challenging than anything we do. There is also a lot that's easier.
What has that got to do with not being trained and being held accountable?! Get a grip on reality...are you in management? Impossible is a word. It means not possible. Hypothesis also is an educated guess based on known facts and the facts are the OP wasn't trained properly to do a job that is highly scrutinized and demanding.This isn't relativity compared to OTHER jobs....it is a very hard job (if you take it seriously) that the OP was set up to fail in because the company failed to give him/her the tools to succeed. The preload sups are mandated to spend 20 minutes of every hour training and auditing new loaders for at least a week. UPS management is mentally challenged, relatively speaking, compared to people with common sense. We have a very frustrated workforce. That is why the hourly does NOT respect the management.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Preload sups are, also, suppose to spend 20min of every hour of production auditing trucks to prevent misloads. I guess writing warning gets them more recognition from corporate than sending out out misload free trucks.

NewChris

Preload sucks. I've doubled a couple times and done it. Drivers come in and start bitchin' about something that happened the day before that I had nothing to do with. I was kind of thrown in the fire as well. Trying to organize 4 package cars while I was just getting the hang of it, sucked. Not sure I'm ever going to do it again.

thanks for the warning. was looking for a reason to double on twilight and not sunrise!!

klein

Für Meno :)
another way to exit your job :

TODAY - Tuesday, October 18, 2011

resigmetrolarge.jpg

Hotel worker resigns in memorable style

Joey's way of quitting his position after four years leaves the Web enthralled, and his ex-boss fuming. What he did

moreluck

golden ticket member
......"A worker at a Providence, RI hotel named Joey...."

This guy must be a great writer....................Is the worker named Joey or is the hotel named Joey ?? See what I mean?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
nope,, cant be true, IE says because of pas and the pal labels a monkey can do this job and load 10 trucks,, we have spent the money so you had better produce!!!! its good you got out, its a miserable place to work now