Just when I thought UPS couldn't screw us any worse... Addison, IL Hub closing for 2 years.

fres431

I know they shut down San Bruno made it auto scanners and auto sort. I was told by management that oak is on schedule for 2015. Not sure which Is bigger San Bruno or Oakland but Bruno dropped for construction in feb and just reopened. I think your in NorCal supplemental I believe they have to notify union certain amount of days prior to shutting down for construction. You should be offered temporary transfer work at north bay or Bruno while construction. Auto scan auto sorts are getting done in bigger hubs 1st then working down, mine area is scheduled for auto scanner late 15 or 16

fres431

Air hydraulic bumpers tied to the auto scanner 1st box gets kicked to green belt as the box approaches green belt air bumper kicks box off..bigger hubs use them otherwise they would destroy shoulders

Chemo

I'm not gonna read all 142 posts, but may I suggest you get a few guys to carpool with. When I was part time for 5 years, we had a group of 5 that each drove to work one day a week. Our hub was 30 miles away

I know they shut down San B made it auto scanners and auto sort. I was told by management that oak is on schedule for 2015. Not sure which Is bigger San B or Oakland but B dropped for construction in feb and just reopened. I think your in NorCal supplemental I believe they have to notify union certain amount of days prior to shutting down for construction. You should be offered temporary transfer work at north bay or B while construction. Auto scan auto sorts are getting done in bigger hubs 1st then working down, mine area is scheduled for auto scanner late 15 or 16
As of right now San Bruno and Oakland are not automated with only rumors on when it will happen. SF may be looking to build a new hub

North Bay is not working like they hoped. Mgmt told us last week it only running at 20%. The rumor is it seems to be a problem with the scanners reading bad labels and tripping a overload switch to shut every thing down.All of the local buildings are picking up the volume they can not process. Union said they might shut back down after peak to fix the problems.
All mention of North Bay auto system has been removed from upers.com.

Anybody else hear any thing else on north bay?

AnonyMusser

These automated sorters are likely to be a craptastrophe. Our newish extendos in Addison in the primary unloads haven't been able to read bags correctly since we got them.

1000RR

It is my understanding, at least in the Central, if your hub/center closes down and you choose to follow your work then you DOVETAIL into the seniority list at the new center or hub.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Look at it this way.UPS is going to spend millions to upgrade your facility (meaning jobs would be fairly secure there in the future).
Erm, no. When the facility re-opens the sort aisle will be automated so those positions will be gone, resulting in the need for fewer inside people.

By The Book

As of right now San B and Oakland are not automated with only rumors on when it will happen. SF may be looking to build a new hub

North Bay is not working like they hoped. Mgmt told us last week it only running at 20%. The rumor is it seems to be a problem with the scanners reading bad labels and tripping a overload switch to shut every thing down.All of the local buildings are picking up the volume they can not process. Union said they might shut back down after peak to fix the problems.

North bay is automated,but not running at full capacity. More like one third capacity. Volume shifts were crazy around peak to Bruno, Oakland , Sac. North bay was to triple production being automated and having 50 percent less volume to process now it is closer to being able to keep up. I haven't heard if north bay will close to work out the bugs or not. I say build another hub in the areas that are growing like crazy. Then hire employees......our company makes profit this way now....no need to reinvent the wheel.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Unless you get a steward to back you on that they just say "No, sorry, seniority is in your area only."
Our Principal Officer specifically explained that; since we don't have hub seniority lists, let alone a master (Local wide) seniority list, the company couldn't start moving the members around on that basis alone.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
As of right now San B and Oakland are not automated with only rumors on when it will happen. SF may be looking to build a new hub

If anybody remembers, years ago when the multibillion dollar super automated air hub Worldport opened, it missorted a quarter of a million packages on its first night. So much for automation.

foundinload

new equipment, same humans. hardly surprising.

AnonyMusser

I'm staying as well. It seems some senior employees who got moved will be able to fight. Not many getting moved at all. Mostly kids under 3 years. I think management tried to put a bigger scare on people at the tail end of peak.