Keys/Strategies to surviving as a PT Sup?

stlUPGFer

Be true to yourself. Respect your employees. Treat them as you would want to be treated. I always love watching the other part time sup on my shift scream and yell and never hit his numbers while I talk to my guys like men and hit them all the time. Dont be one of the managers that gives us all a bad name.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Learn quick you aren't going to please everybody. You have to figure out how to find a balance. There are Sups that want their employees to love them, then production suffers and their managers don't like them. Then there are others who don't care what their employees think, only what management thinks. And you want to know what the difference is? There is none, production still suffers.

Don't forget though you live and die by your employees. You usually have such tight numbers that you need everybody to be 100% on their game, so you can make it. I treat my employees with respect and try to make the atmosphere light. We have a serious job that needs to get done. But there is no reason we can't all be happy while doing it. One thing people don't do too is recognize their people for doing a good job. I make sure people know they did well. It helps boost morale. Also find some metric you're hurting on as a group and get some type of reward for reaching a benchmark. I do pizza for 0 LIBs. Little stuff like that adds up. My guys are loyal to me, and I am loyal to them. I had a PT Sup cover for me a couple weeks ago and I guess she was talking some crap. My guys all set her straight. I got a good laugh out of that one.

UPSmechanicinblue

Learn quick you aren't going to please everybody. You have to figure out how to find a balance. There are Sups that want their employees to love them, then production suffers and their managers don't like them. Then there are others who don't care what their employees think, only what management thinks. And you want to know what the difference is? There is none, production still suffers.

Don't forget though you live and die by your employees. You usually have such tight numbers that you need everybody to be 100% on their game, so you can make it. I treat my employees with respect and try to make the atmosphere light. We have a serious job that needs to get done. But there is no reason we can't all be happy while doing it. One thing people don't do too is recognize their people for doing a good job. I make sure people know they did well. It helps boost morale. Also find some metric you're hurting on as a group and get some type of reward for reaching a benchmark. I do pizza for 0 LIBs. Little stuff like that adds up. My guys are loyal to me, and I am loyal to them. I had a PT Sup cover for me a couple weeks ago and I guess she was talking some crap. My guys all set her straight. I got a good laugh out of that one.

Very well said!!! We could use more like you at our center. Just a simple Thank You and or pizza goes along way.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Very well said!!! We could use more like you at our center. Just a simple Thank You and or pizza goes along way.
It really does. It's not rocket science to make people happy. Work doesn't have to be a playhouse. But there's no reason you can't enjoy the people you're surrounded by.

UPSmechanicinblue

It really does. It's not rocket science to make people happy. Work doesn't have to be a playhouse. But there's no reason you can't enjoy the people you're surrounded by.

It makes a huge difference when your employees are happy and everyone can actually enjoy coming to work or at least not regret having to show up, Ive seen this in the past, everyone will group together to get the job done, help out other departments. Everyone talking and joking with on another.All will go the extra mile just to help out the other. Now times are changing to where your just worked like a machine, only the things done wrong or numbers not being met are discussed. People get divided, start to degrade the other and blame them why standards are no longer met. I see this with the around my building in all work groups.

DriverMD

While this is still kind of active, can someone explain the new mre/mapp process? Is it something to study for? And if so, what should I be ready to answer?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

While this is still kind of active, can someone explain the new mre/mapp process? Is it something to study for? And if so, what should I be ready to answer?
There's nothing to study for. You are asked some basic scenario and math questions. I was also interviewed by my DM but I don't know if that is standard.

DriverMD

Ok so its like "If Joe calls out on monday and doesn't show up Tuesday you will likely...." And in terms of math its just like basic stuff? Like not calculus im assuming?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Ok so its like "If Joe calls out on monday and doesn't show up Tuesday you will likely...." And in terms of math its just like basic stuff? Like not calculus im assuming?
Kinda. There's some accounting on there too.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Don't bug out over it. It isn't that difficult and you don't get a direct score. It just gives an indication of your personality and some intelligence. It's not like you finish and it's like hey you got a 19 out of 50!