Labor shortage concern at Fedex

!Retired!

Over a decade. But the break and ridiculous amount of work would have kept me out there longer so eff it.
If you don't take a break and have an accident, a warning letter will be the least of your worries.
We were told 1 hour breaks coming back first of August. It's been at least a year and a half since we had to do the full hour. Oh well, more hours for me since i will probably have to break off for 1630s.
All depends on your state laws. They tried making us take hour breaks, until I asked the DM at a meeting a few years back and was told we only needed to take 30 minutes.
Pay more, including benefits, and the highly qualified will come... Works every time.
Not in this economy. Thank you Basement Biden.
I don’t think this company can afford to wait until August or September to announce this raise.
The longer they wait, the worse it'll be. If it's a good raise, it'll be on Frontline. If it's a bad raise. your manager will let you know.

Last edited:

zeev

Express still has Ground and Amazon so there are still more couriers to use as cannon fodder . With RTD I expect them to keep using contractors till the topped out drivers leave than they will have a low pay inexperienced workforce.

Aquaman

Express still has Ground and Amazon so there are still more couriers to use as cannon fodder . With RTD I expect them to keep using contractors till the topped out drivers leave than they will have a low pay inexperienced workforce.
Problem is nobody is taking the RTD jobs.

bacha29

You guys want to know what the problem is? Well, here it is: According to the Economic Policy Institute during the period between 1979 and 2019 wages for bottom echelon blue collar workers adjusted for inflation only rose by 3.3%. While wages for the top 5% of the work force adjusted for inflation rose 62.3%.. Obviously the money was all going to the top while next to nothing was getting down to the people who actually performed the physical tasks required in order to produce the product and or service and make it available for sale to the public.

No better example of it than Fat Freddy's cobbled together trucking company which like his competitors needs an ocean of cheap labor in order to make his services economically viable. And as long as he had an ocean full of the cheap stuff things went smoothly But, now that the ocean is drying up and fish that remain gets more expensive every day to catch then from our vantage point all we can do is wait and see what happens.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You guys want to know what the problem is? Well, here it is: According to the Economic Policy Institute during the period between 1979 and 2019 wages for bottom echelon blue collar workers adjusted for inflation only rose by 3.3%. While wages for the top 5% of the work force adjusted for inflation rose 62.3%.. Obviously the money was all going to the top while next to nothing was getting down to the people who actually performed the physical tasks required in order to produce the product and or service and make it available for sale to the public.

No better example of it than Fat Freddy's cobbled together trucking company which like his competitors needs an ocean of cheap labor in order to make his services economically viable. And as long as he had an ocean full of the cheap stuff things went smoothly But, now that the ocean is drying up and fish that remain gets more expensive every day to catch then from our vantage point all we can do is wait and see what happens.
Here's hoping Fat Freddy ends up eating crow before he kicks the bucket.

FedexCares

I’m surprised the top % of earners didn’t increase even more, 62% seems kind of low.

it’s no coincidence over the same period of time you listed is when the systematic destruction of the unions took place that really kicked into high gear with the Reagan administration.

Whether you are a fan of unions or not, many many jobs in this country used to employ a union workforce in which wages were generally fair.

Now politicians have actually demonized unions so much that the very people they would help immensely are the ones who are screaming “unions suck” and complain about monthly dues. All the while the top executives laugh all the way to the bank.

falcon back

I’m surprised the top % of earners didn’t increase even more, 62% seems kind of low.

it’s no coincidence over the same period of time you listed is when the systematic destruction of the unions took place that really kicked into high gear with the Reagan administration.

Whether you are a fan of unions or not, many many jobs in this country used to employ a union workforce in which wages were generally fair.

Now politicians have actually demonized unions so much that the very people they would help immensely are the ones who are screaming “unions suck” and complain about monthly dues. All the while the top executives laugh all the way to the bank.
You cant pay any attention to what he says. His numbers are usually incorrect. You better do your own research

yadig

So true

bacha29

Any union at this point! UAW would be ok, idc. Heck, the threat would be better!
When the courts in many states allowed public sector employees to join unions the pickings for unions was cheap and easy. They had the courts on their side and state and local governments had near zero countermeasures at it's disposal. In turn the unions got fat on it . As a result today they are very apprehensive about going out into the privates sector and slug it out on the streets. If the people inside that plant did all of the dirty work and dealt with the wrath and reprisals of the employer and got everything set up for the union to come in then that's ok with them. But, after Amazon prevailed in efforts to unionize and Rich Trumpka dying the other day expect very little support from the AFLCIO going forward.