Laid off for seasonal already?

Jaffem

I got hired on as a seasonal driver about a month ago. Went through the first week of class fine. Once I was done with my week of class they had me call in everyday to see if I needed to come in. I did only 2 days of driving with my on road supervisor and then a whole week of not coming in. My supervisor called me and told me that they didn't think they would be busy enough to keep me on the whole season and then told me I was released. Is this something that happens to seasonal drivers this early? My supervisor told me I was doing a really good job, learning fast, ect... but I'm wondering if he was just trying to be nice, ha. He told me that I wasn't the only one that they had to let go that day. Anyways, just wondering if this is unheard of or something that happens every year do to over hiring to make sure they have enough drivers for peak season.

Dritalin

Are you sure he didn't just mean laid off for the day? That's a term we use around here.

And yes, UPS will take care of themselves before you, especially if you're a temp that isn't really union protected.

Kunta k.

Sit tight. Volume is light this time of year, annually. 2 days worked? When they do call you( my guess would be the week of thanksgiving if not black Friday) be prepared for the worst truck in the yard filled by a newly hired preloader.
Point is, plan on no check from UPS until Dec. Max out your DOT hours each week to make up for the month of November. Work Safe and follow the methods.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
yourefired.jpg

Jaffem

Are you sure he didn't just mean laid off for the day? That's a term we use around here.

And yes, UPS will take care of themselves before you, especially if you're a temp that isn't really union protected.
Nope he meant for the whole season. I had to go turn in my uniforms and pick up my last check. I worked more than two days, but only did two days with a supervisor. The rest of the time I was just riding with a driver who’s business route I’d be taking over.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Maybe you can take our FT sup with you, she just quit yesterday. She turned in her two weeks and they walked her out 2hrs later. That makes 8 FT sups alone from our building this year that have quit, not including those terminated.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
My supervisor called me and told me that they didn't think they would be busy enough to keep me on the whole season and then told me I was released. My supervisor told me I was doing a really good job, learning fast, ect... but I'm wondering if he was just trying to be nice, ha.

You must have really sucked. He was being really nice. Be thankful you got out before they promoted you to part time supe. Enjoy your holidays and don't look back!

Bonbon

Well behaved women rarely make history
I got hired on as a seasonal driver about a month ago. Went through the first week of class fine. Once I was done with my week of class they had me call in everyday to see if I needed to come in. I did only 2 days of driving with my on road supervisor and then a whole week of not coming in. My supervisor called me and told me that they didn't think they would be busy enough to keep me on the whole season and then told me I was released. Is this something that happens to seasonal drivers this early? My supervisor told me I was doing a really good job, learning fast, ect... but I'm wondering if he was just trying to be nice, ha. He told me that I wasn't the only one that they had to let go that day. Anyways, just wondering if this is unheard of or something that happens every year do to over hiring to make sure they have enough drivers for peak season.
Consider yourself lucky that they were honest and gave it to you straight. So many people get false promises and are strung along.