Laid off from driving

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Thankfully I only had to do a week. But according to my steward if your a ft driver you get ft driver pay for whatever you do.
A driver working inside gets inside rate after working inside for 7 working days.

Happened to me, 10 other guys I got laid off with, the guy who was inside for a year while his liscense was suspended, and the two laid off feeder drivers we have now. Although as long as the feeder guys have been here their pay only dropped 2 bucks

anthonyb1203

I don't see anything wrong with his advice.

It seems the laid off Full timer "chose" to bump two part time shifts. Could he not have chosen to take a layoff and wait for a call if a route came open? Choices have to be made. He did have a choice, didn't he?
No. They said "your off the road. There is no routes for you. So you have to work at least one shift if you want a job"

anthonyb1203

+1

The sups in my center were making about 20-30 phone calls EVERY MONDAY MORNING from the top of the seniority list down until we found enough people to take off. They made 15-20 calls the every day for the rest of the week. The bottom 20% hardly ever got any time off offered unless they called in and used sick days.
My old sup did that. Got me work minimum 4 days a week. New sup is doing nothing to help me out

CHALLY9TX

Yeah I should say that. Filed two so far, and they say even if I send them in, they will get denied because of my 10 hour rule. Still worth a shot.

If your stewards told you that then they suck. 10 hour rule shouldn't matter. If drivers with less seniority than you are working then that should be an easy win for you on the grievance.

anthonyb1203

If your stewards told you that then they suck. 10 hour rule shouldn't matter. If drivers with less seniority than you are working then that should be an easy win for you on the grievance.
I hear ya. Well We sent it in, so we will see what they say when it comes back. If it's denied I'll just appeal it or whatever and have them do it again.

Overpaid Union Thug

So I've been laid off from driving a full route. Now in order to get my 8 hour guarantee I have to work preload and reload which is, whatever, but my driver pay has dropped back down to my old preload rate, AND, because I don't have 10 hours off between the reload shift and preload shift, other cover drivers are driving and I can't do anything about it because of the 10 hour off rule. Anyway around this or has anyone else been dealing with this? Only thing I can think of to do, is work a quarter of my reload shift to get 10 hours off between shifts so I can POSSIBLY drive, unless they cut a route.. And of course the 2 new managers at the center and the main manager we have doesn't seem to want to help me keep my driver pay rate by giving me 1 day a week every 7 days. Great company.... Any thoughts?

Were you ever topped out as an air driver? The reason I ask is because it might help. In these situations one would think that a laid off full-time driver could work preload and bump a part-time air driver afterwards to get 8 hours. Or close to it. Or bump a PM Air Driver. I've never seen that done but if possible the laid off driver would at least get topped out air driver pay (unless the 7 day pay cut rule had already reset, in which case you'd be at full-time driver pay again) for all hours on road instead of hub/building pay. I don't have my contract handy at the moment but I don't remember it specifically stating that we couldn't bump air drivers and were limited to only bumping inside. It might hint at that though. I might go dig it out and read it now because I'm getting curious.