Laid off from driving

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
If your stewards told you that then they suck. 10 hour rule shouldn't matter. If drivers with less seniority than you are working then that should be an easy win for you on the grievance.
Not necessarily, a lot of centers make you declare yourself for the week , if he or she declares preload ,reload , and others do not, they are able to drive first, regardless of senority

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Not necessarily, a lot of centers make you declare yourself for the week , if he or she declares preload ,reload , and others do not, they are able to drive first.

I don't doubt that thy do that but that's crazy.

They asked us so they could staff properly but if it looked like I could drive Thursday then Wednesday night reload was SOL

anthonyb1203

Were you ever topped out as an air driver? The reason I ask is because it might help. In these situations one would think that a laid off full-time driver could work preload and bump a part-time air driver afterwards to get 8 hours. Or close to it. Or bump a PM Air Driver. I've never seen that done but if possible the laid off driver would at least get topped out air driver pay (unless the 7 day pay cut rule had already reset, in which case you'd be at full-time driver pay again) for all hours on road instead of hub/building pay.
Well I start my preload shift right now at 520am. We finish about 920am. And then I go to reload at 6pm. So I don't have 10 hours off between shifts to drive the air shuttle or whatever (only on Mondays I'm able to do this) but they let drivers with more seniority do that on Mondays. Now if they find missing air I can tAke that (hours pending) but they scramble for drivers with more seniority to take it and they do. But that does reset my time for my driver rate. I've done that a few times within the last 5-6 weeks. Good idea tho thanks.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Were you ever topped out as an air driver? The reason I ask is because it might help. In these situations one would think that a laid off full-time driver could work preload and bump a part-time air driver afterwards to get 8 hours. Or close to it. Or bump a PM Air Driver. I've never seen that done but if possible the laid off driver would at least get topped out air driver pay (unless the 7 day pay cut rule had already reset, in which case you'd be at full-time driver pay again) for all hours on road instead of hub/building pay. I don't have my contract handy at the moment but I don't remember it specifically stating that we couldn't bump air drivers and were limited to only bumping inside. It might hint at that though. I might go dig it out and read it now because I'm getting curious.
Right it wrong they'd wouldn't let us drive over reg air drivers.

We had a problem once that they had reg air drivers supplementing out 22.3 eam drivers. We filed and the decision came back that the eams were FT work but 1030 air were not.

box_beeyotch

Your a full time driver. Not a part time double shifter. Declare yourself a driver, quit worrying about knowing where your going and get out there and do it. Too many excuses in my opinion. If you really wanted to drive everyday, you would, period.

PhatAzz

So you have to work at least one shift if you want a job"
But you are working TWO shifts and because of that, you are not getting the 10 hours off required that would allow you to drive. Have you signed anything? Like a Weekly unassigned bid, or a letter stating you wanted to displace two junior part time positions? If you have to do it for a whole week at a time then you have to stick to it all week. If we are allowing TCD's to work while Full Time seniority drivers are displacing two part timers, then it would seem that you probably have a grievance. You may need to go over the steward's head and get straight to the Local's Business Agent for a solution.

PT Car Washer

Right it wrong they'd wouldn't let us drive over reg air drivers.

We had a problem once that they had reg air drivers supplementing out 22.3 eam drivers. We filed and the decision came back that the eams were FT work but 1030 air were not.
Laid off FT package car drivers displace the least seniority PTer on two sorts provided they have more company seniority. You don't pick and choose which jobs you want to do.

BrownTexas

Yeah I should say that. Filed two so far, and they say even if I send them in, they will get denied because of my 10 hour rule. Still worth a shot.
The 10 hour rule isn't your fault. It is the companies. Your grievances will be fine. Keep track of your hours. Anytime a lesser seniority driver drives and you file, it will do 2 things.

1.) reset your pay to driver rate for 7 more days of inside building.
2.) pay you for any hours worked in excess by the lower seniority driver.

I honestly would work preload, and if another driver drives, not work my second shift as your grievance would pay you for his hours worked.

Then you would be eligible to drive the next day also.

BrownTexas

Were you ever topped out as an air driver? The reason I ask is because it might help. In these situations one would think that a laid off full-time driver could work preload and bump a part-time air driver afterwards to get 8 hours. Or close to it. Or bump a PM Air Driver. I've never seen that done but if possible the laid off driver would at least get topped out air driver pay (unless the 7 day pay cut rule had already reset, in which case you'd be at full-time driver pay again) for all hours on road instead of hub/building pay. I don't have my contract handy at the moment but I don't remember it specifically stating that we couldn't bump air drivers and were limited to only bumping inside. It might hint at that though. I might go dig it out and read it now because I'm getting curious.
If he drives, am air or pm air, he will get his driver pay. In this instance driving is driving. Air or ground wouldn't matter. Only to a part timer would a different pay scale be involved.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Laid off FT package car drivers displace the least seniority PTer on two sorts provided they have more company seniority. You don't pick and choose which jobs you want to do.

It may just be my supplement but yes you do provided a)you are already qualified to do the job or b)can pass a test proving you can do the job.

You say "I pick Shelly in data acq on preload an joey exception clerking on reload"

Shelly and Joey then find lower seniority people to bump so on and so forth until the lowest seniority employee on that shift goes home

PT Car Washer

If he drives, am air or pm air, he will get his driver pay. In this instance driving is driving. Air or ground wouldn't matter. Only to a part timer would a different pay scale be involved.
I agree he should get his starting driver rate. Unfortunately that would be $9.00/hr less then PT Air rate.

PT Car Washer

It may just be my supplement but yes you do provided a)you are already qualified to do the job or b)can pass a test proving you can do the job.

You say "I pick Shelly in data acq on preload an joey exception clerking on reload"

Shelly and Joey then find lower seniority people to bump so on and so forth until the lowest seniority employee on that shift goes home
You bump the lowest PT loader or unloader on the sort provided you are good enough. Then management puts you baging smalls with the old ladies.