Laid off from driving

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Not in the Central Region. You displace the least seniority PTer provided you have more company time. Unless you are a lap dog.
Wouldn't you, almost by default, have more seniority then 90% of a part time shift having won a ft bid?

Here's one for you that we struggled with.

FT laid off employee is guaranteed 8 hours. Outside hire, has zero building seniority. But he's still guaranteed work.

How?

PT Car Washer

Wouldn't you, almost by default, have more seniority then 90% of a part time shift having won a ft bid?

Here's one for you that we struggled with.

FT laid off employee is guaranteed 8 hours. Outside hire, has zero building seniority. But he's still guaranteed work.

How?
We have PT with 5 and 20 years seniority. I have 37 years and I am not top dog in my building. All of our laid off drivers have less then a year in and have been laid off for the last 5 months. Most are finally going back to work. I told some they will think of this as the good old days in another five years. I also work in a small hub. That may be the difference. Some of us are just fine working a PT job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My old sup did that. Got me work minimum 4 days a week. New sup is doing nothing to help me out

Perhaps you should try to help yourself. Get the cell phone numbers of the senior guys who you know like to take time off. Text them to see if they would be willing to take the day off so that you can work. As a last resort you can show up in your browns ready to go-----someone will see you and will be more than willing to take the day off.

"Ask not what your sup can do for you, ask what you can do for yourself."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I honestly would work preload, and if another driver drives, not work my second shift as your grievance would pay you for his hours worked.

Sounds nice but how is he going to pay his bills or put food on his table if he is not getting his 8 hours? He would not be eligible for unemployment as he is declining offered work and the grievances will take some time to be resolved.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
OP, Hang in there. Drivers drop like flies getting hurt or leaving for some reason or another.

BrownTexas

Sounds nice but how is he going to pay his bills or put food on his table if he is not getting his 8 hours? He would not be eligible for unemployment as he is declining offered work and the grievances will take some time to be resolved.
True. Especially if his local takes a long time to hear grievances.

Returntosender

This is definitely not the case in my center. The vast majority work their 30 years relatively injury free.
Screenshot_2015-05-29-09-11-51-1_zpsqjnlzvsd.png

Bitcoinz

They wanted my "Avatar" pic.
I just read the first page and skipped to last :D.

Anyways, I'm a new driver as well somewhere in the California region, and I'm on layoff too.

I find just working preload opens up a lot of driving opportunity. I say that because you only work 4 hours a day, and it leaves you open to drive if they need you.. PLUS you have to be off in 14 hours, so they can only stick you with a 10hr day.

Lots of drivers are starting to take vacation and they need us newbies again! To arms!

anthonyb1203

I just read the first page and skipped to last :D.

Anyways, I'm a new driver as well somewhere in the California region, and I'm on layoff too.

I find just working preload opens up a lot of driving opportunity. I say that because you only work 4 hours a day, and it leaves you open to drive if they need you.. PLUS you have to be off in 14 hours, so they can only stick you with a 10hr day.

Lots of drivers are starting to take vacation and they need us newbies again! To arms!

I hear ya on only working preload but I can't survive off 20 hours a week at the inside rate. And my center is small so there isn't too much driving going on for me right now. I did drive this past Friday though, so that helps out. Hopefully some of these drivers start calling out soon.

box_beeyotch

Not sure why everyone thinks you dont get driver rate for working inside hub on layoff. Atleast here, you are paid driver rate. The 5 who have been laid off since Xmas get their driver rate and continue progression.

anthonyb1203

Not sure why everyone thinks you dont get driver rate for working inside hub on layoff. Atleast here, you are paid driver rate. The 5 who have been laid off since Xmas get their driver rate and continue progression.
You only get driver pay rate for 7 days after your last day of driving. Their inside rate might just be really high, or management is letting them deliver an air package or ground package, without having a full day. You don't keep driver pay rate once you go on split shifts after 7 days. If they're keeping their driver pay rate, then there is an error somewhere, but good for them lol.