Late to work and allowed to bump!

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
I'm currently back in the hub until I'm called to Cover Drive again.

I learned the reads, passed the test and picked off the HVO before I went driving. I also know the LVO.

A guy in my PD is constantly late to work. He does have higher seniority than I do, but he's constantly late to work and bumps me off the pick! Today he was a full hour late past the start time. He grabbed a scanner, climbed the ladder and handed it to me.

Needless to say I was a bit fumed about it and I wanted to say something but I'm not "that guy". How should I go about this?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
In my area, a late employee forfeits their guarantee and the right to work their preferred job (including pick off) if they're late.

But every building is different. Does the other pickoff have a staggered start time?

TheMasochist

No. There's two pickoffs before me in seniority. (Damn I can't wait to get back to driving).. Anyways... No. And what am I supposed to say? While I was up top on the H and belt wide I was able to hear the Floor Sup say "send him home when he comes in". I knew who he was taking about but my PD Sup sent him up with the scanner! Man we all do this work! It's a team thing and I get it, but damn! I'm torn because he's actually a really cool ass fkr to be around! I can't say he's a friend but ...I think you know what I mean and I just don't wanna be "that guy"!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
You should of started fighting him to the death up on the pick. Whomever falls off is the loser for the day.

TheMasochist

LMAO @ the last two answers! That's exactly what I would expect from the man :censored2:s that work here! I'm trying to find a humane answer and I get what would be considered that of a baboon!!

Faceplanted

LMAO @ the last two answers! That's exactly what I would expect from the man :censored2:s that work here! I'm trying to find a humane answer and I get what would be considered that of a baboon!!
It's literally none of your business. Your crew of guys doesn't even look at you as part of the crew now because of your cover driver status. If you want to grieve the 3-4 dollars a day (I got my pick off raise once I passed the test... Didn't even matter if I was picking off) than do that.

TheMasochist

It's not a matter of the raise! Wow!! Oh...so because I'm a Cover Driver that means they can all be late and bump me?

Faceplanted

It's not a matter of the raise! Wow!! Oh...so because I'm a Cover Driver that means they can all be late and bump me?
You probably are also a subpar pick off compared to late guy.... And are you exactly sure of his start time or any prior arrangements he may or may not have with his management team? We have guys at my hub that very senior and may have another job or things to do a few days a week that would not allow them to start if there was an earlier than usual start. Management worked with them, they stayed later and came in a bit after start.

If you aren't than... Work as instructed and load those feeders

Because your a cover driver they don't even know your status on a daily basis. your as undependable as the late guy because your center manager and sups probably don't even communicate to your part time sup if they should expect you or not

browntroll

my hub theres a few guys with staggered start times. if you are late u forfeit guaranteed hours and any seniority position u might have.
from what i read any air drivers not sure if it applies to cover drivers are supposed to be treated like they have no seniority and can
be moved to any area, most of our cover drivers get sent to unload the few exceptions you guessed it shop stewards.

TheMasochist

Thanks for the input. I never thought to look at it that way. I'm just not a dick (d word) and don't want to be one. It makes sense now because I'm a CD.

Notcool

Seniority trumps all at the end of the day. plus who management likes. You can fight it but it wouldn't be worth it. He might have something worked out with the sup to come in later due to another job. Many do that here. I would refuse to pick off if I was you because you will get bumped anyway tell them to put someone else up. They do me opposite I'll load for an hour then the dude picking off want to go home everyday. I say I don't want to and put someone else. Depending on which belt picking off can be worse than loading. No thanks

Last edited:
The second you arrive late you forfeit your guaranteed hours, basically he can tell the the guy that its too bad, he better put that scanner on himself. Take it up with you sup. If nothing happens, get your steward involved.