Latest news calls to reject contract...

HBGPreloader

As a part-timer with many questions, I attended the local's Q & A. And, after the nearly 3 hour meeting, I still have several questions that, according to the local reps, can not be answered until, likely, long after the ballots have been counted.

Sadly, many of the questions asked by the members were answered with statements that included words like "should", "maybe", and "intent". But, as contracts go, words like that mean nothing.

I'm still fairly new to this and I tried to keep an open mind. But, how can anyone really support a contract with several important issues left unanswered?

Beyond that, the biggest thing I got out of the meeting is that this contract is essentially nothing more than a central states fund bailout by part-time employees.

kingOFchester

Yes I know exactly what it is. But a statement like that eludes that some may think it can ALL be diverted which isn't true.
s

Lets not forget that the level of benefits can be changed. We could see less coverage. We could see higher co-pays. We could see higher deductibles.

To be fair, if the fund is over funded, we could see more coverage. Lower co-pays. Lower deductibles. But my guess is that will not happen.

So yes, maybe they can't take all of our raises, but they could take some and lessen the benefits.

I can't see how anyone can say this is a good contract. One could argue this is the best possible contract that UPS is willing to sign or that it is the best contract for the health of UPS and the union. But it is NOT a good contract. For those running around and praising it and stating how wonderful it is is ludicrous. I would have more respect for those who are happy with it, if they would say something along the lines of "due to the uncertain economical climate, UPS's financial outlook, the concessions are needed and there fore I support the TA". But to go around and act as this is the greatest contract is a bunch of hog wash. Full of concessions.

stink219

GIVE ME SOME DETAILS, one by one that supports your position on this contract.

TOS
You think I'd waste a Saturday doing that? If you can't see the improvements in this contract, I don't think there is any contract you would like. Free healthcare and 100k a year? Enough said!

#1 People hate change. Beyond that, it's now 2013 not 1952. I think this contract gives a great deal of positives for all employees involved. Even the TDU guys in my building support the TA (surprisingly). I can understand people's health care concerns, but there is limited information on the exact plan of the 93 possible that will be implemented. In our local people were ready to kill because we were switching from Blue Cross to United. We heard everything just like is being posted on BC. "Its a crappy plan". "We are getting friend*cked!" Not only is our United plan better than our old Blue Cross, but our local saved $5 million. I'm actually more curious of the people thinking "we got screwed", what a good contract would look like? And do they understand the financial effect on the company? I've addressed numerous times as to why we need and require vague language in a contract. Vague language protects us from a standard without deviation. I can go on and on. I and my other stewards have already implemented a 9.5 structure to address ALL new drivers. YES, ALL full time drivers (regardless of progression) can have relieve in some way.
I don't have that much time to go over every change but, I like the contract. We here a lot of negativity on this site. Complainers gripe. People that like this deal won't go on here and post. It's just like work at UPS. How many customer complaints are in our system vs. customer compliments? Does it mean UPS sucks? Apparently that's not the case based on profitability.
I'll tell you what a good contract is. First off Hall had the company by the balls when they said they didn't want to have company plans. Everyone knew we where going into a teamster ran plan, even Hall. When central states was whispering in his ear, he should have kept his cool and told the central states boy to be patient. He also should have made the company sweet a little and then asked more like getting us at $5 for five years. The company does not want their name on these plans. They would pay us $5 for five years. anyone that Doesn't see that is smoking something.

kingOFchester

You think I'd waste a Saturday doing that? If you can't see the improvements in this contract, I don't think there is any contract you would like. Free healthcare and 100k a year? Enough said!

Stink,

TOS asked that you show details that support your position. Instead of giving details and try to validate your stance, you say you don't want to waste a Saturday. Sad that a brother wouldn't want to educate all the great details in the contract that you support.

BTW, waste???

Here are all of your posts from today. I guess they weren't wasted comments. Discussing the actual details of the contract is wasting your Saturday when you could be posting all of the following posts:

stink said:
1) Um, hi dope. I'm not in local 25. Im from local 251 in RI. I had to call Sean first to make sure it was ok. Which it is. So I will see you there. My meeting is on Sunday anyway
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/local-25-ta-meeting-350198/index2.html#ixzz2Tg87EVsL

2)Teamcare will not be discussed much because it doesn't pertain to us.
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/local-25-ta-meeting-350198/index2.html#ixzz2Tg7zS300

3)As you are in mine. 10am on Sunday. All the UPSers will stay and have a private meeting after our monthly. Let me know if your available. PM me.
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/local-25-ta-meeting-350198/index2.html#ixzz2Tg8DbCLY

4)As are you my friend!
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/local-25-ta-meeting-350198/index2.html#ixzz2Tg8DbCLY

Hahahahahaha!!!! Lmfao!!!!!
Which ones did he negotiate?
Hahaha!!!
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/latest-news-calls-reject-contract-350229/#ixzz2Tg8ef6kY

5) #1 People hate change. Beyond that, it's now 2013 not 1952. I think this contract gives a great deal of positives for all employees involved. Even the TDU guys in my building support the TA (surprisingly). I can understand people's health care concerns, but there is limited information on the exact plan of the 93 possible that will be implemented. In our local people were ready to kill because we were switching from Blue Cross to United. We heard everything just like is being posted on BC. "Its a crappy plan". "We are getting friend*cked!" Not only is our United plan better than our old Blue Cross, but our local saved $5 million. I'm actually more curious of the people thinking "we got screwed", what a good contract would look like? And do they understand the financial effect on the company? I've addressed numerous times as to why we need and require vague language in a contract. Vague language protects us from a standard without deviation. I can go on and on. I and my other stewards have already implemented a 9.5 structure to address ALL new drivers. YES, ALL full time drivers (regardless of progression) can have relieve in some way.
I don't have that much time to go over every change but, I like the contract. We here a lot of negativity on this site. Complainers gripe. People that like this deal won't go on here and post. It's just like work at UPS. How many customer complaints are in our system vs. customer compliments? Does it mean UPS sucks? Apparently that's not the case based on profitability.
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/latest-news-calls-reject-contract-350229/#ixzz2Tg8k3SpB

6)So THIS contract is worse than last contract? Or is this your first contract?
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/...-your-future-350225/index3.html#ixzz2Tg8qYiwa

7)Can you tell me what driver works40 hours only? Can you also include pension, health and welfare contributions in your calculation? Also, maybe include fuel and maintenance on vehicles too. Some people see what they want to see.
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/tentative-agreement-349735/index80.html#ixzz2Tg8vXK1x

8)Each member receives 1 (one) vote. They are equal for everyone. The locals don't matter, it's the members.
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/local-384-recommends-sending-back-no-350235/#ixzz2Tg90hJXF

9)That comment makes no sense. So PTs start should stay at 8.50, FT should only top out 32.26, we should go back to the old 9.5 rules, Central states to give back pension bump in lieu of keeping UPS benefits?
Your right!! Sounds amazing!!
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/...-your-future-350225/index3.html#ixzz2Tg95hdBX

10)The company will still be making contributions on your behalf. I am not disputing the gripes about insurance. Not at all. My issues of others saying it sucks are from all other avenues. Beyond the insurance, Hall addressed all concerns and there is something for everyone. There is even a meeting scheduled to further define harassment. Look, not everyone will be voting yes, not everyone will vote no, but no matter what the outcome, can we agree that we stand up for each other? If it came down to it, my ass would be the first on the picker line for anyone.

Who said me and Asskicker can't have a civil conversation?
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/...ect-contract-350229/index2.html#ixzz2Tg9AmOsh

11)Explain how much though. It's not ALL raises.
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/...ect-contract-350229/index2.html#ixzz2Tg9Fzery

12)Yes I know exactly what it is. But a statement like that eludes that some may think it can ALL be diverted which isn't true.
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/...ect-contract-350229/index3.html#ixzz2Tg9LfEYy

804brown

"Free" healthcare?? That certainly is not true from what Im hearing. As for 100k a year, you have to work mucho hours to make 100k. You seem to settle for mediocracy in what our leaders offer. We work damn hard and put up with lots of management's crap. We also make them a world class company BY OUR SERVICE!! Dont sell yourself short. You, I, all of us deserve to be rewarded for a job well done. It is our bodies taking the hit everyday. We start this job young and healthy and leave here beaten up. A just reward in terms of a fair raise and nice pension and decent healthcare as well as language that protects us IS NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR!!

twoweeled

This is a bad contract. It's a no-brainer, to reject this contract. Look at it in it's most simplistic form. As one driver reminded me. "remember how angry management was last contract?" That was a good contract. The CEO is pretty happy about this one. Why??? Duhhh, this is not their best. They will sweeten the deal! Why on earth would we accept this first lousy offer? My hats off to local 89!

browned_out

I'll tell you a reason to vote no, and I don't want to name drop, but I'm going too.

Steve Fisher our local BA and guy explaining the contract to our people here, has informed us that Local 959 (and could be other west coast members as well, I did not ask.) members working at UPS are NOT UNDER CENTRAL STATES. He stated to my face that we have no benefit package in place currently, and it is being discussed and worked out. He has insured me that our package will be comparable to the CS plan. I asked him when this will be finalized, he has said he believes in the October to November time frame.

Meaning here at Local 959 we are going to vote on the contract with no benefit package in place because we will not be using the CS plan.

This is bull****. It's a mockery.

I encourage a no vote. If you are a 959 member, attend the meetings today and express your concern. This is an embarrassment.

This is not entirely correct, you are (or will be) covered by CS (Teamcare) if the western conference cannot find a solution. They have until Nov 1st to somehow come up with an alternative plan. If nothing is found you default into CS (Teamcare), either way you have insurance.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Theres no way anybody should vote yes on this garbage first offer. The biggest question is the health care which nobody has a definite answer on. Why would you vote yes if your not exactly sure what your insurance is going to be. Would you jump out of an airplane if you werent sure your shoot wasnt going to open? Commonsense people thats all im sayin

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
GIVE ME SOME DETAILS, one by one that supports your position on this contract.

TOS

It's not free healthcare. TOS already stated we will be paying much more out of pocket than before.

What's 100k if your paying 10k a year more for health insurance.

Don't forget all the concessions.

4 year progression

50 cent part time wage increase

Part timers in progression making less than if they got GWI

Very questionable 9.5 right for drivers under 4 years seniority

That's not all but I'd rather not waste my whole Saturday going over it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Theres no way anybody should vote yes on this garbage first offer. The biggest question is the health care which nobody has a definite answer on. Why would you vote yes if your not exactly sure what your insurance is going to be. Would you jump out of an airplane if you werent sure your shoot wasnt going to open? Commonsense people thats all im sayin

I am voting yes because I know exactly what my healthcare will be-----the same coverage that I have now, with the same deductibles and co-pays. My pension will not be affected. The raises will be going straight to my 401k. Surepost is being tweaked to ensure we keep more of the volume. This new contract will be business as usual for us here in Upstate NY.

kingOFchester

It's not free healthcare. TOS already stated we will be paying much more out of pocket than before.

What's 100k if your paying 10k a year more for health insurance.

Don't forget all the concessions.

4 year progression

50 cent part time wage increase

Part timers in progression making less than if they got GWI

Very questionable 9.5 right for drivers under 4 years seniority

That's not all but I'd rather not waste my whole Saturday going over it.

Bingo!!!!!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
100k a year stink? Really? The part timers must of gotten one hell of a bump!

Also this isn't a 100k a year job no matter what anyone says. In ten years yeah sure maybe.

I tell people this is a 65k a year job. All the rest of the money I make is overtime so think about that. That's all time after 6pm that I could be home with my family. At a ball game. Having dinner with my wife. Ect ect

kingOFchester

Also this isn't a 100k a year job no matter what anyone says. In ten years yeah sure maybe.

I tell people this is a 65k a year job. All the rest of the money I make is overtime so think about that. That's all time after 6pm that I could be home with my family. At a ball game. Having dinner with my wife. Ect ect

Yea, if you are making 90-100k a year, you have a full time job and a part time job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not free healthcare. TOS already stated we will be paying much more out of pocket than before. What's 100k if your paying 10k a year more for health insurance.

First of all, the only way you are going to pay $10K or more for health insurance is if you have something catastrophic happen. I am covered by a Teamster plan and my out-of-pocket last year was just under $200 and that was only because I chose to upgrade the Rx in my back-up pair of eyeglasses.

Second, I will concede that those of you who will be switching to a union plan will need to become smarter medical consumers. You won't be able to run to the doctor's with the sniffles or run to the pharmacy for a name-brand drug. $100 ER co-pays will make you think twice before seeking emergency care. You will need to learn to love the words "generic drugs", "co-pays" and "deductibles".

I suggest that each of you consider buying supplemental health insurance. This may help offset some of the costs.

The 4 year progression is a precursor to the 5 year and defined two-tiered wage system sure to come in 2018.

Is the contract ideal? No. Is it something that we can live with? Yes.