Lawsuits against FedEx keep piling up...

Ghostwriter

Those HR people (you know, the one's that always stick up for the management) get paid at least 65K a year to send out Xerox letters?

I don't trust any of them.

Well said... Sadly, true observation. Yet, for some reason the lowly people doing the "actual" work on "the front-line" need to be GPS tracked, held to insane stop per hour goals (by which, stress the lines of on-road safety), and in general, held to the up-most highest standard. However, I find it amusing it is never, never, never the manager's fault, or the sr. manager's fault. Nope, its always the poor person out there trying to do their 16.5 stops an hour in the rain, sleet, or snow (even after a late CTV).

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Well said... Sadly, true observation. Yet, for some reason the lowly people doing the "actual" work on "the front-line" need to be GPS tracked, held to insane stop per hour goals (by which, stress the lines of on-road safety), and in general, held to the up-most highest standard. However, I find it amusing it is never, never, never the manager's fault, or the sr. manager's fault. Nope, its always the poor person out there trying to do their 16.5 stops an hour in the rain, sleet, or snow (even after a late CTV).

Well said.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Well said.

Indeed.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

This is so true. Managers make incredible mistakes all the time, and they cover each other by pointing fingers at the hourlies. This seems especially true at the station level, where there is little accountability unless the overall numbers suffer. Most managers are pretty good at passing the blame so they don't get nailed directly. For years, incredibly incompetent managers kept their jobs (and were even promoted) just because they happened to be located at a facility that posted big numbers. The senior could be screwing a CSA on the office floor and not get fired, if he had a Dell, Apple, LL Bean, or some other big shipper that the station serviced. The "numbers" covered all of their other eff-ups, and they were essentially untouchable. If you had a smaller station that had both low inbound and outbound, the managers were under a microscope because business wasn't growing fast enough. These places tended to be "revolving doors" for management.

How do you evaluate the performance of a Memphis engineer who invents the latest method to make us more "productive", especially if it causes more accidents, injuries, or turnover? Oh, sorry, we don't have "injuries". Instead, we have preventable workplace "incidents", where it is inevitably the employees fault. If a blimp crashed into your van in the station parking lot, it would be your fault because you didn't anticipate the hazard of the blimp. God forbid if you are injured by said blimp, because you should have been wearing your orange blimp safety vest, so it's your fault.

Remember, FedEx denies any wrongdoing and will "vigorously defend itself" against anyone and everyone who dares to question anything, even if it is unethical, stupid, or just plain criminal.

What a cluster.

Cactus

If FedEx was a branch of the military most the managers would be courtmarshalled and dishonorably dischargered. This game of fingerpointing at the hourlies is such a sad example of misleadership that no wonder most employees look at FedEx as a pathetic joke.

A cleaning house of management is way overdue and by the way, how much do you think a station's poor management team drains company profits?

vantexan

Back in '97 I was a domicile in a remote area of Colorado. Had a 4X4 Econoline that my mgr said only to drive in 4 wheel drive if the conditions warranted it. So I'm up at a ski lodge at 10,000 ft, temps in 40's, road clear with just a few patches of snow. I turn into the parking lot, come around a line of cars, and suddenly find myself on a sheet of ice on a slight slope. Because the temps would drop below freezing at night and this area of parking lot was in building's shadow the ice hadn't melted yet. The truck required getting out and locking hubs to be in 4X4 so couldn't just push a button. I could have crawled as fast as truck was moving but I couldn't stop it. Finally it bumped into a parked car which left a dent and about an inch long split in the car's skin. Because of a small dinger about 6 months before I was given a warning letter for having 2 accidents in a 12 month period. I protested it, and was told by regional V.P. because my truck was a 4X4 I should have been in 4 wheel drive to anticipate any possible problems. This in spite of my mgr telling me that being in 4X4 all the time tears the vehicle up faster so only be in it when absolutely necessary. And while I enjoyed the week of DIP training in Denver because of it, seemed ludicrous to spend that kind of money given the circumstances.

Cactus

Van, I had a similar situation back in '96 (only no ice) but I GFT'd my warning letter and the regional VP somehow came to a conclusion that I was driving above the posted speed limit. I was so impressed how this VP could have a radar gun over 150 miles away that could track my speed.

Bottom line, they're gonna try to find you guilty no matter what.

snackdad

This thread is going in a direction that reminds me of a situation at my station. Back in 2003 OSHA had a big investigation into safety at my station. They had received many complaints about inadequate ventilation, black clouds of diesel exhaust and a cement floor in the warehouse that was so smooth it became like an ice rink when wet. FedEx was found at fault in every complaint lodged. They paid a fine and were required to put the ventilation fans on a timer and find a way to make the floor less dangerous.
Well the manager could not figure out how to work the timers. So she decided to just turn them on manually everyday to satisfy OSHA. Problem is she forgets nearly everyday and the fans never get turned on. She is also supposed to unlock the back gate everyday to make our exit out of the station safe. Problem is everyday she forgets to do this too. When she does remember to unlock the gate she leaves the combo lock hanging open on the gate with the combo still on it. So now anyone walking by has the combo to our gates. It is no surprise that two years ago at Christmas someone cut the side of the CTV and cut through the Aluminum airline cans to clean out thousands of pounds of Christmas gifts and electronics over the weekend. I am sure all they needed to do was open the gate since they most likely had the combo, and backed a truck in next to the CTV and went to work. I even have photos of the lock hanging open on the gate with the combo showing.
Was the manager ever questioned about her lack of attention to security, common sense or ignoring a directive by OSHA? Absolutely not. I brought up these things so many times in safety meetings and instead of being listened to I would get an OLCC for something unrelated just for interfering. These things eight years later still continue everyday. There is so little concern for safety and security and complete apathy on managements part.
Oh and if you slip on the floor that was never fixed it is your fault. Station management decided it was too costly to make the floor safer so now when the floods come in through the open roll up doors on rainy days management puts down recycled cardboard and trash to give couriers something safer to walk on. Also they send out about 20 safety messages a day about the slippery floor. Don't these messages acknowledge that management knows about the dangers of the floors yet does nothing to fix it? I know of at least 10 injuries due to that slippery floor and three accidents in station. One day a guy came in through the roll up door a little too fast because management was screaming at him to return ASAP. He comes in the door, hits the slippery floor and goes sideways hitting a Sprinter and a van. It was actually real scary because a guy at the front of his vehicle almost got crushed between the the van and the Sprinter. Of course it was all the couriers fault, the rain was our fault, we were to blame for the concrete texture, everything!!
I gave up trying to have anyone listen to my concerns about workplace safety and security. I was on the safety committee and always tried to be proactive with safety. When I got involved with managements practice of ignoring the fact that people were working through unpaid breaks I was OLCCed, got 3 warning letters for trivial matters and was fired. It, of course was the couriers fault for working through breaks. It has nothing to do with management demanding two hour breaks when couriers are 15 stops over max on a rainy day. They can run a report everyday to see who is manually entering Airbill numbers but why bother, the station numbers look good and it's free labor.
Funny thing is that in this day of workplace security, when even selling a piece of FedEx uniform on Ebay is illegal, I still have all my uniform from the last 20 years. The same manager who cannot figure out a simple mechanical timer forgot to send me an airbill to return my uniform. I have been waiting for it but it never comes. It must still be my fault.
I think it's time to revisit this thread. http://www.browncafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334725&highlight=gross+leadership

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

This is so true. Managers make incredible mistakes all the time, and they cover each other by pointing fingers at the hourlies. This seems especially true at the station level, where there is little accountability unless the overall numbers suffer. Most managers are pretty good at passing the blame so they don't get nailed directly. For years, incredibly incompetent managers kept their jobs (and were even promoted) just because they happened to be located at a facility that posted big numbers. The senior could be screwing a CSA on the office floor and not get fired, if he had a Dell, Apple, LL Bean, or some other big shipper that the station serviced. The "numbers" covered all of their other eff-ups, and they were essentially untouchable. If you had a smaller station that had both low inbound and outbound, the managers were under a microscope because business wasn't growing fast enough. These places tended to be "revolving doors" for management.
What a cluster.

This is my station...we run such high numbers that our screw-ups are well covered.

vantexan

Van, I had a similar situation back in '96 (only no ice) but I GFT'd my warning letter and the regional VP somehow came to a conclusion that I was driving above the posted speed limit. I was so impressed how this VP could have a radar gun over 150 miles away that could track my speed.

Bottom line, they're gonna try to find you guilty no matter what.

At my first station had a courier get head on by a drunk driver who was weaving all over both lanes. Got charged with a preventable, blew his stack and threatened to quit. Only time I ever saw a preventable rescinded.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
At my first station had a courier get head on by a drunk driver who was weaving all over both lanes. Got charged with a preventable, blew his stack and threatened to quit. Only time I ever saw a preventable rescinded.

Amazing. This company has no limit on just how low it will go.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
If you had a smaller station that had both low inbound and outbound, the managers were under a microscope because business wasn't growing fast enough. These places tended to be "revolving doors" for management.

This is my sta.

franknitty

Why would anyone want to sue a company like Fedex ? What a great career move for me ! I'm looking forward to another 20 years as a falsifying full-time courier ! LOL

I am a 19 year employee with 14 years in management, most recently as an international corporate sales for the southeast. i was fired on 12/27/12, and I am looking to file a wrongful termination, alienation, and discrimination suit against FedEx. I was hoping to find an attorney who has successfully sue FedEx. After 19 years I have a lot of dirt on them. Also, I have a lot of files and information if UPS were to offer me a position. I loved my company but they abandoned me. I owe them nothing. They owe me. I never thought that I would come to UPS. In our fiscal year of 2011 I won President's club which means I was number one in the country. I have received numerous awards throughout my career. I swore I would never want to work for UPS, I have had several former UPS employees work for me but now I would love to work for UPS and share any information that I could. I would only ask to not be based in Atlanta or Memphis, anywhere else is cool, over seas even better. I have traveled the world and you won't find a better leader than me....so right now I need a strong attorney...any help would be greatly appreciated....thx

vantexan

I am a 19 year employee with 14 years in management, most recently as an international corporate sales for the southeast. i was fired on 12/27/12, and I am looking to file a wrongful termination, alienation, and discrimination suit against FedEx. I was hoping to find an attorney who has successfully sue FedEx. After 19 years I have a lot of dirt on them. Also, I have a lot of files and information if UPS were to offer me a position. I loved my company but they abandoned me. I owe them nothing. They owe me. I never thought that I would come to UPS. In our fiscal year of 2011 I won President's club which means I was number one in the country. I have received numerous awards throughout my career. I swore I would never want to work for UPS, I have had several former UPS employees work for me but now I would love to work for UPS and share any information that I could. I would only ask to not be based in Atlanta or Memphis, anywhere else is cool, over seas even better. I have traveled the world and you won't find a better leader than me....so right now I need a strong attorney...any help would be greatly appreciated....thx

How does one win an award for being the number one whatever and then get himself fired? A previous mgr of mine lived and breathed FedEx but got himself fired too. Had it coming from my viewpoint. Your willingness to stick it to your former employer sounds a bit smarmy to me. I doubt that UPS will be interested if you try to trade "dirt" for a job.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Attorneys are not allowed to solicit for business on this site. Sounds like you drank the Kool-Aid for a long time and then found out the hard way how little employees mean to this outfit.

I know someone in Sales who was fired a few years ago for not making his quota. I had always thought that being in sales was an easy job until he filled me in on the incredible pressure to make unreasonable goals.

A lot of attorneys offer free 30-minute consultations, which is a quick and easy way to find out if your case has merit. You might have to shop around until you find one who you feel comfortable with and specializes in the area of law you need. FedEx has a formidable legal team, but they regularly lose big cases, or settle them out-of-court. Good luck.

overflowed

Maybe while your at it, you can spill some dirt for a class action for the rest of us. Haven't had a nice lawsuit for a few months. Hope all works out brother, or sister.

hypo hanna

Also, I have a lot of files and information if UPS were to offer me a position. ...thx

A dangerous game you are playing. Whatever contract you may have signed when u hired or during your time in Fred's hell probably covered proprietary information.
Giving out customer contact list etc could get you in some real hot water.

bbsam

Staff member
A dangerous game you are playing. Whatever contract you may have signed when u hired or during your time in Fred's hell probably covered proprietary information.
Giving out customer contact list etc could get you in some real hot water.

yes. And such contracts are designed to cause the offender absolute financial destruction.

IsItME

I know of more than ten major lawsuits by employees that are and will cost FedEx millions. I will share the details soon. The employees are no longer tolerating the company bully tactics. Say what you want, the facts are the facts and FedEx is paying lawyers $500 an hour and still getting its :censored2: kicked.