Layoffs

705red

Browncafe Steward
i do believe red that if you "bump" some one in 705 you stay at your current rate. which brings up the point a feeder driver at CACH can bump 2 pt's and make feeder pay bagging smalls XD
Your right, but we all know feeder drivers can not live on 8 hours a day! And now with the new contract they can bump any 705 junior feeder driver.

Bumping a junior feeder driver is not as difficult as a package car driver bumping in to a different building. Feeder is the same, hook up and drive. Package you have to learn different areas and would cost the company more money in the long run.

brownrodster

Heres a question you should ask, if a package car driver goes feeder does his full time seniority carry with him in case of feeder lay offs? It should!

Here our feeder drivers would go back to package in order of feeder seniority. then get laid off from package in order of building FT seniority.

705red

Browncafe Steward
"I work PT Air Driver here and there are a bunch of us who are calling in everyday are we considered "layed off" or "on call"?"

Ohhhh wow, now I'm wondering if I am actually on call and not layed off seeing how I am calling in everyday. Not sure what the difference would be between the two.

Even though thinking about it, the staffing sheet at work has everyone that has to call in under the "layoffs" column when they don't work though.
If you do not work for 5 days you would have the right to bump a junior air driver on a different shift, or bump back in to the building. At least here.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Here our feeder drivers would go back to package in order of feeder seniority. then get laid off from package in order of building FT seniority.
A feeder driver here can bump tri-district feeder or bump any junior fulltime employee, porter, 22.3, package etc. And keep their feeder rate of pay.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A feeder driver here can bump tri-district feeder or bump any junior fulltime employee, porter, 22.3, package etc. And keep their feeder rate of pay.

If a feeder driver is laid off here, they're bumping guys/gals in package only. It's happened to a few.

Also, if someone in package is laid off and forced to work inside, and they do not drive for one week, they are laid off to the company seniority P/T pay.

Apparently it is unlawful in Massachusetts to cut someones pay more than $5 an hour, although I have never heard of such a thing, and there is quite a bit of debate/grumbling going on up here about pkg drivers laid off taking a more than half paycut.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That's about to change! We have 4 going back Monday. One has bumped inside 22.3, I believe.

3 more the following week.

Interesting! I am on vaca this week , so out of the rumour loop.

So - my question is - the bumping going on a triple bump? The 22.3 can displace a less-senior 22.3? And they can displace someone?

Hedley_Lamarr

I'm laid off every other week, I worked last week, and of course next week I'm laid off. I have interviews set up for next week, if I get another job offer, I'm outta here....

Red Dawn

it's crazy with all the displacing "bumping" at my hub. feeder taking 22.3(few that are left) 22.3 going package package and 22.3 displacing 2 part timers feeder guys bouncing back into feeders...now that spots open. new jobs are being posted that they wouldn't let us "dissolved" 22.3 pick from. now we are taking those spots....on on on!!!!! ups is digging a bigger hole every day!! no joke every day something new is going on and management can't keep up! grievances are flying of the printer. seniority is getting forgot about and it getting to the point if you ask for a spot they just give it to you just so they can move on. and don't get me started on pay roll!!!! still waiting on my last week as a "combo" they paid me ONE DOLLAR ($1.00) and every check has been wrong!! and this is happening to all of....."dissolved" employees. lol sorry don't now what we are classified as..lol no one can say!!

thom1842

If you do not work for 5 days you would have the right to bump a junior air driver on a different shift, or bump back in to the building. At least here.
If you bump back after 5 days, can you "bump in" once they need you again or would you have to rebid?

I am just trying to see if I should ride it out only working every other week or so or if I can bump back and forth.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Read your contract as they are a little different across the nation.

Here you would placed back in to your original job in seniority order when the work came back.

Red Dawn

why don't you displace part timers every other week? down here if you have to be laid off for over 5 straight days before they can change your pay. so on your off week you could displace part timers and keep your pay..check with your steward

pudg00

pudg00
Does anyone know what the management to Teamster ratio is? I have been laid off for 5 weeks now (working in hub instead of driving) and have not heard of any management laid being laid off.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Does anyone know what the management to Teamster ratio is? I have been laid off for 5 weeks now (working in hub instead of driving) and have not heard of any management laid being laid off.
What exactly does that have to do with anything? The union can not tell the company to lay off management and bring you back. Management has taken pay freezes and lost out on other benefits right now.

On the positive note easter is around the corner and you should be back driving for vacation coverage.

pudg00

pudg00
I did not think the Teamsters had anything to do with management layoffs. Everyday I am told "We need more volume before you will be driving". Out boxline has 4 part time sups. All others in our building have 2, that does not make sense to me. Long time dirvers have told me our center has never had that many sups. before. Did not make the cut for vacations so I am making about $200 less a week. If cost savings is an issue I would think management would be having layoffs. Last week our center had 4 drivers on Thurs. out over 11hrs. They are sending out 49 or 50 cars on the heavy days and we only have 52 drivers in our center. Just trying to make sense of it all. Even my center manager told me today he needs all of us back.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I did not think the Teamsters had anything to do with management layoffs. Everyday I am told "We need more volume before you will be driving". Out boxline has 4 part time sups. All others in our building have 2, that does not make sense to me. Long time dirvers have told me our center has never had that many sups. before. Did not make the cut for vacations so I am making about $200 less a week. If cost savings is an issue I would think management would be having layoffs. Last week our center had 4 drivers on Thurs. out over 11hrs. They are sending out 49 or 50 cars on the heavy days and we only have 52 drivers in our center. Just trying to make sense of it all. Even my center manager told me today he needs all of us back.
Nothing here ever makes sense! do not try to figure it out, you will just drive your self crazy in the process!