Learning to drive a manual in order to become a driver

beeschroeder

Hi y'all! I've been with UPS for 4 years and have been asked if I'm interested in driving for the company. Thing is, I need practice driving a manual and I don't know anyone who drives one. U-Haul doesn't have them for rent anymore, and neither do any of the car rental companies in this town. UPS was letting us learn on Saturdays, but has discontinued that practice. I've completed every step but the driving test, and the way things are looking, I'm never going to be able to become a driver. Any of you have any helpful hints you can pass on? I've been trying to figure something out for months to no avail...

Bee

STFXG

Go to a bunch of different dealerships and test drive sticks. They will probably let you stall them a few times before they figure out you don't know wtf you're doing. It's pretty easy to figure out though...

packageguy

I helped many preloads going driving, see if you can get in early, before preload starts and just drive around the building, or just ask a clerk, or porter. Explain to your building manager you really need this job.

klein

Für Meno :)
Go on Craigslist, car sales.
Give the guy $40 bucks to teach you how for a hr or so.
But a p500 is a bit different, it's best to take that around the corner, too.
When you are being trained on route, just ask the driver to let you drive around any lot out there.

Mind you, you can always pay mega bucks and go back to any driving school, too !
I'm totally shocked about the North American drivers license test.

It's mandatory to learn standard in Europe, and actually, if you don't do your driving test in a standard, then all you'll get is a license to drive automatics only. Which would suck ! Because their are not many of them around in Europe.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you're applying to drive in our center you might want to learn on a non-powersteering, two point seat belt, 30lb pressure clutch, above your kneecap entry step, hand rail placed at the 7ft mark, unleaded truck. Don't worry, we have plenty you can try out.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Stupid question alert----Do you know if your center has any manual transmission package cars? Mine doesn't.

Probably 1/3 of our package cars are still 5 speed in our building.

I was going to suggest something along the same lines as Klein. Put an ad on craigslist that you want to learn to drive manual and see if you get some responses.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Probably 1/3 of our package cars are still 5 speed in our building.

I was going to suggest something along the same lines as Klein. Put an ad on craigslist that you want to learn to drive manual and see if you get some responses.
Make sure you post under the correct seeking catagory "Want to learn to drive a stick, will pay well" might get you some responses you weren't looking for.

QKRSTKR

Stupid question alert----Do you know if your center has any manual transmission package cars? Mine doesn't.

WOW! Soon as your center gets this new Orion crap you may find yourself locked out. It will take zero skill to do your job.

95% of our cars r still manuals.