Liberty mutual

Trucker Clock

Do we still have dental insurance when out on workman's comp?

@Thebrownblob already answered you, but I'll take it one step further.

You have the exact same benefits when you're on Workers Comp as you do when you are working. UPS pays your premium for your existing healthcare plan while you are off, and you keep all your benefits.

They also pay into your pension while you are off.

Up In Smoke

It's contractual. It's in your Supplement.
I agree, but the company has shown over and over their ability to not adhere to contract language. We had a case where Liberty Mutual withheld payment for more than 6 weeks while deciding whether to fight the claim. Our states Workforce Development stepped in and ruled for the employee with an additional $12k penalty. Liberty Mutual, IMO likes to delay in order to make the employee sweat the finances. We've found the state's judges have way more influence than our contract.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I agree, but the company has shown over and over their ability to not adhere to contract language. We had a case where Liberty Mutual withheld payment for more than 6 weeks while deciding whether to fight the claim. Our states Workforce Development stepped in and ruled for the employee with an additional $12k penalty. Liberty Mutual, IMO likes to delay in order to make the employee sweat the finances. We've found the state's judges have way more influence than our contract.
Liberty is only doing what UPS tells it to do.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
How am I supposed to get with any lady’s on here if my posts keep getting deleted
0115CBE1-5011-40AD-92DF-50A3E97A95FB.gif

You are severely cramping my style

@Ldyscorpio HMU

Trucker Clock

I agree, but the company has shown over and over their ability to not adhere to contract language. We had a case where Liberty Mutual withheld payment for more than 6 weeks while deciding whether to fight the claim. Our states Workforce Development stepped in and ruled for the employee with an additional $12k penalty.

Totally different scenario.

In this case, UPS is contesting whether the injury happened on the clock, thus denying Workers Compensation initially. The procedure is what you described. A hearing at your State's Workers Comp office. In this case, Your State's Workers Comp ruled that it was a compensable injury. So, now, UPS must continue to pay into his health and welfare.

We've found the state's judges have way more influence than our contract.

Not true. Your State's Workers Comp just ruled it was a compensable injury. This is actually the procedure if UPS initially denies the claim. Once your State rules it is a compensable injury, your Supplement kicks in, because it is now a workers comp injury, making UPS pay into your health and welfare fund to keep your health benefits while off.

Trucker Clock

Easy. As long as you went out before the strike, you’re good.

I was actually on Workers Comp during the entire 1997 strike. I was on Comp before the strike happened and all my benefits continued through the strike and beyond.

I still stood on the picket line and bought all the food and drinks for everyone for the entire 2 weeks, since I was basically the only one getting paid.

Up In Smoke

In this case, UPS is contesting whether the injury happened on the clock, thus denying Workers Compensation initially. The procedure is what you described. A hearing at your State's Workers Comp office. In this case, Your State's Workers Comp ruled that it was a compensable injury. So, now, UPS must continue to pay into his health and welfare.

Not true. Your State's Workers Comp just ruled it was a compensable injury. This is actually the procedure if UPS initially denies the claim. Once your State rules it is a compensable injury, your Supplement kicks in, because it is now a workers comp injury, making UPS pay into your health and welfare fund to keep your health benefits while off.
All true, but the way I read the OP is the employee was told there was no light duty available. TAW has to be approved by the local and comp by the insurer. This employee assumed that workers comp was going to apply, but when finally contacted was told TAW was the course of action. There is a huge breakdown of communication where neither the employer or LB has had to make restitution. Insurance will lapse and benefits will not be paid.

JonDoe

The problem with this is(at least here)the State workers comp is so backlogged it can take up to a year for your case to be heard. So.....Who pays your pay and benefits? They won't put you on TAW for a year.

Trucker Clock

All true, but the way I read the OP is the employee was told there was no light duty available. TAW has to be approved by the local and comp by the insurer. This employee assumed that workers comp was going to apply, but when finally contacted was told TAW was the course of action. There is a huge breakdown of communication where neither the employer or LB has had to make restitution. Insurance will lapse and benefits will not be paid.

I hate to say it, but anymore you need a lawyer right away because UPS tends to fight every injury now since they have more money than you and they can starve you out.

You get healthcare covered while you’re on Comp, but if UPS fights the injury, you’re not on Comp yet.

Hell of an employer to work for. Screws everyone of its employees and doesn’t even bat an eye.

Trucker Clock

The problem with this is(at least here)the State workers comp is so backlogged it can take up to a year for your case to be heard. So.....Who pays your pay and benefits? They won't put you on TAW for a year.

That’s why UPS fights every injury now. They can starve you out to accept either disability instead of Comp or force you back before you should be back.

Hell of an employer to work for.

otizanig