Life As A Manager

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Every time I see a manager these days, they look like whipped dogs. The ones I talk to indicate that it's either make your budget...or else. I recently attended a social event where there were a lot of FedEx employees, both hourlies and managers, up to and including an MD. To the person, they were disgusted in the direction the company has gone, and appalled at the level of incompetence in Memphis. This is a company where even the "leadership" is questioning MEM, and there appears to be zero confidence in upper management decisions.

My guess is that a lot of managers at the station level are going home and killing-off bottle of wine, 6-pack of beer, or something stronger almost every night. My senior, who is just angry all the time, looks hung over most mornings, and often locks himself in his office for hours, supposedly on "calls".

This company is in the toilet.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
As long as Smith and Thornton are making ridiculous demands we'll be down at the bottom of a lake real soon, Those two need to go. Now,

hypo hanna

Probably the only job worse then being a courier. The bad managers are getting what they deserve from their employees. The good ones are just getting screwed. I like my manager but that doesn't mean I will do anything more then working as directed. He knows it and he knows he can't get any more then that from me.

Being an Ops or senior manager is just another thankless dead end job, like courier, service agents and dispatchers.

fedupped

Absolutely. Anybody who isnt in the inner circle of Fred...friend, son of friend, pay back to board of director..is going nowhere.

Nick9075

You have to kiss the senior mgmt ass (the ones in the terminal that sit in their air conditioned office all day) and be their bitch to get anywhere within the company or not to be targeted. They hate people who stand up for themselves, many of these senior managers have a very my way or the highway attitude and expect contractors to treat the drivers as such. It doesn't work that way but when you are a lifer and ass kisser everything is a my way or the highway attitude.

Nick9075

Absolutely. Anybody who isnt in the inner circle of Fred...friend, son of friend, pay back to board of director..is going nowhere.

Or as I say about one particular guy who was given a route for virtually nothing because the senior manager persuaded a particular contractor, you have to be their little bitch to get ahead

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

My guess is that a lot of managers at the station level are going home and killing-off bottle of wine, 6-pack of beer
As a SM, I polish off 2 packages of boloney and 4 lunchables every night. If it's a really bad day I'll forget to take the red strings off the boloney and eat them. I found out in the morning though. All this talk of food is getting me hungry. Time to lock myself in my office and make "calls" for 3 hours.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Failed plans, service failures, late freight and a total lack of accountability followed by copious amounts of finger-pointing.

That is life as a Manager.

Nick9075

Failed plans, service failures, late freight and a total lack of accountability followed by copious amounts of finger-pointing.

That is life as a Manager.

but they keep their jobs. you forgot about throw others under the bus who aren't their butt buddies at the slightest opportunity. I think many of them are lifers can't go anywhere else, truely slimy scummy human beings.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
We had a guy that attempted to "resign" a month ago. He came in with his uniform on and asked the manager to step outside (we all knew ahead of time, that this was his plan). The manager said, "It's time for you to start your route, see me or call me "ON YOUR BREAK!" (yes, he said ON YOUR BREAK). The courier went into the breakroom, with the manager right behind him. He proceeded to make a cup of coffee and sat down. He told the manager, "Ya know, I'm on PERMANENT BREAK from you and this *****-hole!" We knew all hell was about to break loose and it did. Needless to say, the courier was TERMINATED, but one of the couriers caught all the action on his cellphone. The manager walks around with his tail between his legs, looking all pitiful. Poor thing.

El Morado Diablo

We had a guy that attempted to "resign" a month ago. He came in with his uniform on and asked the manager to step outside (we all knew ahead of time, that this was his plan). The manager said, "It's time for you to start your route, see me or call me "ON YOUR BREAK!" (yes, he said ON YOUR BREAK). The courier went into the breakroom, with the manager right behind him. He proceeded to make a cup of coffee and sat down. He told the manager, "Ya know, I'm on PERMANENT BREAK from you and this *****-hole!" We knew all hell was about to break loose and it did. Needless to say, the courier was TERMINATED, but one of the couriers caught all the action on his cellphone. The manager walks around with his tail between his legs, looking all pitiful. Poor thing.

Any chance this video will be posted online?

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

the courier was TERMINATED, but one of the couriers caught all the action on his cellphone.
If you post that, I'm afraid it will only have the opposite effect of what you or the other employee want. The manager will be "counseled" and the employee filming will be terminated. Please consider the implications.

HomeDelivery

If you post that, I'm afraid it will only have the opposite effect of what you or the other employee want. The manager will be "counseled" and the employee filming will be terminated. Please consider the implications.

hand it to that "jerseyrants" guy ~ he's not afraid to posts such videos online & could care less about FedEx management

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I would have to agree. Be very careful about what you post. The "ideal" posting would be of an employee who is already leaving filming something like the scenario you mention. At that point, nobody really cares, and the focus goes on the manager. Always remember that hourlies are worthless scum to this company. Managers actually count.

Doc Sorting Dude

The Managers in our building are seriously thinking about going back to being a courier. The goals are unattainable for even some of our seasoned couriers. The hate for our management grows everyday and I work with former managers now couriers because of unreasonable demands. I don't blame them.

hypo hanna

Someone at my station supposedly has video of an operations manager throwing boxes on the ground out of anger for the station not hitting its flow rate.

I have seen mgrs going ballistic on freight a couple of times over my sentence....erm "career". Some just aren't cut out for the pressure and as more unrealistic goals are piled on there will be more mgrs flipping out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The Managers in our building are seriously thinking about going back to being a courier. The goals are unattainable for even some of our seasoned couriers. The hate for our management grows everyday and I work with former managers now couriers because of unreasonable demands. I don't blame them.

This is happening in many locations as the demands on everyone become increasingly ridiculous and unattainable. Our upper management is seriously incompetent.