Life Expectancy after Retirement?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Actually no. But I will defend myself. I give what I get.

I encourage thoughtful, spirited conversation.....a real rarity on BC.

The attacks are down a bit. Reporting works. But then new attackers show up. The bullying gets old.

I'm here(BC) to discuss work stuff and current events that impact us all.

To be clear: I'm not here to "argue" or fight. But to share thoughts and experiences.
Could everybody but you be wrong?
Think about it. or is this how you’ve lived your life just arguing for the sake of arguing

The Milkman

I am 55 with 27 years service as a driver. I can retire now, but my wife is going to work another 10 years, so I plan to work until my 65th birthday. I have a *very* easy and very scenic country route.

A coworker told me that the average UPS driver only lives about 2 to 5 years after they retire. This sounds wrong to me.

Does anybody know the correct data about the actual statistic for a retired UPS driver?

I had been assuming that I would make it to the age where my grandfathers died (79 years old, both of them). My Dad is 79 and he is still alive and well.

Hopefully somebody here has heard a more encouraging number than dropping dead 2-5 years into retirement!
Retire already, I retired 14 years ago at 55 after 25 years at Big Brown. I also had a rural easy route thus the nickname I was given. Bought an RV traveled all over the USA, enjoying my paid vacation till I die. Why wait?? When I retired, I told the wife she is also going to hang it up, she was a Nanny no big high paying job. Enjoy life while you are still in good health and not all crippled up which could happen. A stroke would end your plans in a heartbeat, and so will a heart attack or accident. I have seen other brothers who died just prior to retiring or dying a few years after. Compare the difference between your pension check and your 40 or so hour week. Subtract your pension amount from what you currently make and divide it by 40 hours, and you will see what I am talking about. Back in 08 I can't remember but if I made 1000 a week or 4k a month (working the Customer counter after transferring off the road I took a pay cut with hardly any o/t) and my pension check after taxes etc. is 3k, then divide 1k by 4 =$250 a week or $6.25 per hour for 40 hours, why work and bust your tail for $6.25 per hour. Just an example. If you HAVE to work, then retire and get a job paying more than $6.25 per hour. We only go around once. If you wait till 65 you will be if lucky to live to the average 79. You may feel full of vinegar and piss now but in 10 years you may not and not have the energy you have now. As I approach 70 in May my wife and I were happy we retired when we did as we feel a bit slower now. She will be 73 soon. If you work till 65 then you have about 168 months to enjoy life according to averages in the USA, and we all know how fast months fly by. I find it hard to believe that I am just reaching my 168th month after 14 years retired and pray to make another 168 more. The sand in the top of our Life hourglass is shrinking daily and one day it will be no more. Our Dirt nap awaits all of us. Don't be someone who looks back on his life and says I should've, Could've, Would've, but by then it will be too late. Hang it up already, you are and have always been a # to UPS. Enjoy time the one thing you can't buy

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
And?

Talk about the issues.
Your hate of me.....who you've never met....think about that....

There is a guy on here....I'll talk about load retainers..he'll ask me about my 401k. Bullying. It's a tired meme. It's all here on BC.

That's you. Keyboard Soprano(wannabe).

I’ll write this so you……..can understand.
No one……hates you.
You….act like a spoiled child.
You have no…….sense of humor either.
All you do…..is whine……why are they picking on me?……bullies!
You’re too……easy.
No one cares that much about……you….to hate you. Simple.

Last edited:

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Hey chicken poop....

LEAVE MY WIFE OUT OF IT.

If you can't, come see me. I'll even buy you a oneway ticket.
Don't waste your time. He wouldn't show up. Was probably bullied a lot when growing up and is just paying it forward behind the keyboard. When confronted face to face would run to his mommies basement.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I was forced to retire at age 60.
For medical reasons, my body was killing me.
Best decision I ever made.
Six years later, my body is in great shape.
I haven't swallowed a pain reliever pills in years.
Today I didn't wake up until pass noon.

Johney

My wife is still working, 10 years ago she finished her degree after being a stay at home mother raising the kids. God knows being a package car driver you can only help so much. She's happy with her job and want's to put some more towards her retirement. 6 more years and she can collect Social Security I'm sure she'll be ready by then.

25TOLIFE

I'm overweight since retiring, have numerous joints that are absolutely destroyed, drink a little more than I probably should but ho for a yearly check up and get a clean bill of heath with normal bloodwork and better than average for my age test results. 25/30 years of walking in and out, up and down for 10 hours a day gives you a pretty good start to a long life. Imagine spending the 30 years sitting at a desk........no thanks! I might have better joints but not much else.