Life Expectancy after Retirement?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
"able to retire".....define please. Do you mean financially or as defined by our pension benefit parameters? For example: I need to keep our insurance right where it is.....at 62 I can draw SSI. 65 would be better for Medicare(for us). It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to use my own money to pay for these things. I'll trade my time(for now) for $100k+ and free insurance.

My financial guy agrees.....

I don't worry about it at all...no bs.

I've got much more to worry about than money....
Define obnoxious

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I am 55 with 27 years service as a driver. I can retire now, but my wife is going to work another 10 years, so I plan to work until my 65th birthday. I have a *very* easy and very scenic country route.

A coworker told me that the average UPS driver only lives about 2 to 5 years after they retire. This sounds wrong to me.

Does anybody know the correct data about the actual statistic for a retired UPS driver?

I had been assuming that I would make it to the age where my grandfathers died (79 years old, both of them). My Dad is 79 and he is still alive and well.

Hopefully somebody here has heard a more encouraging number than dropping dead 2-5 years into retirement!
about 6 months.

UnionStrong

I am 55 with 27 years service as a driver. I can retire now, but my wife is going to work another 10 years, so I plan to work until my 65th birthday. I have a *very* easy and very scenic country route.

A coworker told me that the average UPS driver only lives about 2 to 5 years after they retire. This sounds wrong to me.

Does anybody know the correct data about the actual statistic for a retired UPS driver?

I had been assuming that I would make it to the age where my grandfathers died (79 years old, both of them). My Dad is 79 and he is still alive and well.

Hopefully somebody here has heard a more encouraging number than dropping dead 2-5 years into retirement!
Retire now and kiss your wife goodbye in the morning as she leaves for work. Much can happen in 10 years.

UnionStrong

You?

Sigh.
I was thinking you. Since you fit the profile with your long self serving posts. Once in a awhile i agree with you but for the most part the posts are too wordy since you use 6 words when 2 or three might suffice. But that’s just you trying to show everyone that you’re so smart and articulate. You may well be but it comes across as needy, even a little desperate.

Being helpful. I know you like to report people too, which only proves my point.

rod

Retired 22 years
Retire now and kiss your wife goodbye in the morning as she leaves for work. Much can happen in 10 years.
I wasn't that lucky. As soon as I announced that I was going to retire my wife did too---and she is 4 years younger than me. I envy guys who can keep ma working while they play. A retired friends wife just retired and he has been retired for 15 years. He's like the "god" of retired guys for managing to keep her working..

tourists24

I wasn't that lucky. As soon as I announced that I was going to retire my wife did too---and she is 4 years younger than me. I envy guys who can keep ma working while they play. A retired friends wife just retired and he has been retired for 15 years. He's like the "god" of retired guys for managing to keep her working..
That's why I married a woman 17 years younger than me :)...... she'll keep working for a long time

quad decade guy

Define obnoxious
You?

Sigh.
I was thinking you. Since you fit the profile with your long self serving posts. Once in a awhile i agree with you but for the most part the posts are too wordy since you use 6 words when 2 or three might suffice. But that’s just you trying to show everyone that you’re so smart and articulate. You may well be but it comes across as needy, even a little desperate.

Being helpful. I know you like to report people too, which only proves my point.
Gosh...and I thought we might have a breakthrough...

But alas....back to bullying.

Fair enough.

In the end...just don't read em. Keeps you from bullying and me reporting it....fair?

By the way...I don't get to actually say what I want to....or respond in kind. Reporting personal attacks can be my only defense at times....but then being wordy gets me bullied too.

Look up the underlying causes of bullying(by the perp).....narcissism.....also might explain your intimidation, jealous envy of my use of vocabulary or perhaps thoughtful responses. I used to work with several folks like you in a certain operation. Really reveals ignorance...

Gotta go...gettin wordy....
2words^2 words^ whew under the limit...

I do invite civil if not spirited conversation.

UnionStrong

You?

Sigh.

Fair enough.

In the end...just don't read em. Keeps you from bullying and me reporting it....fair?

By the way...I don't get to actually say what I want to....or respond in kind. Reporting personal attacks can be my only defense at times....but then being wordy gets me bullied too.

Look up the underlying causes of bullying(by the perp).....narcissism.....also might explain your intimidation, jealous envy of my use of vocabulary or perhaps thoughtful responses. I used to work with several folks like you in a certain operation. Really reveals ignorance...

Anyone that disagrees with you or criticizes you is a bully. Very thin skin for a long time UPSER. You lash out at people to quickly. I will admit you are on the receiving end of some unwarranted attacks, but sometimes you bring them on yourself. Having said that, you make good points, and when you do I acknowledge them. I’m not your enemy or a bully, I detest bullies. I like to tease and bust balls.
I don’t know why others go after you, haven’t been on BC that long, all I can say is you may want to lighten up a bit, and be more concise with your posts. A real wordsmith can say a lot with a few words.

Best

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Ok.

Define commercial truck driver.

Why? Because we are commercial truck drivers true....but not over the road long haul types(sleepers excepted).

Now, feeders can seem like it. But I submit pkg car can seem like it too. Feeders home every night/day gives at least the possibility of exercise and convenience of meal possibilities. Now over the road trucking can allow for a healthier lifestyle...but if you've ever done it....it takes a lot of effort...especially UPS sleepers as in my experience(we don't stop and have a lot of free time).

Think of all the dust inhaled on some routes. Think of all that box dust and how generally dirty you are after 10 hours of delivering. Those salt stains on your uniform didn't get there by accident....we had a nervous type of guy we called "The coal miner"....he wiped his face a lot with pkg car black hands....he also smoked like a chimney(chronic)...was also one of the few flabby pkg car drivers....actually overweight.

I know of very few UPS'ers that died at 61 or just about anyone for that matter. I realize exceptions.

If a guy gets bladder cancer.....was it from drinking water from lead lined pipes as a kid or adult? Or 5 Mountain Dews every day? Big gulps...? Or mineral water(healthy right) in plastic bottles....See?

He(your friend) very nearly made it to life expectancy. Not much more you can ask for. With all respect to your friend(With sincerity)....a lot of heart disease is highly treatable if not preventable....(there is a lot of variables there). FOR EXAMPLE: MY BROTHER IN LAW went to have a stress test in his early 50's....he is a big boy(6'3 300) and what a surprise....4 stints later(and was completely, utterly surprised). Ate anything he wanted and loathed exercise of any type...I mean HATED it. Bitched at mowing the grass....see? He was a an ATT phone guy...not a commercial truck driver. He made it to retirement and now in his early 60's.....but I would not(and just about anyone in the family) be surprised at that 2am phone call....

I had a grandmother died at 97....never knew what "exercise was" and kept a 5 gallon can of lard under the sink....ate pinto beans and cornbread, whatever pie she made, some fried whatever garden veg 2 meals a day 7 days a week(till she died). Born in 1910. You can imagine what life was like in rural OK. My grandfather(her husband)? died at 72...as a life long heavy smoker, pipeline welder...born 1912. Lung cancer...smoked until hospital wouldn't let him....where he died.

Message?......it just depends.
Cool story bro
Lol

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Got mine still working I’ve been retired for 7 years. I love her to death but these 7 years have been awesome. She’s planning on going a couple more years
So I’ve got that going for me

UnionStrong

You?

Sigh.

Fair enough.

And I’m far from jealous of you. I feel bad for you. Afraid to retire because you can’t let the status you’ve achieved go, do to your seniority. It’s become your identity, and the thought of shedding the browns scares you to death. At work you’re the big shot, but once you retire you become a JAG. No matter how many toys you have, you need that identity. I’ve seen it before. You can blame it on your wife or whatever you want, but it’s you that won’t let it go.
Concerning your use of words and your writing, I would say it’s on par with a high school student.

Best

Helping

Last edited: