Loader going to Package in 3 months

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Many people told me I'm the best loader they've ever seen. Many many people, believe me.

4EADAEC3-C891-4E84-ADDD-4CF3C34A0D5A.gif

BB41A4D8-48AD-4AC1-A682-BEF4C7F7B07C.gif

DonaruTarampu

Good job

Do you get paid extra for this
I'm making 40k at my current full time gig and living comfortably so the money I get from being a part time loader is just pocket money for me. I'm trying to put in work and be recognized as a hard worker so that I can get a driving job quick and make that 70-80K

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I'm making 40k at my current full time gig and living comfortably so the money I get from being a part time loader is just pocket money for me. I'm trying to put in work and be recognized as a hard worker so that I can get a driving job quick and make that 70-80K

Recognition does not matter.

Bid jobs, (such as package car driver), can only be gotten by having more seniority than anyone else trying to get the job. Prepare to wait. Some centers can be 5+ years.

Mine is about 3.

DonaruTarampu

Recognition does not matter.

Bid jobs, (such as package car driver), can only be gotten by having more seniority than anyone else trying to get the job. Prepare to wait. Some centers can be 5+ years.

Mine is about 3.
The highest level person at my hub, her title is something like center manager, told me I'll most likely be a driver in 3 months or so. Since all loaders gotta wait 6 months (something about union contract?) and we're in desperate need of drivers right now at my hub. A lot more so come peak season. All other supervisors and management peeps told me the same thing. Idk they could be blowing smoke up my ass but I doubt it.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
The highest level person at my hub, her title is something like center manager, told me I'll most likely be a driver in 3 months or so. Since all loaders gotta wait 6 months (something about union contract?) and we're in desperate need of drivers right now at my hub. A lot more so come peak season. All other supervisors and management peeps told me the same thing. Idk they could be blowing smoke up my ass but I doubt it.
Here's the thing about management, --They lie.

You need to figure out what local you are in, and find your contract. Read up on the requirements for bidding on a job. Talk to your union steward.

If you don't learn your rights, you'll only have the rights management feels like giving you.

DonaruTarampu

Here's the thing about management, --They lie.

You need to figure out what local you are in, and find your contract. Read up on the requirements for bidding on a job. Talk to your union steward.

If you don't learn your rights, you'll only have the rights management feels like giving you.
Will do, thanks.

26ybwKBciSd4G9aIo.gif

Jstpeachy

Busting ass and being stellar at your job means absolutely zero at ups. The faster you figure that out the better off you’ll be. Seniority rules 100% of the time. Period.

It seems every building has vastly different wait times for drivers. Some buildings talk about 5+ years, where as in my center I was asked 2.5 months in when I’m gonna drive (though likely as cover driver, not a FT spot yet) so it all depends.

Also management tells you whatever you wanna hear to keep you on the hook the longest they can. Ask other drivers in your center or the union guy is probably the best option to get a timeframe for your building.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
They check for packages handled per hour. And the sups here openly talk about everyone's numbers and how much they can handle before their rollers start jamming up.

Which is done in an attempt to manipulate people into working faster.
The union does not recognize management's production standards.

DonaruTarampu

Which is done in an attempt to manipulate people into working faster.
The union does not recognize management's production standards.
That could be true. I simply brought up my being in the top loaders to say I can handle the high volume during peak season should I switch to package. Not trying to discuss the legitimacy of working hard at UPS.

DonaruTarampu

So I had an emergency and had to call in today. The center manager lady told me to make sure I sign up for the new driver bid sheet going up next week. I noticed the last one was up for like a month and only 2 people signed up. I never signed because I figured I wouldn't be qualified until after 6 months. I also noticed them advertising now on job sites looking for drivers. So I guess this means I will be driving sooner than I thought?