Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

How do you feel about this situation?

• Total voters

Brownnote

Get rid of the initiation fee until someone gets hired. (Seniority date) The fee's too much for people making so little and it's a horror show for PR. Casual or seasonal temp's is an opportunity to show how beneficial the teamsters or organized labor is. We need to ditch the "seasonal teamster bonus fund" perception. That being said, double the initiation fee for PVD'S.

Thebrownblob

Get rid of the initiation fee until someone gets hired. (Seniority date) The fee's too much for people making so little and it's a horror show for PR. Casual or seasonal temp's is an opportunity to show how beneficial the teamsters or organized labor is. We need to ditch the "seasonal teamster bonus fund" perception. That being said, double the initiation fee for PVD'S.
We did wave the initiation fee for part-timers in my local.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Looking back on this, UPS did this on purpose
I agree, UPS did nothing on purpose until they got caught by the local. That’s the beauty of this whole thing. Someone in management looked at this early on and realized doing nothing, in their mind, was the best thing to do. No one higher up was barking at them therefore they do nothing. Eventually someone barked at them, probably labor, and this was the unfortunate outcome.

Yolo

People keep asking if the public will be on our side during a strike. Local 25 pulling this nonsense again will be a surefire way to keep the public off our side.

For the love of God. Do not pull this crap again.

takesteady

Crazy to think that these initiation fees are apparently a thing in some locals. The union has to put at a stop to them at a national level ASAP.

takesteady

Sure we admit it. Can we stop now?
Have the seasonal employees who had their entre paychecks drained been made whole? Has their been any accountability taken? Is there anything to prevent this from happening again in the future? If not, this topic is still worth discussing, even if it's not convenient for you.

nWo

I'm sorry but this thread is disgusting. Local 25s actions were nothing short of shameful. And a $500 initiation fee for a seasonal minimum wage job? C'mon! We have single mothers on the news crying because they received $14.51 for 41 hours! That's 35 cents a hour. 35 cents a hour. 35 cents a hour. 35 cents a hour. But that makes her a freeloader according to local 25? Give me a flipping break. Stop treating seasonal employees as ATMs. Start treating them as hard working Americans.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
I'm sorry but this thread is disgusting. Local 25s actions were nothing short of shameful. And a $500 initiation fee for a seasonal minimum wage job? C'mon! We have single mothers on the news crying because they received $14.51 for 41 hours! That's 35 cents a hour. 35 cents a hour. 35 cents a hour. 35 cents a hour. But that makes her a freeloader according to local 25? Give me a flipping break. Stop treating seasonal employees as ATMs. Start treating them as hard working Americans.
UPS sandbagged it so they can say "SEE THE UNION SUCKS"

Brownnote

It's a simple fix. Don't charge an initiation fee until you get a seniority date and IF a union dues withdrawal isn't processed on seasonals correctly, UPS pays.

Yolo

We've had issues like this in my local. It's usually just a clerical error. I'm sure with such a large number of people affected by it that the local will work to fix the issue ASAP.

I disagree with seasonals paying initiation fees but I laugh at the thought of this being thought of as a criminal act.

Also union dues do not go towards the pension.

It's called fraud buddy. It was a criminal act. That's why it gave the Teamsters a major black eye. Remember the new hires are not the enemy. Management is the enemy.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
To mine surprise, when I received my pay check today it stated $0. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then other employees started expressing similar concerns saying either the majority or the entirety of their paycheck had been drained, even their attendance bonuses. paycheck to paycheck.
Union up there really screwing over the little guy!

Why would anybody sign on?
giphy-3.gif
giphy-5.gif