Local 705 Contract Update

Waldo

i received this letter walking out the CACH building today. Thought I would share. Any thoughts?
2B922497-7F2D-4A04-BC06-7FAACCC60510.jpeg

Inthegame

"We began negotiating with the company on July 10, 2018, we are working diligently to address your needs."

Hmmm...so waiting til three weeks before expiration to begin negotiating is "working diligently?"

That sounds like a round peg trying to fit in a square hole.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That’s because the company refused to start negotiations until the master was agreed upon
Is that what you were told? Might want to check on labor laws concerning expiring contracts.
ITG is right, as all agreements expire simultaneously, so they all must submit the proper documentation to "open" each agreement, within the same time constraints.

Still begs the question, "how can we vote Yes on our Supplements until we're comfortable voting yes on the National Master"?

How can we be sure our Supplement has addressed all of our "autonomous" issues, until we know what radically new proposal is accepted or set aside?

I think I have to VOTE NO on all of them until I'm satisfied with the National Master.

Inthegame

ITG is right, as all agreements expire simultaneously, so they all must submitted the proper documentation to "open" each agreement, within the same time constraints.

Still begs the question, "how can we vote Yes on our Supplements until we're comfortable voting yes on the National Master"?

How can we be sure our Supplement has addressed all of our "autonomous" issues, until we know what radically new proposal is accepted or set aside?

I think I have to VOTE NO on all of them until I'm satisfied with the National Master.
Tend to agree with you on the supplements and riders. If the "lesser" agreements are passed and the Master gets tweaked after failing, there's no recourse to change supplements/riders unless those changes are then addressed in the renegotiated Master. Hope everyone with a Supplement/Rider is ready for that.

Back to the hot topic...

If L705 and L710 follow their own Master(s), why did they have representatives on the National Master Negotiating Committee?
The whole separate agreement deal is a charade, as they follow the NMA nearly word for word.
There are riders and local supplements that have more diversification in language than the L705/L710 books.

WorkingAsDirected

So what about preventing the company from giving out bonuses to a select group of union employees? Supposedly the company found a "loophole" and found a way to do this with our last contract. As far as I know, no new language has been introduced in 705 or anywhere else to fix this problem.
We still get new hires quitting at Cach with the bonus which would come out to be about $18 an hour. What makes you think they will stay for $13 an hour with no bonus.
Good chance the bonuses will happen again in my opinion. I've been telling everyone this within the sound of my voice but no one cares....

Oh well, I guess I will continue to write up Supervisors for working because we are not staffed. Oh wait.... that doesnt work! I literally have hundreds and hundreds of hours worth of griveances from as far back as 2015 that have never been settled.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
So what is preventing the company from giving out bonuses to a select group of union employees? Supposedly the company found a "loophole" and found a way to do this with our last contract. As far as I know, no new language has been introduced in 705 or anywhere else to fix this problem.
We still get new hires quitting at Cach with the bonus which would come out to be about $18 an hour. What makes you think they will stay for $13 an hour with no bonus.
Good chance the bonuses will happen again in my opinion. I've been telling everyone this within the sound of my voice but no one cares....

Oh well, I guess I will continue to write up Supervisors for working because we are not staffed. Oh wait.... that doesnt work! I literally have hundreds and hundreds of hours worth of griveances from as far back as 2015 that have never been settled.
I think we may already be seeing this, as certain regional and local supplements (and their officials) are trying to sell their language on the guise that "if it doesn't pass, it's off the table and will be withdrawn"???

How is this not exaxtly what you are warning us against?

WorkingAsDirected

I read the local 705 initial proposal and no changes were made regarding employee bonuses (section 55.2) Now this may be because of two reasons: The agreement was already clearly written and didn't have to be changed or the union is not working in the best interest of the employee.

From what I have been told by my BA and read on this forum, bonuses went into arbitration and lost which happened somewhere in the west coast. I believe arbitration lost because the language of the contract in that area my have been vague and weak. So does that ruling apply to all area's that have a different contract with different language.? I think local 705 has the most clearly written language on bonuses.

Regardless, the Union said this loophole would be fixed and we were lied to. If anyone has the written decision of said arbitration I would love to read it.
20180517_065627.jpg

Waldo

I’ve been one to be enjoying the bonus. It was supposed to stop Aug 1st if we had a new contract and the $13 rate, but since no contract or raise has happened the bonus has been extended. Nobody would probably stay for the lousy $10.35/hr rate. I average 28 hrs a week so with the bonus it comes to about $15.50 an hour for me (of course it’s going to fluctuate on how many hours worked). I’ve still got about 10 days to go until I hit the 40 day mark and get into the union.

WorkingAsDirected

I’ve been one to be enjoying the bonus. It was supposed to stop Aug 1st if we had a new contract and the $13 rate, but since no contract or raise has happened the bonus has been extended. Nobody would probably stay for the lousy $10.35/hr rate. I average 28 hrs a week so with the bonus it comes to about $15.50 an hour for me (of course it’s going to fluctuate on how many hours worked). I’ve still got about 10 days to go until I hit the 40 day mark and get into the union.

How long are they extending the bonus? You know you are getting retro pay that started August 1. So this means a new hire is making close to $20 an hour on a 20 hour week if you figure for retro pay plus bonus.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
40 days....it's 30 here???

Another nonsensical example of regional or local "autonomy", for employees governed by a "National Master"???

I mean really people....????

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How long are they extending the bonus? You know you are getting retro pay that started August 1. So this means a new hire is making close to $20 an hour on a 20 hour week if you figure for retro pay plus bonus.
If they are getting this bonus, the Company is not recognizing them as a seniority employees....

....so why would they award back pay???

maxresdefault.jpg

The clock stopped on August 1st....

Last edited: