local sort jumping a cover driver?? Help!!

djvette80

I qualified to cover drive in October of last year and have driven quit a bit on and off since. I occasionally drive air in the morning and work some preload. I also drive every Saturday. There are 5 or 6 full time drivers retiring this year and i was hoping to move up the line. Now I am finding out a few guys from local sort are qualifying to drive in the next month. They have been with the company longer but i have been cover driving longer. Can they jump me in seniority? Is there anything i can do to protect my place in line or will i be pushed back down to the bottom of the line again? Help please! I have a baby on the way and 2 other kids to provide for. I cant afford to not drive after we have gotten use to the income.

Yes they can jump you but they also have to qualify. The only thing that be on your side is how the bid is worded. Sometimes they are open to everyone, sometimes they are offered to qualifyed drivers.

barnyard

KTM rider
Depends on how the classification works. In my building, everyone keeps their company seniority. If they have more seniority than you and you are all PT, they will go FT before you.

JustDeliverIt

I qualified to cover drive in October of last year and have driven quit a bit on and off since. I occasionally drive air in the morning and work some preload. I also drive every Saturday. There are 5 or 6 full time drivers retiring this year and i was hoping to move up the line. Now I am finding out a few guys from local sort are qualifying to drive in the next month. They have been with the company longer but i have been cover driving longer. Can they jump me in seniority? Is there anything i can do to protect my place in line or will i be pushed back down to the bottom of the line again? Help please! I have a baby on the way and 2 other kids to provide for. I cant afford to not drive after we have gotten use to the income.

They can jump you because even though you drive and they don't, you are still all considered part time. So they start at the top and work their way down the bid sheet. Like @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U said, they do still have to qualify so you have a leg up there.

Chances are, even if they do hire 5 guys that are ahead of you, you will still drive about the same as you are now. They are just replacing the 5 guys that are leaving that were already above you so things shouldn't change much. Just have to keep signing the FT sheet every time you see it and wait your turn.

They can jump you because even though you drive and they don't, you are still all considered part time. So they start at the top and work their way down the bid sheet. Like @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U said, they do still have to qualify so you have a leg up there.

Chances are, even if they do hire 5 guys that are ahead of you, you will still drive about the same as you are now. They are just replacing the 5 guys that are leaving that were already above you so things shouldn't change much. Just have to keep signing the FT sheet every time you see it and wait your turn.
Good sound advice!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
i am sure they wont drive saturday

Mycow

Nothing you can do I was cover for the 6 of my 9 years part time. Not only can local sort workers go fulltime before you anyone in your local can go before you if they have more local seniority

Mycow

Quick add if you are a cover driver you will have more seniority to deliver ground over them till they go fulltime but they will have more seniority to deliver air over you

djvette80

wow... Its amazing to me that after all the time i have spent working and trying to wait for a full time spot to open up so i can move up, joe blow thats been working preload for 10 years can say ya know what i want to drive now and completely jump and take the full time spot. seems pretty crazy to me. even though i do not have as many years with the company i do have more time driving. there are already 5 cover drivers in front of me waiting for a full time spot to open so now all of these local sort are going to jump us all.... seems like i will never get the opportunity to drive full time if this is how this company does things..

wow... Its amazing to me that after all the time i have spent working and trying to wait for a full time spot to open up so i can move up, joe blow thats been working preload for 10 years can say ya know what i want to drive now and completely jump and take the full time spot. seems pretty crazy to me. even though i do not have as many years with the company i do have more time driving. there are already 5 cover drivers in front of me waiting for a full time spot to open so now all of these local sort are going to jump us all.... seems like i will never get the opportunity to drive full time if this is how this company does things..
It's called seniority. If it was reversed from your situation wouldn't you be mad that someone with less time than you got the opportunity to work before you?

542thruNthru

Some people have second jobs and families. They can't take the chance of being a cover driver and not working fulltime at points during the year. So they wait their turn to become a FT driver. Just like you'll have to. Just because you started cover driving first doesn't mean anything. Heck someone could start at UPS at 18 and can't drive till they are 21. So because of that their 3 years of seniority shouldn't count?

Sorry you feel screwed over but it's how it works and it's the right thing.

Some people have second jobs and families. They can't take the chance of being a cover driver and not working fulltime at points during the year. So they wait their turn to become a FT driver. Just like you'll have to. Just because you started cover driving first doesn't mean anything. Heck someone could start at UPS at 18 and can't drive till they are 21. So because of that their 3 years of seniority shouldn't count?

Sorry you feel screwed over but it's how it works and it's the right thing.
Hi might get lucky. How many threads have we read that I hit something on day 27.…...

Mycow

Should be thankful that you have the opportunity to make alot more then just pre loading. Many ppl in the huge centers never get the opportunity to cover before fulltime so they stuck at 10 15k a year where driving peak you'll make more then that