Locker Room/ Rest Rooms

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The solution, Integrity usually provides in his own threads....

Is advocating the termination of his fellow Teamster co-workers.

​-Bug-

Some we're having a vibrant sexual relationship with their spouse this morning.

Some were on the internet telling everyone else why they are wrong.

Now ow which one wasted a perfectly good start to the day?
It is not a waste of time if you spend all of your spare time away from a job that you loathe whining incessantly about the job that you loathe. Or telling everyone else how to perform the job that they loathe. Or telling newcomers that they will learn to loathe their new job. Or tell newcomers what they can and can't post on BrownCafe. Lol?

Integrity

Binge Poster

​-Bug-
BigUnionGuy,

I advocate this only as in last resort in the instances where the employee simply refuses to change their behavior.

I don't recall this being relevant in this thread?

Sincerely,
I

air_dr

I have found this to be one of Integrity's better and more thought provoking threads...

The OP seems to suggest to me that I's work takes him to many different facilities...

I AM surprised that someone didn't long ago nip in the bud what he described...I have seen no such thing in the hub out of which I work and I can't imagine it being allowed.

However, I am not sure I would base this discussion on someone being "seriously offended." I don't think we have a right to demand that everything we see and hear keep us within our comfort zone. Some employees including drivers have radios by them. Some employee may choose to listen to a Christian radio station and someone else could claim to be "seriously offended." My short response to that would be "too bad."

Instead I think this is better discussed in terms of a slippery slope and a coarsening of the work environment. If something is allowed in lockers, why not one's immediate work area? Most importantly, the OP did bring to mind an anecdote I once heard, and this is my basic response and main contribution to this thread: This exchange took place place during the Civil War. (Hope I have all my facts right.) An officer was going to tell a dirty joke, but first asked if there were any ladies around. Robert E Lee, who was in on the conversation said "No, but there are gentlemen."

Years ago now when I was on the preload, someone working next to me put up a picture from like a Playboy in his work area, as a joke more than anything, I believe. I can't say I was "seriously offended" though I didn't think it was appropriate. Anyway that material wasn't up for three minutes before the first sup who happened to walk by told him to take it down. I believe he made the right call.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

​-Bug-

BigUnionGuy,

I advocate this only as in last resort in the instances where the employee simply refuses to change their behavior.

Sincerely,
I

Another Union employee's behavior.... really shouldn't be your concern.

Oh....

You're a part-time supervisor.

That lessens your "opinion" even more.

​-Bug-

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have found this to be one of Integrity's better and more thought provoking threads... The OP seems to suggest to me that I's work takes him to many different facilities... I AM surprised that someone didn't long ago nip in the bud what he described...I have seen no such thing in the hub out of which I work and I can't imagine it being allowed. However, I am not sure I would base this discussion on someone being "seriously offended." I don't think we have a right to demand that everything we see and hear keep us within our comfort zone. Some employees including drivers have radios by them. Some employee may choose to listen to a Christian radio station and someone else could claim to be "seriously offended." My short response to that would be "too bad." Instead I think this is better discussed in terms of a slippery slope and a coarsening of the work environment. If something is allowed in lockers, why not one's immediate work area? Most importantly, the OP did bring to mind an anecdote I once heard, and this is my basic response and main contribution to this thread: This exchange took place place during the Civil War. (Hope I have all my facts right.) An officer was going to tell a dirty joke, but first asked if there were any ladies around. Robert E Lee, who was in on the conversation said "No, but there are gentlemen." Years ago now when I was on the preload, someone working next to me put up a picture from like a Playboy in his work area, as a joke more than anything, I believe. I can't say I was "seriously offended" though I didn't think it was appropriate. Anyway that material wasn't up for three minutes before the first sup who happened to walk by told him to take it down. I believe he made the right call.
air_dr,

Very nice contribution.

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have found this to be one of Integrity's better and more thought provoking threads...

It's is a really low bar to jump over.

Do you think that each post should be evaluated as to whether it reaches an acceptable level of sincerity?

What is your comfort zone?

Are you a gentleman or a lady?

Inquiringly,

H

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Everyone has their own opinion. My point was, i'm not gonna rat out a driver, be it a dirty calendar, a playboy or empty beer cans in their tote (which incidentally i found while rummaging for tape) It's none of my business.....i just lift packages.
I wouldn't rat anyone out either. If I thought for half a second that having calendars and such was a major issue for the problems at UPS then I would. But all things being equal it isn't. So I don't care. But I also don't hold a grudge for someone who is insulted or adversely affected by calendars and decides to report them. That's their issue and UPS is bound by a code of conduct to keep the workplace professional. While I don't mind the calendars and such there is zero argument to be made that they help foster a professional environment. Catch 22 in this case.

blkmamba

blkmamba,

No. What is your point?

Do tell.

Sincerely,
I
The point is if you are as offended as you seem to be, why would you not report the incident? I am just saying that by standing by and not saying anything what will change? This would have been a much more worrisome issue if you had reported it and nothing was done. Just out of curiosity, will you report the issue? If your answer is no, why are you not going to report it?
As a former supervisor who actually tried to do right by my employees, we can't attempt to solve a problem if we do not know one exist.

MassWineGuy

Oh my god! Hard working, hard living men with photos of nude women in their lockers. So what? Yes, it could be criticized on some levels, but aren't there enough other, more serious things to protest?

Integrity

Binge Poster
The point is if you are as offended as you seem to be, why would you not report the incident? I am just saying that by standing by and not saying anything what will change? This would have been a much more worrisome issue if you had reported it and nothing was done. Just out of curiosity, will you report the issue? If your answer is no, why are you not going to report it?
As a former supervisor who actually tried to do right by my employees, we can't attempt to solve a problem if we do not know one exist.
blkmamba,

This was brought forth for discussion.

I never claimed to be very offended.

No, I am not going to report it.

It is not important enough to me for me to report it.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Your first post seemed like you were real concerned.

Perhaps it is Insincerity.
Mr Jingles,

I disagree.

My original post doesn't show that I was anything more than troubled by what I saw.

I was more concerned about those who it may seriously offend.

Sincerely,
I