Locomotive Engineer looking for new career

oldngray

nowhere special
Me too! But it will probably be the new norm? Who knows?
giphy.gif

More than likely that job posting is for a seasonal driver position. After January 15th you will be laid off and might be offered a job as a preloader making what like 10 or 13 an hr. 3 hrs a day. Then if you take that position you will have to do that for years depending on your hub to get a chance to get a FT position. Then you have to go four years to make top rate and more than likely you still will be a cover driver meaning you dont have your own route.
thank you! just the info i was looking for. honesty i hear what you guys are saying and i appreciate the info. we could go back and forth about which job is worse ect, but at the end of the day, you guys/gals sleep in your bed every night ( for the most part ) and i don't, plain and simple. i heard not stop horror stories about the RR that proved to be untrue. but the RR is not a job, its a lifestyle. except for you're 2 weeks of vacation and your sick days, they own you, and when your 24 hours of sickness is done, expect to be called within the hour. the RR is good for one thing, letting you know who are your true friends! the other "friends" will only take so many "maybe's" before they stop calling. i just wanted to get a feel for how it is starting at UPS, i appreciate the info, thanks

km3

hopefully i'm posing in the right section, apologizes if not. Like the title says, ive worked for the BNSF railway for 7 years,(5 years as Engineer. 2 as conductor) hiring out when i was 23. i live in the Pacific NW and can basically hold any Road job i want. i have really good seniority because i hired out at the right time, never been laid off or forced to work in a different terminal. In the time ive worked there, i average around $90k a year and can make more if i want. But as they say....Money isnt everything and i am so burnt out on Freight and having no schedule and crazy hours. Im looking for a change.

I see they are hiring for a Delivery Driver in Salt Lake City, i have family there. Can you actually start out as a driver? i remember applying a long time ago for a part time package handler, i thought that was the only way to work up to being a driver. Anyway, am i INSANE to do a career transition?? i cant imagine UPS being more chaotic then BNSF, but please prove me wrong. thanks in advance.

I'd kill to have your job. Stay where you are and never leave.

km3

and i'd kill to have your job.
from what i read on this site they do hire maybe 1/5 drivers off the street?

1/6, and those days are numbered with Article 22.4s coming in. Maybe 6 months ago you would have had a chance. Soon, it'll take 5-10 years to go driving as an RPCD with overtime protections.

in 7 years the one thing that never gets old is hearing people say "oh thats a good job". haha, and how would you know? i want to ask. so just a month ago they hired 10 or so in Vancouver WA 8 in Wishram and as always like 40 in seattle cuz its a black hole up there.

my dad tells me he wishes he were like me and got hired with a RR early on. i tell him no you dont, because you would have no relationship with your kids, been divorced twice be an alcoholic like most of us are. good thing for me i dont have kids. oh yeah, divorce rates are insane at this place,

km3

my dad tells me he wishes he were like me and got hired with a RR early on. i tell him no you dont, because you would have no relationship with your kids, been divorced twice be an alcoholic like most of us are. good thing for me i dont have kids. oh yeah, divorce rates are insane at this place,

Same at UPS. I hope that's not your only reason.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
hopefully i'm posing in the right section, apologizes if not. Like the title says, ive worked for the BNSF railway for 7 years,(5 years as Engineer. 2 as conductor) hiring out when i was 23. i live in the Pacific NW and can basically hold any Road job i want. i have really good seniority because i hired out at the right time, never been laid off or forced to work in a different terminal. In the time ive worked there, i average around $90k a year and can make more if i want. But as they say....Money isnt everything and i am so burnt out on Freight and having no schedule and crazy hours. Im looking for a change.

I see they are hiring for a Delivery Driver in Salt Lake City, i have family there. Can you actually start out as a driver? i remember applying a long time ago for a part time package handler, i thought that was the only way to work up to being a driver. Anyway, am i INSANE to do a career transition?? i cant imagine UPS being more chaotic then BNSF, but please prove me wrong. thanks in advance.
How long is a shift?