Loss of Insurance if off a week?

UPSmechanicinblue

Talk at work is if you take unscheduled time off for one week or more you lose your health insurance. I seen in earlier post that if your off you have to notify HR and the union to go on disability to keep your insurance. How long of time off is it until you loose insurance? if injured off job and you contact HR and Union what kind of insurance do you get? Also how long do you get insurance?(earlier post said 6 weeks and 6 months) I'm just asking to clear up rumors at work-some are talking if they get hurt of the job they now will loose insurance after a week and are on their own with no insurance until they return to work. Others just want an unscheduled week off work but are told they loose their insurance and if happen to get hurt they are with none. This is the Central Region, Michigan rider-Teamcare Thanks

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Talk at work is if you take unscheduled time off for one week or more you lose your health insurance. I seen in earlier post that if your off you have to notify HR and the union to go on disability to keep your insurance. How long of time off is it until you loose insurance? if injured off job and you contact HR and Union what kind of insurance do you get? Also how long do you get insurance?(earlier post said 6 weeks and 6 months) I'm just asking to clear up rumors at work-some are talking if they get hurt of the job they now will loose insurance after a week and are on their own with no insurance until they return to work. Others just want an unscheduled week off work but are told they loose their insurance and if happen to get hurt they are with none. This is the Central Region, Michigan rider-Teamcare Thanks
Did you talk to your BA?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
If you are off work on disability you should be applying for FMLA. Health insurance would then be covered for 12 weeks.

Inthegame

The union bulletin board is restricted to union generated material, not for postings to counter rumors (you'd need a much larger board for that). Your BA will have accurate info regarding disability coverage. Ask for a contract book when you speak to your BA.

iowa boy

We were told as long as you have one day showing any sort of compensation, your insurance is paid for the week. If you are out on work comp, vacation, or anything where the company pays you, you are covered.

As for compensation, we were told, if your management okays it, you can go in and empty garbage cans for an hour and keep your insurance for the week.

But as I said, this is what we were told.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

You can collect short term disability for up to 26 weeks if you are hurt off the job. You are covered by Teamcare, the same plan you have now, as long as you are on short term disability. You must contact HR and the union.

If you exhaust your short term disability and have to go on long term disability, you are covered by Teamcare for up to an additional 52 weeks.

If you elect to take a week off without pay and have no compensable time for the week, you do not have insurance for that week unless you pay the COBRA premium.

For Teamcare, the week starts on Sunday. You need to work at least 1 day during the week or have some other kind of compensable time, ie holiday, option day, vacation day, etc. If you don't, you will not have insurance for the week and any doctors, hospitals bills, prescriptions, etc you had for that week will not be paid.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We were told as long as you have one day showing any sort of compensation, your insurance is paid for the week. If you are out on work comp, vacation, or anything where the company pays you, you are covered.

As for compensation, we were told, if your management okays it, you can go in and empty garbage cans for an hour and keep your insurance for the week.

But as I said, this is what we were told.

What you were told was correct.

P

pickup

Just wanted to check something out by Googling. I was wondering if having a week long lapse in coverage would expose a person to a penalty(tax) under the ObamaCare law.

From the little I Googled, apparently if you have less than 3 months of non coverage in a calendar year, you don't have to pay a tax penalty.

RealPerson

You can collect short term disability for up to 26 weeks if you are hurt off the job. You are covered by Teamcare, the same plan you have now, as long as you are on short term disability. You must contact HR and the union.

If you exhaust your short term disability and have to go on long term disability, you are covered by Teamcare for up to an additional 52 weeks.

If you elect to take a week off without pay and have no compensable time for the week, you do not have insurance for that week unless you pay the COBRA premium.

For Teamcare, the week starts on Sunday. You need to work at least 1 day during the week or have some other kind of compensable time, ie holiday, option day, vacation day, etc. If you don't, you will not have insurance for the week and any doctors, hospitals bills, prescriptions, etc you had for that week will not be paid.

THIS is the BEST answer above!!!!
Also,
My BA said, if something BAD happens you can pay Cobra for that week.
You definitely want to ask your BA, and maybe have it in writing...

UPSmechanicinblue

Thanks for the replies!!!!! I will contact BA for something in writing. I thought maybe there would be a simple link to go to and print. No one knows of the short term disability so they make it out to be very bad.

UPSGUY72

Thank god I'm in and have always been in a Union run healthcare plan. I can be off for six months and still have insurance. I just need one months with I believe is 150 or 160 hrs and I'm good for yhe next 6 months.

rp3

I lost insurance for a couple weeks due to lay off. I was told I only needed one punch a month, not true need one a week. Due to new contract.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Just wanted to check something out by Googling. I was wondering if having a week long lapse in coverage would expose a person to a penalty(tax) under the ObamaCare law.

From the little I Googled, apparently if you have less than 3 months of non coverage in a calendar year, you don't have to pay a tax penalty.

Not 100% sure if an individual would actually be exposed to "losing coverage", but absolutely expect to get dinged for a payroll garnishment to cover the company's contribution to TeamCare for the week in question.

I was taken out of work pre-TeamCare for union businesses for about a month. Union cut UPS a check to cover my benefits while I was out but there was some breakdown between the company plan/local HR/local management and they cancelled my coverage. Once it was reinstated, they docked a paycheck for part of the insurance premiums. It was a huge mess and was eventually fixed.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not 100% sure if an individual would actually be exposed to "losing coverage", but absolutely expect to get dinged for a payroll garnishment to cover the company's contribution to TeamCare for the week in question.

I was taken out of work pre-TeamCare for union businesses for about a month. Union cut UPS a check to cover my benefits while I was out but there was some breakdown between the company plan/local HR/local management and they cancelled my coverage. Once it was reinstated, they docked a paycheck for part of the insurance premiums. It was a huge mess and was eventually fixed.
No payroll garnishment. You do not have healthcare for the week you do not work.
THIS is the BEST answer above!!!!
Also,
My BA said, if something BAD happens you can pay Cobra for that week.
You definitely want to ask your BA, and maybe have it in writing...

You have 3 options when you do not work, or have any compensated time in the week.
1. Do nothing. You do not have to pick up the COBRA for the week, but if you see a doctor or have any medical bills for the week, they will not be covered.

2. Pay the COBRA. I believe it is around $300 for the week, but you will then have insurance for the week.

3. Do nothing and if you do have to see a doctor, wait for the COBRA notice (usually takes a few weeks to catch up to you) and compare what the doctors bills are vs the COBRA payment. You may come out ahead just paying the doctor bill.

If it serious, like a hospital visit, you just need to pay the COBRA payment when you get it and your insurance reverts back to the week you had none and the hospital bills will be paid.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Thanks for the replies!!!!! I will contact BA for something in writing. I thought maybe there would be a simple link to go to and print. No one knows of the short term disability so they make it out to be very bad.
The best I can do right now.

Teamcare Cover.jpg

Teamcare  4.jpg

Teamcare 38.jpg