Loss of Insurance if off a week?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

None of my business, but why would a single person need $500k in life insurance?

Experts say that you should be insured for up to 10 times your annual income. The policy I have is a 20 year term policy, which I purchased when I was 41 to protect me while I am working. My children are 50/50 beneficiaries. I pay just under $50/month for the policy.

MrWon

You can collect short term disability for up to 26 weeks if you are hurt off the job. You are covered by Teamcare, the same plan you have now, as long as you are on short term disability. You must contact HR and the union.

If you exhaust your short term disability and have to go on long term disability, you are covered by Teamcare for up to an additional 52 weeks.

If you elect to take a week off without pay and have no compensable time for the week, you do not have insurance for that week unless you pay the COBRA premium.

For Teamcare, the week starts on Sunday. You need to work at least 1 day during the week or have some other kind of compensable time, ie holiday, option day, vacation day, etc. If you don't, you will not have insurance for the week and any doctors, hospitals bills, prescriptions, etc you had for that week will not be paid.

What about during a transfer? I'm clear to transfer and I have been accepted at a destination facility, but I will be off a week unpaid. I am scheduled to be off 1 week and a day. Will I loose my benefits? My wife told me she has an appointment for the Thursday I am out and I remembered hearing somewhere that we loose benefits if out for a week. Just didn't know how it works in a transfer situation. If I have to Ill work a day or pre schedule an option day for the week I'm absent at the facility I'm leaving, but that's only if I have to.

P

pickup

What about during a transfer? I'm clear to transfer and I have been accepted at a destination facility, but I will be off a week unpaid. I am scheduled to be off 1 week and a day. Will I loose my benefits? My wife told me she has an appointment for the Thursday I am out and I remembered hearing somewhere that we loose benefits if out for a week. Just didn't know how it works in a transfer situation. If I have to Ill work a day or pre schedule an option day for the week I'm absent at the facility I'm leaving, but that's only if I have to.

To be on the safe side, work a day or preschedule the option day, that way there is no issue. To be on the really safe side, work the day, prescheduled option days sometimes don't make all the steps from the verbal agreement to the payroll's final numbers.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Do what pickup said. Transferering is the same as not working. Under Teamcare, any week you do not have any kind of compensable time, you do not have insurance.

MrWon

Do what pickup said. Transferering is the same as not working. Under Teamcare, any week you do not have any kind of compensable time, you do not have insurance.

Cool.... I talked to hr and they said there is nothing preventing me from working 1 day. I just have to run it by the hub mngr tonight.

thessalonian13

Talk at work is if you take unscheduled time off for one week or more you lose your health insurance. I seen in earlier post that if your off you have to notify HR and the union to go on disability to keep your insurance. How long of time off is it until you loose insurance? if injured off job and you contact HR and Union what kind of insurance do you get? Also how long do you get insurance?(earlier post said 6 weeks and 6 months) I'm just asking to clear up rumors at work-some are talking if they get hurt of the job they now will loose insurance after a week and are on their own with no insurance until they return to work. Others just want an unscheduled week off work but are told they loose their insurance and if happen to get hurt they are with none. This is the Central Region, Michigan rider-Teamcare Thanks
I was covering a clercking job for a week and they messed up my paycheck and my hours were not entered for the week. I did not get paid. I went to the doctor's office that week because I had the flu and my daughter had an x-ray done. I was billed for those and I was told that I was not covered by insurance for that week even though I worked. I am still fighting it 6 months later.

MrWon

To be on the safe side, work a day or preschedule the option day, that way there is no issue. To be on the really safe side, work the day, prescheduled option days sometimes don't make all the steps from the verbal agreement to the payroll's final numbers.

Ill probably go in and save my option day. All I need is a card swipe they may even send me home. Lol one of the perks of seniority that I will loose.

Johney

Ill probably go in and save my option day. All I need is a card swipe they may even send me home. Lol one of the perks of seniority that I will loose.
Not quite. My understanding is you need to work(be on the clock) at least 59 minutes to be covered for the week.

MrWon

Not quite. My understanding is you need to work(be on the clock) at least 59 minutes to be covered for the week.

I can ask a steward I am friends with, but from what I understand we just have to clock in once a week. If the company lays us off all week we are still good. Come to think about it I called Team Care yesterday and they said something very similar (I just had to go into work one day). Not saying you are wrong, but it might be different from region to region. I know a lot of higher sr guys who are allergic to work and they may work a whole of 15 min a week. I have not heard them complain about lapse of medical care, but they could just not be using it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Experts say that you should be insured for up to 10 times your annual income. The policy I have is a 20 year term policy, which I purchased when I was 41 to protect me while I am working. My children are 50/50 beneficiaries. I pay just under $50/month for the policy.
Doesn't the 20 year term policy only cover you if you pass away??How would this policy protect you when you're gone except for the kids to get something when you die during that 20 years.